Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Craftsman's 856C & 857C
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am in need of help & advice, because my tractor has little to no spark. I brought it to my local fair for the tractor show about 2 weeks ago, I pushed it on the trailer to bring it there and pushed it off the trailer when I got to the grounds then fired it up. It ran for about 1 minute then died then would not restart. It has not restarted since then but it turns over just fine. I need to buy a voltage regulator for it because the battery does not charge, so I was thinking of buying one from Norman at ISaveTractors. Please let me know if I should get one from him or elsewhere. That I don't believe would stop making it run though.

The main problem right now for me is the spark so it can actually fire and run, it has a very small amount to none at all. We tried different plugs and that does not seem to be the issue. When we meter the small wire to the magneto it shows a circuit. Now should it show a circuit or show it be open??

Thanks for everyone's input in advance, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes, there is a circuit from the small wire to ground. I measure about 9 ohms. What are you measuring? Maybe your ground connection is not good? Here's a U-Tube video that may help:

·
Registered
1967 Craftsman's 856C & 857C
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What IS the tractor, what's the ignition (magneto, points/coil)?

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
The tractor is a yellow 1967 Craftsman, the one in my profile picture made by Roper corp.

There are points in the motor, it does have a magneto.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would file points just enough so contacts are clean. Replace condenser if it has one.
Disconnect spark plug lead, meter check that to magneto body. Should be about 3K-5K ohms. Otherwise replace magneto.
Other charging problem it probably has a stator coil. Check those two leads which go to diode+regulator module, resistance will be low, about 1 ohm or less.
The two work by magnets inside (up under) flywheel. Two could be related.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts