Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle says when my dad was young, he could hold a 50lb post mall vertically by the handle with his arm outstretched, then lower the mall down, touch his nose, then raise it back up. Before I ask my dad if it's true, I wanted to find out if there is or was such a thing as a 50 lb mall. Anyone have any ideas? He's 92 now and no doubt would remember the trick, but maybe not exactly how heavy a mall it was. (This question was brought on my another Uncle who's a know-it-all and says it isn't possible and that there's no such thing as a 50lb mall.)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
:ditto: Never heard of one that big and it would be big.
Jody

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never heard of a 50LBer, we got a 10Lb fencing maul, and it's heavy enough to swing, I can't see you beeing able to swing a 50 effectively.:smoking:

·
674 Posts
I have an uncle that used to say he was so strong that his arm was the model for the Arm & Hammer baking soda box.... You know how uncles are. Now that I am an adult I know better and it is my turn to tease my niece’s and nephews.:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I used a 8 and 10 lb hammer --biggest one I ever saw was a 18 lb hammer -- saw a 22 lb double hand post sledeg -- they call them post drivers up here -- two hands on either side -- hollow pipe and you slip it over the postand raise it and drop it down on post

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by Old_Nodaker
My uncle says when my dad was young, he could hold a 50lb post mall vertically by the handle with his arm outstretched, then lower the mall down, touch his nose, then raise it back up. Before I ask my dad if it's true, I wanted to find out if there is or was such a thing as a 50 lb mall. Anyone have any ideas? He's 92 now and no doubt would remember the trick, but maybe not exactly how heavy a mall it was. (This question was brought on my another Uncle who's a know-it-all and says it isn't possible and that there's no such thing as a 50lb mall.)
what the heck is a 50lb post mall??????????

·
Registered
97 Posts
Next time you get into sears, go to the fitness area.

Pick up a 50# weight (for those less confident in themselves, start at 5# and work your way up).

Now, picture swinging that on the end of a stick... I'm pretty sure the fitest and best in the NFL, Boxing, and all of the tough guy sports coudn't do it. I don't know how built this guy is, but 50# is a lot.

Could that be done? Yeah.. I think so... by those guys named Sven on the toughman contest. They can lift 300# over their heads, I bet they can do what you are asking.

Did your uncle do it..... probably not.

-Deere

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: Re: Myth busting - need some help

Originally posted by jbetts13
what the heck is a 50lb post mall??????????
It is much like a sledge hammer, but with large flat faces for driving fence posts.

BTW, come to think of it, ours likely is a 20lb. I guess now I'll have to weigh it! :D :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I bet old big John the coal miner probably had one of those, and probably Paul Bunyan. They would be about the only two dudes I can think of that could swing such an animal.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
50 lbs is a LOT of weight on the end of a stick. Heck I have a 16lb sledge, and after a few min of swinging that bad boy, I realy feel it, and I am no little guy. 50lb??? I am not buying it. I would have to see, to belive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, you all seem to be correct. I can't find anybody who knows of anything larger that 16lb. In fact, I have a picture of him swinging at a post and I would say it looks like a 16 lb'er. Until I find more, I'll consider it a myth busted.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Old_Nodaker
[B Until I find more, I'll consider it a myth busted. [/B]
I think someones been watching to much Myth Busters on TV:furious: :lmao:
Jody

·
Registered
977 Posts
not sure a 50 pound maul exists if it did it would be possible we had a neighbor could pick up a 100 pound anvil by the horn and lift it straight armed as high as his chest. he couldn't hold it there long but he could lift it

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
any buddy can lift a 50lb mall well they can try :blacksuit

me proble not and is not going to try

1 - 20 of 23 Posts