Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which model of JD tractor would have been fairly small (about Farmall Cub size), with a 1 or two cylinder engine?

I remember one being used in the field behind my parent's house about 35-40 years ago. It had avery distinctive pow-pow-pow sound and, at the time, I thought it was a single, but could possibly have been a 2 cylinder.

Anybody know what I might have seen??? Any Pictures???

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Tractor

It could be a JD L or LA made from 1937 through the 1940's used a 2cylinder Novo Gasoline-only engine.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Might have been a Model "H". They are small and also had a two cylinder engine that ran at what we would consider very low RPM and very high torque. The old Deere 2 cyl. tractors are often affectionately called "Johnny Poppers" for their distinctive popping sound.

·
Registered
51 Posts
go to one of my other sites
www.tractorpics.com and look around the JD section. You might look inthe unclassified, and even the Glen Rose show section.
Of course we expect a report if you find the one you are looking for!

jim D

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Yep, if'n I can figure out how to post one on here. AGGGHHH! I don't know how to get a picture on here. I was hoping cut and paste would work , but it does not seem to.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not an H either... Smaller than that, and without the tricycle wheel arrangement.

Honestly, it was Farmall Cub sized, with wide front axle and a pug, pug, pug sound. They used it to plow, plant and harvest a 30 acre field most of the time I was growing up. My brother got a ride once, when they were baling Hay......

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
This a Model H (I hope there is a picture)

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I don't know how to load a photo up, but the H was available as a wide front and in a couple of other configurations. There ia a great web site on the Deere "Letter" tractors specifically showcasing the Model "B" but with info on all of them. It is
http://www.terrystoy.com/Model-B/index.htm and go to Melodies's Tractor school for photos and descriptions. Terry did a restoration of a Model "B" and documented it week by week from start to finish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Now I got the photo to load, and don't know what I did different... Operator fatigue AKA pilot error?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Tractorguy
Not an H either... Smaller than that, and without the tricycle wheel arrangement.

Honestly, it was Farmall Cub sized, with wide front axle and a pug, pug, pug sound. They used it to plow, plant and harvest a 30 acre field most of the time I was growing up. My brother got a ride once, when they were baling Hay......

Anybody else????

What is it I was remembering?????

Where can I find pic's of old deeres????

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I found another photo

Did it look like this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Well, you have run me out of ideas, i hope someone else comes up with what you are looking for. You and I were born the same year, so I focused on old stuff, Maybe it was something made in the late 50's .. 60's?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDog, My Man....

I

Think

You've

Got

it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your picture of an M looks very much like what I remember

1 - 20 of 23 Posts