Tractor Forum banner
2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Groo 
#1 ·
So I’m pretty new to farming equipment/tractors etc. Bought my first home a year ago on 3 acres of clean/flat farm land. I have gained a lot of knowledge over the past year owning a cub lo boy 154 with hi/low , 60” woods belly mower, but no 3 point .
sold that to buy a lo boy 185 with a 3 point, 60” woods belly mower, but no high/low. I got frustrated with how proprietary the implements for these tractors seem to be. Not to mention they are both been 14-18 hp. Not much power for pto and 3 point use. Well just yesterday I found a great deal on a Ford 3500 industrial tractor with 3 point,rear pto, front end loader , power steering etc.
What do you guys think of these units? It’s in excellent shape, runs good, could maybe use a little carb work. No hydraulic leaks. 4 forward a 4 reverse transmission.
plan on using it to brush hog , till/cultivate, plow snow and load.
All use will be very light duty. Had to put on a new seat. This one was hurting!
Any thing I should know about these tractors? Should this serve my purposes? Thank you! Jeff
Tire Wheel Sky Snow Vehicle

Sky Automotive tire Snow Wheel Vehicle

Chair Luggage and bags Baby carriage Bag Armrest

Chair Bumper Gas Armrest Tool

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Some random thoughts;
Those are Very reliable, bullet proof old tractors.
If it has the Holley carburator, bite the bullet and buy the Zenith. The expensive one - $500.
Trying to fix that blankety blank Holley is an exercise in futility.
The 4x4 transmission is the least desirable for field work. Ford discontinued it fairly early in the series. Far better was the 6x4 which replaced it.
Since that tractor is built on the 3000 chassis you could swap the transmission pretty easily.
But remember: the clutch and flywheel always stay with the transmission. Always!
I disagree with Groo about the fuel.
That engine will run fine on any gas including ethanol mixed gas. If it must sit for some months add some Stabil to the fuel.
The power steering on that tractor is the exact same side arm style as was used on the early THREE cylinder 4000s. See photo. Very reliable but Seal kits, etc are still available from New Holland should you need them.
I am running the same front axle and steering as yours on a tractor I built out of parts and pieces - (not the blue one shown)
Wheel Tire Tractor Motor vehicle Vehicle

#14 ·
Hello everyone.

I haven't been with you for very long, so I kinda read all the threads. I also need time to read and write, because I go through the translation of a well-known search engine.

Like many, I noticed that a bolt was missing on the bucket blade. There are even two missing. The second is at the start of where it's shaded.

Have a lovely day everybody.
See you soon.
Gerald.

#9 ·
I also prefer the Marine Stabil (blue-grayish colored) for my gas equipment. It has better ethanol protection than the standard stabil pink . I get mine from Academy but they may carry it at auto part stores as well.

I don’t use it for my boat though as it sits longer than my other equipment in between use. I use a product named Valvtect that really stinks and is much more expensive, but test show it protects up to 80% longer than Marine Stabil if the testers reviews are to be trusted???

I also use Stabil Diesel in my tractor and buggy, which has a yanmar engine.

#13 ·
My diesel pickup sits in the garage all winter. I use Powerservice winter blend in it and Powerservice Bio-Kleen biocide. Been down the algae highway before and don't want to travel that highway ever again. Tractors get Powerservice too. Never had a gelling issue with either one and they sleep in a barn without electricity to plug them in.

#16 ·
Thanks a lot @SidecarFlip. Out of politeness, I respect the fact of being on an English-speaking forum. It also makes me practice the language of Shakespeare a little. 😀 I had to do several "updates" of English in my head, which I hadn't practiced for several decades in college😅. And I'm happy to exchange some comments, with North America or Australia. All over the world, in short.

Here in France we call these bolts "stove bolts" ou "boulons poêliers". I have a whole stash of them on my farm. But that's not the point here.
@jeffmetzjr must be starting to curse me, talking on his thread.

Best regards to all.
Gérald

#19 ·
Sorry!
I hadn't looked at the right photo.
Indeed.
This is very likely, whether to clean around a building or a wall. Which was the reason for the blade.
There must have been a particular shape, since the bucket is wider than the tractor. Or being able to go around corners, of a manure pit, for example.

#20 ·
I know I am more likely to remember to buy "the good stuff" than I am to buy and properly mix Stabil into the various tanks. My boat and snowmobile are both EFI 4-stroke. I run the garbage throughout the season, and the good stuff for the last 2 tanks of the sled or tank of the boat. My crawler, chainsaw, power washer, lawnmower (the mower is EFI as well) get only ethanol free. I have replaced too many carburetors in the couple of years before implementing this policy to ever want to go back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.