Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of my 71 Torino GT Conv. Last year for torino conv and only came in GT version. It's a 351Cleveland originally 2bbl but I swapped out the manifold and added a 4bbl holley. Inside is black hi-back buckets and console. One of 1639 produced and as of last time I checked back in '92 only approximately 333 were remaining and only 9 in NY. The "Laser" stripes down the side were a factory option and reflect light at night similar to the stripes on today's police cars. From what I can tell from the dealer's invoice it was equipped with F60-15 wide oval rwl tires which according to ford literature were only available with magnum 500 rims. That's about the only thing missing and since I don't drive it much, only a few miles a year, I haven't taken the almost $1500 plunge for tires/rims yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
SWEEETTTTTT!!! Real nice. I am a HUGE Ford fan, and it is nice to see some of the more odd ball cars getting the respect they deserve. I have a 72 LTD convertable. One of 4000 built. The last of the full size Fords. Only hold out, was the mustang that made it to 73 with a rag top on the option sheet.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Wow, that looks brand new !
Did you have it and continue to hold on to it, or get it recently ?

I had a 69 Olds 442 / W-30 bought it in 72 with blown engine.
I spent all my free time on that car. Held the H-Super Stock record
for a full season at Westhampton (11.66 @ 123mph).
I loved that car, but had to sell it when my wife was pregnant with
our second child. (No more time for racing) I wish I had just held
on to it.

Glad to see you didn’t suffer the same fate.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
The car looks great is the scoops in the hood functional or just for looks:question:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aegt5000
No I don't have it from new, I bought in '92 missing some moldings and nameplates, worn interior and no hubcaps/trim rings. I've since redone most of it including new reproduction interior and dash pad and chrome.

Jody
The scoops have backing plates, but I put threaded studs and wing nuts in place of the original rivets so they can be removed which they usually are. There was an optional "shaker" hood for the 351C 4bbl and 429 Super Cobra Jet that had the the scoop connected to the air cleaner and a square hole in the hood that allowed the scoop to 'shake" as the engine was revved.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Sharp looking car! :thumbsup:

My neighbor had a hard top that I think was of the same vintage till a drunk rear ended it while it was parked in front of their house. As I recall it was only few years old when that happend. :dazed:

Mark

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I purchased a new Torino in 1970...351 Cleveland..4BBL carb...300 HP right off the showroom floor....That was the era of muscle cars...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice ride, it is not something you see all the time. Everybody has a mustang, or vette. Except me but that is not the point! Thanks for sharing!:worthy:

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is sharp! I'm a major fan of the 351 Clevelands, too. Strong running engines!

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Fusion1970
That is sharp! I'm a major fan of the 351 Clevelands, too. Strong running engines!

Greg
Wile I like the C's, I am a W man myself. The Clevelands had a nice high end hit, but the W's had AWSOME grunt from low RPM's, and the lower end is just as relyable as a stone. The C's had those awsome heads, but the oiling system was a little weak. Guess thats why they built the Boss 302. best of bolth worlds.

Of corse with the new aftermarket heads, the W style breaths as good, if not better then the C's, but still the C head was unbeliveable for it's time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a Cleveland in my first car (73 Mach 1), and put it through sheer hell. It would bend pushrods on a regular basis, and once I even broke a valve spring while revving it in neutral...the coils on the valve spring intertwined, keeping the valve from hitting the piston (lucky). I got to where I could remove both valve covers, all 16 rocker arms and push rods in about 10 minutes. I had a 10 gal. fish tank that I would roll the push rods on to see which ones were bent. Once it started running kinda rough, I would usually find 3 or 4 that was bent. I'd simply replace them with new ones, and I was back on the road in minutes.

with 2.55 gears, no it was not much off the line, but would roast the tires at 25 MPH. Top end was hell, and I could get the front of the hood swaying back and forth. Im surprised I am still alive.

Those were the good ol' days!

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts