Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have logged 9 hours of cutting grass on the new GT5K. 1 week of ownership. I like the machine. Does a very good job of cutting. My biggest pet peave is the steering. It will make a much tighter turn left than right. I haven't looked to see if this is by design or if mine was put together wrong. Are they all like this? If so, has anyone found a fix? It appears to have the room, if not, this will be my new task on this new machine.

Any thoughts?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by psrumors
Ok, I have logged 9 hours of cutting grass on the new GT5K. 1 week of ownership. I like the machine. Does a very good job of cutting. My biggest pet peave is the steering. It will make a much tighter turn left than right. I haven't looked to see if this is by design or if mine was put together wrong. Are they all like this? If so, has anyone found a fix? It appears to have the room, if not, this will be my new task on this new machine.

Any thoughts?
It's by design. Because the discharge chute is on the right, they figure you'll be trimming via left hand turn.

No fix that I know of....If you find one let us know:D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks argee. I will start working immediately. I have a large open area I cut and it would be very nice to have that tight turning radius going both ways.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I would think youd have to change your a.) drag link b.) steering sector adjustment. If you get to where both are equal, then you give up a portion of the left......this sounds like the perfect case for Chipmaker or Willie.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
There are steering stop pins on spindle control arms on both sides you may be able to work with them if the sector will allow it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I too puzzled about turn radius issues. I don't really know why it turns sharper to the left. And, I don't know exactly how some models achieve significantly shorter turning radius. There's more to it than the angle of turn of the front wheels.
But, I gotta tell you, it's not one of the important things in my life. So, I just live with what I've got. And, I will design our lawn and landscaping such that I won't need a shorter turning radius.
It's just that I've got other things I'm working on.
Sorry

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Before you try to even it out just keep in mind that you will lose that tight trimming with the left side of the deck. Give it a little more time and you might find that it's a good thing. The blade on the left is very close to the edge of the deck and the way you can swing the whole tractor around real tight on the left side makes trimming close very easy.

·
674 Posts
Yup, I wondered about that with mine when I first got it. They are designed that way. If you are like me, It will take a few mowings to figure out the best "pattern" to run when cutting your lawn.

·
Registered
142 Posts
GT-5000 turn short to left

:Hi to the group. SAM/SAMSRAM LAKEVIEW OR. I now have about 15 hours and my tractor does the same (MORE TO THE LEFT)Other then that small thing I myself am pretty happy with the tractor. Gave it the first ( 1 ) oil change at 9 hours, had some smoke sometime at start up , but put MOB ( 1 ) ONE oil in and have had NOT a lick of smoke. All have a great weekend. pinsmile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts