Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I see I haven't posted here yet this month, and neither has anyone else. Here is a picture of my old Troy-Bilt Horse, vintage about 1980+/-. It started on the first pull after sleeping all winter. I got it out to get ready to make a little money tilling to pay for some Deere toys I have alrady bought.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Looking good!

I thought it was going to have 4 legs and a mouth to feed from your title! Thanks for sharing ---- Nice dependable unit there! Not like the new Troy-Bilt stuff made. :D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
too bad.. id always heard troy bilt made the best tillers.. but ive not heard too many good things about their tractors..

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the current full size Troy-Bilt Horse tillers still compare well to what was built back in the day. I kind of agree on the little tillers, in that the quality and fit and finish seem less than what I would expect, and the tractors with the Troy-Bilt name slapped on them should be an embarrassment to MTD. My first time to see them at a Lowe's was quite a shock for me! Maybe what I saw is not representitive, but those tractors looked like they were assembled by a 4th grade class during recess. Stuff was misalligned, bent, scratched, had paint blobs and runs, crooked decals, etc. Maybe all of that is due to my local Lowe's crack assembly team, but I suspect MTD has a share in the poor quality appearance as well because of the poor paint and crooked decals.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
With teeth like that it could eat your feet! I could have used that this weekend!:smoking: I borrowed my neighbors sears tiller to get some raised beds started. It is a front tine and it really beats you up! Nice tiller!:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Originally posted by admin
Looking good!

I thought it was going to have 4 legs and a mouth to feed from your title! Thanks for sharing ---- :D

:ride: I cant see it cause I am unable to open a [BMP] but like Andy I was thinking of a 4-legged critter. :ride: Either way whether it be 4-wheeled or 4-legged I have heard that if it mows Alfy-Alfy it never needs gasolene in its tank.:furious: :ride: :furious:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had two HORSE tillers, one was a 1986 with a Kohler 7HP and I traded it in 1992 for a new HORSE with the 8HP Kohler Magnum. I have always kept it in the garage when not in use and washed and waxed, still looks like new. It is a shame to see what they call a HORSE now, even though the back end of the machine may be the same. The black colored dime store Briggs and Scratchem engine just makes me sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts