Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a laptop that I bought new a few years ago. it was one of the first XP machines. it is a Sony Vaio. It has been a dog from day one. It is a pentium 3 with 900 MHz. I have 128MB SDRAM.
I was thinking that I am short on ram for XP. I have two slots
one has my 128 and the other is empty. I am able to go to 512
ram but not sure if I need it. If I added another 128 that would give me 256. Is that enough? The other choice would to buy two
256s but that is getting pricy for something I am not sure I need.
Can I ad a 256 with my 128 or do I have to pair them equal.
Your advice and thoughts are welcome.
Rodster
PS..Where is good place to buy the ram?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Rodster

It is my understanding that Win XP loves extra ram. Check out Ramseeker to find prices.

I'm not sure about your "matched pairs, but I doubt if it makes a difference. To make sure, go to Crucial.com and use their excellent guide to make sure you get the right memory for your machine. Click the link "find the right memory for your machine" on the right hand side of the homepage. Crucial memory is not the cheapest, but it is very good quality. You can always use their guide and buy somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
XP is a memory hog and unlike 98 or 98SE that wouldn't really "see" or use much more than 128MB --- it can certainly use ALL you got! :D

Yep adding 256MB making it ~384MB would work fine for you now and help your performance along. SODIMMs dont need to match --- just toss another one in there 256MB PC133 SODIMM ---- check around like on pricewatch.com for best prices. 128MB is really low for XP especially on laptop. ;-)

YMMV
-A

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Not running DDR so no need for MUDDY speech again on matched pairs...just get basic PC133 SODIMM 256MB memory.

Have fun.
Andy

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I am by NO means the expert here but in addition to the above I would suggest:

1. Disk Clean Up
2. Scan Disk
3. Defrag.
4. Install & Run Spy Bot Search & Destroy
5. Install & Run Adaware 6.0

If you have a bunch of unknown spy ware on your machine, that can slow things down too.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Before dropping the money for the memory, you should find out what the slow part is. Most like memory will help, but it could be a fragmented disc, slow RPM disc, not contingious swap file, other background processes that are un-necessary.

Bring up task manager, see what memory is being used. See what is using the memory, see what is using the processor. Watch the harddrive light... does it blink or is the light just on.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys
Well I went to Circuit City where I bought the computer. I took all the specs on the computer so I would get the correct ram. The
guy did not seem to pay much attention to what I was telling him.
He handed me a ram card that had 512 ram. I asked him 3 times if that was right for my computer. He said no problem it was right.
My machine has two slots. One had the 128 and the other was empty. I pulled out the 128 and put in the 512. the computer would not even start. Then I put the 128 back in and it ran. Then
I left in the 128 and put the 512 in the second slot. I checked my system and it said I had 240 ram. ( not good ). I was getting cheezed of by this time. All I could think was that they don't take back ram that is opened and I would be out some money. In the meantime I went online and found out that the ram was not right for my machine even though it matched up plugging it in. I went back to the store and even if I did not get any money I would at least file a complaint. I walked in and the original salesman was gone. I told the other guy that I had given him the information and was given the wrong part. he said no problem and gave me a
256 with some money back. I went back and put it in. Now I have
the 128 and the 256 and all is working well.
Rodster:spinsmile

1 - 10 of 10 Posts