Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am starting the project from he!!, The pervious owner of my property was on on something and built a log cabin barn or so says the building permit. Well the dude never got finished and I bought the property 5 years ago and put my mobile home on the property opposite of the barn. Well this year I decided to get rid of the barn and have started to cut all the rebar he has holding this pile of logs together. The barn is about 20 by 20 foot squasre and about 30 feet high.
My question does anyone living in Washington state want at least 2 cords of firewood? All you got to remember to do is look for where the rebar is when you cut it up for firewood.
I have a picture and I am have a bulldozer that I plan on renting in 2 weeks.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
It would make one heck of a bon fire:D But one question why didn't he notch the logs:question:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
holy cow!! don't tear it down-- if you just don't want to chink it, roof it an finish it-- put an ad in the papers - ebay etc, and sell it -- folks will come get it and remove it for you! ---- what a waste to burn it !

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I agree --- don't tear it down. Finish it off and use it for something. I cannot imagine that you would have alot $ into it left and you would have a really nifty looking 400sq foot workshop or storage shed --- even if you just toss some galvanized tin on the roof it is better than demo'ing it IMHO.

Think about it.

Andy

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
20 *20 is a little small for a barn.. but too bad you are gonna tear it down.. seems a waste of the guys time & efffort...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I would give the GW Spikes left nut for that building on my property just like it is. Sure would be a shame to tear it down. Just a bit more work and a roof and chinking it and it would make a super storage shed or small barn.......

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I would LOVE to have a building like that on my property as well. Too bad you are so far away. I would come and get it. Would make a great place for my "stuff".

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The problem is the cost and I would have to figure out how to put a floor in. The 2nd problem is he used fir and about half of it is rotting away and the logs have damage from carpenter ants. Literally on the north side of it, it has sunk into the clay based ground. I study long and hard on what to do for it but the only thing I can figure out for it is it has to come down and the county is on me to do something with it. I want to build my new house next year right where it is at and it is to small for what I have planned. I do not know why the druggy did not notch the logs but used the butt and pass method. What he did sure is a waste but I will be using the foundation blocks around the edge of my property and setting the good logs on top of them like at lot of the old state parks and the forest service does.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
I would give the GW Spikes left nut for that building on my property just like it is. Sure would be a shame to tear it down. Just a bit more work and a roof and chinking it and it would make a super storage shed or small barn.......
At least you didn't offer to give my left nut for this building...
I was getting worried. :D

Andy
:furious: :furious: :furious:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by bigl22
holy cow!! don't tear it down-- if you just don't want to chink it, roof it an finish it-- put an ad in the papers - ebay etc, and sell it -- folks will come get it and remove it for you! ---- what a waste to burn it !
I already did that and there was lots of talking but no action, I had almost 25 folks look at it after the ad in the paper and it still is setting here. I would bet a dollar to a donut once it is on the ground the flys will be out of the wood work to come take parts of but it is to late as I have already promised parts of to the neighbor who is helping me to this thing down.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Too bad ------- It is a shame that it will never fully realize its potential as a nice log workshop as it was intended. I guess we
all need to make hard decisions at times concerning projects and our "big picture" motives. Good luck with your project. Wish you could have salvaged this piece. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. :D

Andy
:friends:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was not rotting and not have the carpenter ants the thing would stay and I would finish it. The largest problem is it has sunk about 8-10 inches on the north wall and the ants have taken a liking to over there. The good part is that I will be able to have a permeter of the logs around the north end of my property where the brats with the ATV will not be able to tear up my yard anymore over there. They have already torn down my barb wire fence twice to ride over there and I have had the sheriff out numerous times. I betcha they will not be able to move these logs once they are set in place. So parts of the building will remain for years on here on the property.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Wow that really sucks about the brats and their ATVs...So they
just trespass and tear up everything just for kicks huh? I bet if you told their parents, they would side with their kids and deny the whole thing ever happened. I would be tempted to lay down a couple claymores ----- just for good measure, or perhaps a
spike strip or two.

FYIW, good luck with the project and keep sending us the pics.
:D

Andy

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well today I finally got some more destruction going and took off the rafters. Boy were those suckers rotten. And I started to disassembly the north and the west walls.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry that the picture is so dark as the sun is setting. I'll get better pictures tomorrow as long as it does not rain. The weather man is predicting rain but we will see.
Well off to dinner I go...:rolleyes:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Be careful with that you don't want one of those logs falling on you. Take it slow and be safe.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I am doing is leaving 1 to 2 pieces of rebar uncut as I go then I put a tow strap aroung them and then strecthing out a 50 foot chain and 25 foot of chain on the back of my Dodge Ram and then I proceed to give a good yank with the Ram and the parts come flying down. I am well away from any logs and I am super cautious about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts