Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Here is a picture of a lawn tractor I made into a 4 wheel drive years ago. It had a small 12 volt compressor to lift the blade.
I used it for a few years to plow the pond in the winter. It had an 11 HP Briggs that I replaced with a 16 HP Briggs later. I ended up scraping it because the drive train could not hold up with the bigger engine.
Rod

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Thats so cool

Nice job Rod I must have miss it when you posted it

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
I made almost everything for it. Even the cylinders. I just went out and took a picture of the blade lift cylinder. I made the universals for the front axle and another cylinder to shift it in and out of 4 wheel drive. I still have some of the parts under my deck.
After that I got into antique stationary engines Then to Cushman scooters and finally Indian motorcycles.
Rodster

Attachments

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
So with the 4wd do you use chains and or weights? Or does the 4wd alone provide enough traction to push snow?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
I started out using chains but found out that I did not need them. I did run weights on the rear. The tires were just turf type but I cut parts of the tread out to give them more bite.
Rod

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
Hi
I started out using chains but found out that I did not need them. I did run weights on the rear. The tires were just turf type but I cut parts of the tread out to give them more bite.
Rod
From that first picture, it looks almost like you have studs in the tires. Must just be dust though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cut a pattern out of the tread. That took a lot of hours. It was chain drive from the trans then to both front and rear axles. One continous chain. The hard part was trying to figure out what size sprockets on the front and rear axles to use to make two different size tires turn the same speed. I also ran differencials ( spelling?) front and rear. I made it so I could shift in and out of 4 wheel on the fly with an air cylinder to disengage and engage it.
Rodster

·
Administrator
12,412 Posts
You could do some serious mud bogs with that machine. Looks great.

·
Administrator
12,412 Posts
Really old thread but I wonder what is up with those epic track bars?
Maybe he crashed and........:eek: Like I always say, be sure to wear your goggles and and have a clean pair of shorts readily handy. :eek:!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts