Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Grandfather came to visit from Alabama. He was looking over my equipment and when he noticed the tiller he flipped. Now he has a '63 Ferguson 35 Deluxe and a new International with FEL. Not sure what model.

He still pulls a 2 bottom plow with his Ferguson and my Father has tried talking him into tiller. His dealer told him they didn't recommend it as it will destroy his PTO, on either tractor.

I tried explaining to him I had never heard of such a thing and there are too many people using them. I also stated it has safety features, such as slip clutch, to protect the tractor the same as bush hogs, post hole digger, etc.

He would hear nothing of it and could not believe I would waste my money on a tractor to put in front of a tiller. Any ideas on how to debunct his thoughts? I know he goes WAY back with the dealer he uses and believes the man walks on water even when he screws him over, old timers.

I plan on taking the tiller and tractor to his place in a few weeks and till his garden to kind of show him.

Has anyone else heard anything of the like?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Once you show him how well it works it'll change his mind. Old folks have to see it before they believe it. At least my Grandpa had to see for him self. Like the old saying goes " old habits die hard "

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Right on Jody. Also it's the old ways of doing things, these men are principaled and honorable.. A hand shake on a deal was all it took as they both got what they needed at the time and both preceived it to be good...

sprumors, once you get it there and work it a bit, see if you can get him to try it... it may take a little coaxing but if he's like most grandpas he will give in....it's the old way of doing things.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive been told not to run one on my 2n because it will tear out the rearend.Im not sure if its true but I figured why tempt it and Im not sure how well it would work without a lower gear than my 2n has anyways.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I am not sure if a 2n would have any problem if it was new...but time and stress probably would play a part if used w/ to large of a tiller...in the possibilty of a future repair.....

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by mcloud
Ive been told not to run one on my 2n because it will tear out the rearend.Im not sure if its true but I figured why tempt it and Im not sure how well it would work without a lower gear than my 2n has anyways.

Think the main reason is that the gearing is just to high. You would go WAY to fast to till. Add to the not having a live PTO, and it would be just more trubble then it was worth. Now they did make add on trannys that helpped with the gearing. I have a Shermen in mine, and 1st low is REAL slow, but problem is it also slows the pto. They made a Hupp[I think that was the name] that slowed the tractor, but kept the PTO the same speed, but there are not many of them around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts