Tractor Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
MTD rear mounted PTO driven

Hello All
I purchased a new old stock MTD roto tiller attachment from a Massey Ferguson tractor dealer here in southern California
It is a 28" MTD model # 190-75600 cost 150.00 The Massey dealer did not know what it attached to In any event I would like to find a tractor I can use it on.I went to the MTD web site and it says it fits 800 series garden tractors but does not mention what years ,models or if its interchangeable with other MTD brands .

·
Registered
209 Posts
MTD's gear division is one of their "hole cards" over competition. Engines and transmissions/transaxles are the two most expensive parts of a riding mower/tractor. By owning their own power train manufacturing division,mTD greatly reduces their costs in these items as well as controlling quality.
The MTD Gear Division makes everything from the simple 1 speed found on the entry level riders with variable belt drives to the large geartrains found on the 5000 and 7000 series Sub Compact and Compact tractors.
This division also makes washing machine gear trains for the appliance industry....good use of engineering/manufacturing resources as well as a profit maker.
btw,MTD also has an interest in Sunstrand.
All this adds up to them being more stable and profitable in the long run when publicly held companies (mTD is privately owned) are thinking more short term.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Neil
Do you know how long MTD has been making their own gears? This is something Bolens always did and I was wondering if MTD picked up that idea when they picked up Bolens. I noticed further up in the thread that MTD went from a peerless tranny to their own at some point so thought maybe this was the reason, or did Cub Cadet always make their own gears also and now maybe MTD spread that across the lines?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello All:

Not a new user but I do read most of the MTD stuff here. My view is that MTD which now owns Bolens.:smoking: The stuff they put out now is the same stuff as an orignal MTD. The only difference I can see working on this crap..(OPPS) I mean stuff every day is the color change and they slap a Bolens sticker on it.

Another thing they did was to name the tractors after the old tiller names.:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

You know I only need a little of what they are :smoking: to make me happy.

Just my 2 cents worth......Oh and I want change please.:D

The gentlemen who posted about the tranny. It is a sealed unit and does not require any service. The cost of $300 is about right and if the tractor is in great shape it only takes about 20 minutes with air tools to change one.

Another 1cent and a half.......Change please...

:captain: Bob

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
that variable sheave drive is pretty strong and simple-- it is actually near infinite , but the 7 speeds on the fender are there to give some constant speeds -- the adjsutments are held in place by the slots on the fender -- similar concept to the snapper disc drive - different placement along a pulley changes ratios --

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.