Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok strange problem, a user whose home page is msn.com gets redirected to yeah.com
Same thing happens when she types in www.msn.com Redirected to yeah.com

Ive had them delete cookies, internet temp files, checked restricted sites.. nothing seems to be fixing it.

Ive posted the problem on the msn newsgroup and ieplorer group but no responses yet..

they are running W2K and are uploading the latest service pack and on IE 6.0266 they will update that also.. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
A 12 guage with #4 buckshot comes to mind every time my 'puter decides to fight with me. Good luck!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Works here

I have msn at work and it works here:fineprint
Jody

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I had a similar thing happen.Im not real computer savy so bare with me.I turned it on one day and instead of MSN.com It was something else can not remember the name.With pop ups and when I tried to change it back the pop ups were in the way.Something about CD rom drives and they were selling something to do with so no one can mess with your CD rom drive.The door opened up on the CD rom at that moment.I figured out how to get MSN back as my home page.Since then a few friends had the same thing happen.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
From home or work? Redirecting is usually done inside of the initial webpage that is opened. It is possible that the company proxy server may be forwarding her... but doubtful. Is there any settings for personal preferences that can be done under her account on MSN? Try logging into MSN with her account from another computer.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi somehow now it is working.
She was at work and anyone else could hit the site. She was not even logging onto MSN.... just going to www.msn.com web page and it was forwarding her... others in the site were able to go to it fine, but she was being forwarded... strange

after a few hours somehow it started to work.. this was after we tried removing cookies, temp files, uploaded current service packs and ie update.. not sure what was going on but apparently it is fixed now...

sj

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I have had that happen

a few times but i just change it back. The few times it happen the wife was on the computer last and she says she didn't change it it just happen:tellyou: So i don't know if its the sites she goes to or she does something to cause it:cpu: ether way i was able to change it back.
Jody

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup, ive had my home page redirected.. thats no big deal.. this last time.. even though they would type in msn.com something hijacked it so it would go to a different page...

sneaky bastards...

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
yup, ive had my home page redirected.. thats no big deal.. this last time.. even though they would type in msn.com something hijacked it so it would go to a different page...

sneaky bastards...
What would be anyones point in doing that? Just to mess with people?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
What would be anyones point in doing that? Just to mess with people?
The purpose of this is force you to visit a web site of the hijacker's choice so that they can artificially inflate their web site's traffic for higher advertising revenues.
Jody

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by jodyand
The purpose of this is force you to visit a web site of the hijacker's choice so that they can artificially inflate their web site's traffic for higher advertising revenues.
Jody
The old greed factor at work.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right Tis, but i think that was a simple redirect... by deleting cookies and temp files id guess you would go back to the garden web. The hijacking is a little more devious...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Happens pretty frequently if you visit less than legit sites (Kazaa, Morpheous, etc) They all have spyware and often, if you delete the program, the spyware "retaliates" by hijacking you homepage and "inserting" messages in your Outlook inbox. Happened a while back here at our site.

To fix it, they deleted any cookies and forms that IE keeps. That is one reason I still prefer Netscape 7.02. Much easier to work with and not as much BS.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Again, the deleting of cookies and temp files won't get you back on GW and it generally will not fix re-directing. The only reason it would help IMHO is if you had a corrupted file or something, but that is so remote I doubt it would fix it anyways.

When you start the browser and put in an http address, a DNS look up is performed to figure out how and where to connect. If the http address resolves, it then connects to the site. The site sends the initial HTML to your browser. In the case of GW and Disney, I think Spike put in code from time to time that said, if IP address = "x.y.z.something", redirect them to Disney. One day he didn't even check the IP, he sent everyone to Disney.

As for cookies. Cookies are kind of like handshakes or login's or remember me kind of things. They are used so you do not have to log in over and over again. They are hooked to a site and have nothing to do with re-directing people.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Great explanation from someone who knows his stuff.

Why would the tactics I posted earlier work with spyware then??

I'd be interested to find out how it works?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Spyware is typcially used to track you. There are other uses too. There was a cable provider that gave you a "support" cd. This CD was typically installed by the technician. You were instructed to use the icon on the desktop if you had problems. Neat tool, good idea, yada, yada, yada. The thing they did not tell you was that there was a click tracking tool hidden in the installation. Basically, it tracked the sites you went to and uploaded the information to some place on the web. Their premise is, that they track where you go in order to make your web surfing expierence better. BFS.

There were even WORSE offenders of this. Remember years ago the ISP that searched your drive and uploaded personal files (tax records and such) to their site.

The other thing spyware does is randomly "launch" web pages. Weatherbug for example uses this to pay for the "free" service. They ask you during installation your favorite things. They will from time to time launch a new window to a specific site.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts