Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is not really equipment but we bought a product called fresh cab to keep mice out of our equipment when stored in the off season. we had previously used mothballs but it takes a few days to get the smell out so we thought we'd try this stuff. we changed the scent pouches in may in both combines using the suggested change intervals on the box. when we took out the combines to get them ready for harvest one had slight evidence of mouse damage the other had the entire interior chewed out of it, cab air filter as well as some of the wiring . the mice had even ate half a bag of this mixture that was supposed to keep them out.
has anyone else out there used this product? did we just get a bad batch of it? when they go into storage after harvest we'll be using the old moth balls again and putting up with a couple days of the mothball odour when they come out of storage

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
bear thats a bummer maybe you was suppose to put it in a corner of the barn to attract them away from the tractor:question: I mean if they ate it maybe its not suppose to be in the tractor. I have never heard of it so i don't know if it works or not.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I dunno, never heard of the product, The only only thing I have to protect my equipment says meow all the time (5 of them) They live in the garage and are great on keeping the field mice out of the equipment. I do not mind the foot prints on everything and just keep the seats flipped over so they do not put any mud on the seat. I have a cat door in the side of the garage so they can be out of the weather and they all mouse so they are kept. I cannot have a cat inside the house as I am allergic to cat dander but they are feed daily and they have earned their keep with me.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
never heard of it.. but i wished id used it.. I got mice in my truck when it was about a year and a half old.. i made the mistake of using decon which killed the mice - in my truck - in the kick panel.. it took a while to figure where the dead decomposing things were and it took a long long long time to get the smell out...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Do the moth balls work or is it just a myth? If they work I would use them. I would imagine you would like just do a quick checkout and start cutting instead of rewiring and replacing parts that didn't need replaced when you put the equipment up!!!:nerd:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put mothballs in my ATV battery compartment and a mouse made a nest on top off them. I don't know if anything wards them off except a cat.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we have always had good luck with mothballs just didn't like the odor they left. i would sooner have the odor from mothballs than the mouse smell in there now

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I use my right hand to control mine 99% of the time.........and like the infra red female mice........no balls to get all gunked up with lint and grime........oh those four legged mice......I use my 4 little killer dogs (dachshunds) for that purpose.......who are superb at tracking down and catching mice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What a shame, bear. Is it easy for them to get into the cab? A friend has a Case/ International combine and I have never seen evidence of mice in there. He has had problems with racoons. One took up residence in the unloading auger and when he started it up got some 'coon soup coming out of the thing. He had to tear it apart to clean it out and he claims he lost breakfast, lunch and dinner on that project. Glad I was not there.

As for controlling the mice, our best luck comes from a comfortable, fed female tabby. Darned tom cats just seem to wait for the mothers to bring back something for the kittens and then steal it. And I've never heard of cab fresh.

Hope you get her all fixed up before harvest.

waynl

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wiring is all fixed and its ready to go to the feild. by the look of the forecast i won't need it for a while it supposed to rain until friday. i have talked with some other people that used this product and they all had the same results i did. in my opinion this stuff is best left on the shelf in the store.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by bear
this is how the inside of cab looked
WOW :eek: What a mess. One elderly farmer I help out leaves the cab doors open on his tractors and combine. When I asked why he does this, he says it's so the cats can get in there and look for mice. I don't think he's ever had a problem. Of course, the interiors aren't the cleanest.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Seems mice used tolove to get up in my JD180
's muffler and haul all kinds of junk up there to store aor horde for winter use. After I parked it for a while, and you started it up, it would rattle and bang and start blowing out acorns and such. On my new GX335, they got up inside the shroud around the engine. I happened to notice some shredded white material hanging out by the cutout portion where the starter goes into the housing. I tried piulling it out, but it kept coming and coming and coming. I pulled off the shroud and the entire shround was surounded by all kinds of stuff they used to make a nest with. It was a job to get it all out of the space between the cylinders fins and such.........They routinely get up inside my wifes car, crawl up in the air inlet into the air cleaner box and stock pile it with nuts etc as well. I always find a handfull of acorns etc when I pull her air cleaner out to check.

·
Registered
664 Posts
We've got 10 cats & absoutely no mice! We get a few brave (or is that foolish) mice every cane season, but most 'disappear' within a week or so. A six cat stake-out is about the funniest thing you've ever seen. Whiskers, ears & tails all twitching just waiting an escape attempt.:homereat:

·
LT/GT Moderator
597 Posts
get one of those electric pest control frequencey things, i heard they work

:bouncy: :saber: :skullmad: :cat: :tractorsm :spinsmile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts