Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Tisenberg wrote an excellent article explaining resolution, and now I can't find it. It probably would answer my question, but in lieu of finding it, I'll ask the question(s):

It's my understanding that there is no use posting a picture to the web larger than 640 x 480 @ 72 dpi.

Using Irfanview, it gives an option of batch re-sizing. It gives the option of selecting a scale, 1 to 80, so I tried a 10. Results: 350K file down to 55K. (jpeg 24 color, but they both remained at 1600 x 1200 pixels).

How can it drop that much in size and still be 1600 x 1200? Comparing the original and the re-sized on screen I couldn't tell the difference, even blowing them up several times.

Next I chose the re-sample option, to 640 x 480. That dropped the file size to 25K. It looked okay until I saved it. The saved picture was terrible. Probably being saved as a JPEG it further shrunk it but it doesn't give the option not to compress it.

Bottom line question: Would using the 1st option (1 to 80) accomplish what I'm trying to do, quicker up/down loads, even though I'm not getting the 640 x 480?

If none of that makes sense, maybe you could just point me to Tisenberg's article about it :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link and the response. That's what I though, the results were strange (wacked as you put it.) My viewer shows pixel size and file size, pictures are in different folders, not that that should matter. Guess for now I'll just go with your 75 dpi and not worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts