Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start this thread due to a question from Andy on a different thread.

As for the Virginia tax question in a previous thread. VA has this thing called "Property tax". Over the years, the concept is to tax you over and over and over again on your cars and houses. Each county has a different percentage, but the concept is that your car and house are of a specific value. Let's say you buy a car at $20,000. Next year the state says that the value of the car is... $15,000. You then have to pay 4.75% tax on it. The next year it is worth $13,000, you then have to pay 4.75% tax on it AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. If you don't pay, they hold your yearly county sticker hostage and you risk getting pulled over and fined for that as well as some other issues related to not paying the tax to begin with. Some counties are more than others, Fairfax County is steep while Manassas Park is low. I think I am in the 3 range while Fairfax is close, if not at 5. There are many people that live in VA, but retain their license plates from another state. Some do it lawfully, some do not. In the end, no car property tax is required of them.

The "tax" is just different enough that it does not violate the rule of only being taxed once. It is a complete crock of....

We are in the process of slowly getting this removed. It is a 5 year plan and we are in year 4 (I think) of the plan. You pay your full tax and then get some of it back a few months later. Yet another crock of....

The first year, you paid in full and got 20% back, the second was 40%. I think the one this year had the percentage pre-backed out so we only had to pay the difference... don't remember, the wife does that.

Maryland on the other hand does not have this tax. They have what is sometimes referred to as a piggy-back-tax. Each county is again different percentages.

Some other differences between VA and MD are that you have to get your car's safety inspection every year, and emissions every other year. MD you only have to get the safety inspection when the title changes hand. I look at that as there are a bunch of unsafe MD cars on the road :)

Depending on how this thread goes, it may belong in the politcal forum :)

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Virginia may call it a property tax, her in Michigan that is referred to a license tab fees. They base it on the value of the vehicle.

I don't think it matters what state you live in, your going to get the pipe by your legislators one way or another.

We're slashing programs in Washington, can't decide on health care for our senior population, but, they know how to vote themselves a pay raise. Public servants my ass.:furious:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I'm glad i live here

Our license tag fees:driving: is $40.00 for 4 years NANA NANA if i had to pay every year iwould have to tell somebody where they could go:devilish: :upyours:
Jody

·
Registered
99 Posts
TAXES WHO NEEDS THEM OH YEA the GOVERNMENT

Here in Indiana we have what is called an excise tax based on the value of your vehicle and in Allen county we have a road use tax(supposed to be for road improvements, yea right). Along with these taxes on vehicles, we have a personal property tax on like snowmobiles, RV's, boats what a crock. You just keep paying taxes on things year after year.
"CAN YOU SAY :pig: BELLIES"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts