Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looks like I am finly going to get a chance to take a Mig welding class. My wife showed me the ad in the paper, so she is fine with spending the cash. I am REALY getting antsy about getting to work on my cars agean. This will get me ready to tackel some of the body work that is needed.

Well, another good weekend like last, and I should mabe rap up some of my outstanding projects. Little more to do on the N, and thats done, and more on the 444, but thats moving a little, then I am getting a little closer to being cought up.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I'm jealous! I would love to be able to take a welding class. Haven't seen any offered around my area. I would like to see a Miller 300 in my future! :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Chief
I'm jealous! I would love to be able to take a welding class. Haven't seen any offered around my area. I would like to see a Miller 300 in my future! :D
Well I just have a small Craftsman 110v mig now, but the main reason I got it was for body work, so it's fine. So far I have burned through a 2lb spool, and a half, and have had no problems.

Looking foward to the class.:) We did not realy want to spend the money now, and it does take me out of the house for 4 or 5 days, but when you fall into stuff, you just have to jump.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Might be money well spent if you learn some good welding skills. I am continually amazed at the things my friend weld together and makes. I wish I could weld half as good as him. He is currently finishing up a roll off bed for his Freightliner road tractor. He welded up a real nice looking 3 pt. trailer tow hitch for me.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Welding Classes

I have taken welding classes all my life. My father was a great teacher, Stick, Mig, Tig, Gas, Brazing, Carbon Arc, and even forge welding. If you get the opportunity to learn techniques, proper heats, material matching, and the all important penetration do it, you will not be sorry. With my new Miller I have already spent in more then $1,200 for consumables and a used .045 gun that I found for sale. $215.00 for a 30 pound spool of hard surfacing wire. I plan on putting wear stripes on all my equipment, also making a set of removable grousers for my loader. Got to be the best thing I have spoiled myself with lately. Lord knows I am spoiled , just ask my wife.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Welding classes are a good idea, especially the safety issues involved and setup. The basics are fairly easy. Once you have the basics and safety covered, it is a great thing to know how to do. I have a miller Bobcat and a Lincoln Sp135. Both are fairly new (refurbished demo units from the miller and Lincoln reps respectively) and work awesome. I can weld just about anything that I will ever run across in restoring my vehicle.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Paul, what is the latest with the welding class? Have you started it yet? If so, what are your observations and comments?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope did not go. Other things came up, and the money became an issue.:mad:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Nope did not go. Other things came up, and the money became an issue.:mad:

Whenever I need a welding question answered I go to this newsgroup.

news:sci.engr.joining.welding

This classroom has the best instructors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts