Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple tractors today and Im having trouble identifieing one of them .The first tractor I bought is a model 44 rc the serial # is 44gr31252. this one was easy to figure out. The second one I thought and was told is a model 20. The problem is the serial # is 401713 ???? I took this off the frame right where its suppose to be and this is what I get. Pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
are you sure you got the right numbers the 20 22 30 44 55 all had coded suffix letters (I.E) A,B,D,F,G,H,K,O,R,S,V,W there also are numbers stamped on the top senter of the transmission

pics would be great one other thing the 20 81 82 looked the same they had the same grill style so did the 101 nd 102 but the rear fenders were different it the bottem of the grill curves under then it would be a 20 81 82 101 102 the 22 and 44 just were just flat hope this helps

pic would be great l have a massey 20 row crop

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
the closes serial number l would find was 400,001 and that was a 1941 81 row crop some one who knows the massey serial numbers better then l do will help you James

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by mcloud
I bought a couple tractors today and Im having trouble identifieing one of them .The first tractor I bought is a model 44 rc the serial # is 44gr31252. this one was easy to figure out. The second one I thought and was told is a model 20. The problem is the serial # is 401713 ???? I took this off the frame right where its suppose to be and this is what I get. Pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
reed it more closely and you said you got it off the right hand side they were stamped on the left hand side of the main frame

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MH20

I will check again tomorrow. I took the numbers off the top of the case on the left side of the tractors behind the trans. cover next to the seat post . It was between those and what I think is the pto lever.Ill try to post pictures but Im not that computer savvy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Eirnieg

I looked in the spot it says to look in the massey forum.Im going over today to do some more searching.The # match a plate thats on the side of the tractor also. Im going to try to get pictures posted but cant promise much . Sometimes working on these old girls seems a lot easier than playing on this computer.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
mcloud, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head.... Times were simpler back yhen... Keep us posted as to your findings...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started out to get pictures today but the weather turned beautiful.It went up to about 45 and very sunny as perfect a day as you can get to cut next years firewood.Tomorrows weather is going to stink a perfect excuse to go tractor hunting.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well I can't relate...Our weather has been fine. Send along pics when you get a chance..

JBetts thanks for the picture..hope it will help..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The picture you posted is a lot better shape than the one I just bought.The engine turns over and ran when parked but the body panels are rough.I was after the 44 that model holds some fond memories for me.the 20 ?? sits right next to the 44 and was only 150 bucks so I had to take it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just from looking at the picture I would say You did indeed buy a 1941 model 81 which has a 124 CID l head engine made by Cont.
look her to find the location where the serial number is stamped in the trans housing.

http://www.tractorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5814

I am sure that the grill on the 20 is the same as on the 22 but being elder :D I must look at mine to be sure. Well after the look the 20's grill is the same as the 81's with the slanted bars. The 81 is in most cases the same tractor as the 20 except older. they both used the 124 CID cont. L head engine. All the sheet metal and most of the gearing are also the same. The 20 has puzzled Massey people for years because it is so much like the 81 and in just a couple of years Massey released the 22. Some other oddness with the Massey line is the big changes in the serial number system in 1952. No where I looked did I find and answer to that question that made sence. Many think it is because of aquiring Ferg. in 1953. I see no reason for a serial number change due to that happening. Fergies had their own system of serial numbers.
:D Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sending pictures? im trying to send a picture of the tractor and it tells me the file is to big. what can i do?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Resize it how big is it now:question:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2.47mb Im not sure how to do that the resizing thing maybe when the wife gets home. or maybe my nine year old daughter will show me.They get a big kick out of my computer skills.Sometimes love can really hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by alleyyooper
Just from looking at the picture I would say You did indeed buy a 1941 model 81 which has a 124 CID l head engine made by Cont.
look her to find the location where the serial number is stamped in the trans housing.

http://www.tractorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5814

I am sure that the grill on the 20 is the same as on the 22 but being elder :D I must look at mine to be sure. Well after the look the 20's grill is the same as the 81's with the slanted bars. The 81 is in most cases the same tractor as the 20 except older. they both used the 124 CID cont. L head engine. All the sheet metal and most of the gearing are also the same. The 20 has puzzled Massey people for years because it is so much like the 81 and in just a couple of years Massey released the 22. Some other oddness with the Massey line is the big changes in the serial number system in 1952. No where I looked did I find and answer to that question that made sence. Many think it is because of aquiring Ferg. in 1953. I see no reason for a serial number change due to that happening. Fergies had their own system of serial numbers.
:D Al
no l think the 22 to had a grill like a 44 a 81 82 101 and 102 has the same frill style as the 20

1 - 20 of 27 Posts