MF 2200 won't move

Discussion in 'Massey Harris-Ferguson' started by Donnie506, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    So I've got a '68 Massey Ferguson 2200 loader here, that was running and working great 2 days ago when I parked here. This morning, she doesn't move.

Starts and runs just fine. Clutch has normal resistance. Goes into every gear, high and low, and shuttle forward and reverse just fine. But the wheels aren't turning.

PTO engages normally. Won't shift without the clutch depressed. Everything seems perfectly normal, except for the lack of rolling tires. So I'm looking for some advice before I tackle splitting it. I'm guessing a clutch issue or possibly the axle. Any advice on making a determination before I start taking everything apart?

2. dozer966

dozer966 Registered User

Dec 30, 2014
    Sudbury area
    Not an expert but could try jacking the rear and spining the tires to see if there is something abnormal. Also locking the diff and see if both wheels will spin together that way you know if the spiders are ok. I know that on the Fords the crown and pinion are on the left side of the axel. Hopefully you have a service manual and it should specify in there. If you don't eBay usually has a good selection . Did the clutch have enny slipping on it

3. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    That's a good idea, I'll try that tomorrow. I've never felt any slipping. I've never worked it that hard either, no implements for the PTO. Usually just turn compost with the loader and scrape some gravel in the driveway. I'd like to think that if it was a problem in the clutch, it would have been acting up for a while, but I've had no problems other than a slight grind every now and then when I use the shuttle.

4. FredM

FredM Registered User

Nov 18, 2015
    Rangewood
    do you have any clutch pedal free play, no free play no drive if the clutch is ok, this will just slip.

5. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    It's still got the same 1-2 inches of free play. Everything seems normal. Or at least as normal as it was when I parked it.

6. harry16

harry16 Member

Dec 7, 2011
    You may have a broken axle. When you have the rear end jacked up, turn one rear wheel and the other should rotate in the opposite direction.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Donnie,

Does your tractor have a shuttle shift? If so, it may be low on fluid, and will not move when low on fluid. It also has a filter that may be plugged.

duke7595 likes this.
  8. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Well here's an update. Got her towed into the barn. Jacked up the rear end, and the wheels turn freely. They turn when in gear and out of gear, so that's troubling. Diff lock still turns both wheels together.

There's an access panel to the clutch, and it looks like everything is moving like it should, though I'm no expert on clutches. There does look like a bit of a leak on the trans side.

I can't tell if the fluid is low, because apparently the dip stick is gone! So my plan now is to drain the rear end and refill it to spec and give that a shot.

Any other suggestions out there?

9. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    So changing the fluid had no effect, but it was time for a change anyway. Looks like about 8 gallons came out too, so I'd say it wasn't low. The magnetic plug had a few shavings, and one chunk of metal that looked like a piece of a washer. So, I'm guessing I'm taking the trans apart

10. Fedup

Fedup Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Forgive the bold type here, but I'm having some issues with my computer and this is the only way it will let me post anything at the moment.
    That aside, you still have not mentioned whether you jacked one or both tires off the ground. With both tires off the ground and dif lock not engaged, rotating one wheel should cause the other wheel to rotate in the opposite direction. This would indicate both axles/pinons are intact and the diferential is functioning. Another possibility for concern is the coupler between the transmission and the pinion shaft. It's held in place by a large cotter pin through a hole in the coupler and located between the ends of both shafts. That pin has been known to fail allowing the coupler to slip forward and become disengaged causing a "no drive" condition. This can be checked by removing one of the small covers on the side of the rear main housing. You can then reach in and feel for the coupler and it's cotter pin and determine if it's still in place or not before deciding on major disassembly.

dozer966, Donnie506 and sixbales like this.
  11. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Ok, so jacking up the rear end and turning the wheels. With the differential lock disengaged, each wheel turns independently. Spinning one does not spin the other in the opposite direction. So definitely something wrong there. With the diff lock engaged, both wheels spin together as they should. There's no grinding or anything feeling weird, just feels disconnected.

12. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    I wonder if it would move with the differential lock engaged??

13. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Nope, tried every possible configuration. Losing the pin in the coupler like Fedup said makes sense to me, since everything "feels" normal in the trans. As in the gears are moving, the clutch is operating, etc. So my question now is, how do I access that shaft. I'll start with the side panel and feel around like you said, but will I need to pull the lift arms out to get in there and replace it? Or split it?

14. deerhide

deerhide Retired Canadian

Oct 20, 2016
    The coupler is the culprit , they are a 'shear' thing.. It would surprise me that the cotter pin came out, maybe though. You don't have to split it to replace the coupler. I think you might have to take the top off though, I forget, I only sold the tractors :).

15. Donnie506

Donnie506 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Sure was that coupler, it did come out. Found it in the bottom all twisted up. Easy enough to access through the side panels. Took a minute to figure out where to align it on the shaft, but she'll be back together tomorrow with a new pin. Thanks for all the help!

dozer966, FredM and sixbales like this.