1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread.
    Dismiss Notice

MF 165 - Startup after 4 years

Discussion in 'Massey Harris-Ferguson' started by Just Wondering, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    Here is the Massey I'm now responsible for:
    IMG_5590.jpg

The serial number is 9A 759I0 ?? or maybe thats 10. I believe it was born in 1969.
    There are several levers and all the gauges appear to be in good condition. I don't know if anything works yet as I have not started it.

What other pictures would be helpful to view?

And yes thats a 1963 Willys Pickup under the tarp behind it.

I've trailered the tractor to my place and am going through it in preparation to start it up.

Yesterday:
    I replaced the fuel filter (near the carb).
    Drained the fuel tank of a dark yellow-brown amber colored fluid. Yuck.
    Filled with 1 gallon of acetone and drained that fluid.
    Re-filled with 2 gallons of gas and let it sit in 90 degree temps for 5 hours, then drained.
    The fluid is now running instead of dripping out of the line and is a light yellow - like pee.

Cleaned the sediment bowl.
    Removed the pack rat nest in behind the front screen.
    Removed the pack rat nest in front of the belt.

Scraped and brushed as much dirt and grime/oil/gunk from it as possible. I wanted to see any leaks after I start it.

Drained the radiator fluid. It was low, but nice and neon green. Took awhile to do cause drain hole at the pitcock was gunky at first.

Bought a new battery and removed the old one, but have not put the new one on yet. Don't want anyone starting it before I get things ready.

Cannot find the manuals that came with it. Having another go at locating them this morning.

Covered the exhaust in case it rains today. We are supposed to have about 2 to 3 inches this week.

My questions:
    1. Sources for manuals if I can't locate the ones that came with it.
    2. Should I just stp treat the gas tank, fill it full and run it OR keep cleaning til it doesn't run yellow?
    3. There is no obvious place to insert a key. Is this just a knob turn, fingers crossed kind of activity?

Thanks in advance
    JW

FredM and Tractor Beam like this.
  2. Tractor Beam

Tractor Beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

Nicely done! I wouldn't fill the tank up. I'd put in just a gallon or two until you know that the tractor is going to run, so that if you have to drain the tank, you only need to deal with a gallon or so. I'd look at ebay for manuals. Also manuals here, and here.

FredM and Just Wondering like this.

3. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    Is there a secret to keep the sediment bowl from leaking

4. Tractor Beam

Tractor Beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

The rubber O ring which will be flat, is probably shot. If you can get it out of the upper body, or get the size of it, you should be able to go down to your local hardware store for a replacement. Don't over tighten the bowl because if you crack the glass, you'll create a new problem!

FredM likes this.
  5. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    No o-ring. Probably disintegrated over the years and I wiped the remains off thinking it was dirt.

Its a 50 mile round trip to town on Sunday, so the project stalls until another day. The cost of gas would make that a mighty expensive o-ring.

FredM likes this.
  6. FredM

FredM Registered User

Nov 18, 2015
    Rangewood
    you haven't got an old inner tyre tube handy ?, just a thought, you could cut one out of this for a temporary fix until you go to town, just a thought.

7. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    FredM --
    Doh! You are my new bestie Massey friend. I'll go try it after dinner and before it gets too dark!

I'm going to learn how to think outside the box I keep putting myself in. :rolleyes:

FredM likes this.
  8. FredM

FredM Registered User

Nov 18, 2015
    Rangewood
    even if you had some flat cork, you could use this also, the cork would last better than the inner tube, but the tube would be only a temporary fix to allow you to start the tractor and see what problems there may be.

Tractor Beam likes this.
  9. deerhide

deerhide Retired Canadian

Nice looking one. The 165 is a MF favourite of mine...had a 65, a 165 and a 3165, all diesel. Note: the 165's with 'notches' in the rear axle flanges had wet brakes and use a particular diff oil.

FredM likes this.
  10. RC Wells

RC Wells Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Your post is very good and informative.

It is wise to replace the entire sediment bowl assembly. The original used flat cork, the new versions use fuel proof synthetics. The housing and bowl is slightly different on the replacement units. Ebay and Amazon has them for around $20. The rubber inner-tube will dissolve and create a fire hazard.

As for cleaning the tank, the best solution is to remove the tank and wash and dry it thoroughly. If the tank is full of loose rust scale it is best to fill it with detergent and water, then add small rough gravel or coarse sand and shake and roll it to knock the rust loose. Rinse and dry, then use a product like Kreem Products fuel tank liner.

The ignition switch and key should look something like the photo:
    [​IMG]
    The original key had a thick plastic raindrop shaped key head, and tends to get stuck in the switch over time.

Manuals are readily available, just do a search. Ebay generally has old OEM manuals listed too.

11. roadpacker

roadpacker New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    You are on the right track to git it going again, but be aware that as soon as you address one issue, another will pop up.Just be like a chicken eating corn -one grain at a time. And be prepared to spend some bucks on those issues. If you would sell me that little Willys pick up, you could throw all that money on the tractor

FredM likes this.
  12. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    Its been raining for 3 days and I had two days of 228 mile round trip to Dallas and back.
    Finally got to the inner tube gasket making effort late today. Why? Cause I completely forgot to stop and get a replacement while I was at 1) the hardware store, 2) the co-op, 3) tractor supply and the o-ring I bought at O'Reilly's was too thick.

But I have the old bowl back on and it didn't appear to leak.
    Am letting it set overnight with gas in it to see if leaks over night.

I did get all the other filters I need -- oil, hydraulic, etc. So there are plenty of projects to complete tomorrow before I try to start it.

Roadpacker - that red willys has already had all the rat pills removed (6 inches deep) and new spark plugs, new wires. Bought a wiring harness for it and am trying to get the fuel tank off. Then I do the brakes and we give it a whirl. Got a donated 3rd row seat from an SUV to replace the missing bench seat in it. Its gotten warm enough to get to it again, but -- like that corn analogy - the Massey comes first right now.

FredM and Tractor Beam like this.
  13. roadpacker

roadpacker New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Just bump along on the 165 as time permits, and it will start to shape up. When you get tired of the tractor go to the Willys and do a little to give you a break from the tractor. Before long, if all goes well, you can use the Willys to pull the tractor out when you stick it in a muddy bog.How do I know? Have four tractors and a 68 Jeepster Commando. Been there-done that. Good luck, keep posting with your progress.

Just Wondering and FredM like this.
  14. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    So its your number I need when I get stuck in the field next time..;)

marc_hanna and Tractor Beam like this.
  15. roadpacker

roadpacker New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    You bet! Just call me and I will tell you everything you need to know on how to get a stuck tractor out. And if my information doesn't work, I will always think that it should have.

16. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    Got the oil filter out and the oil drained.
    1 1/16 open end wrench... I swear I walked back and forth to the tool storage 6 times before I got it correct. I'll be glad when my parts come in for the golf cart.

This walking is just too much healthy exercise for one person ..... lol

Course I then drove to the estate to get the oil and coolant and realized I left the keys at home in the other truck (hanging my head in shame).

Manana ...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    FredM, dozer966 and Tractor Beam like this.
  17. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Active Member

Jan 25, 2015
    LOL.. I KNOW THAT FEELING..
    I walk past a 4000.00 golf cart every time I walk to the shop.. normally 5 or 6x..lol.
    It sure "LOOKS" pretty sittin there tho..
    I tell myself the SAME thing.. good exercise..

FredM likes this.
  18. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    And my husband is too excited...
    he agreed to a 50 mile round trip to get 4 spark plugs.

Shaking my head in confusion. Thats 4 sparkplugs and 4 gallons of gas and then we ordered pizza (a luxury) on the way home.

The most expensive sparkplugs ever.

We tried starting it earlier and had no spark, so I'll go try it and see if that cures the problem.

Pictures uploaded later this evening when I lose daylight.

And no, I didn't get to work on the golf cart or the Silverado a/c cause he wanted to see if the tractor would start. Too funny!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    FredM likes this.
  19. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    Must be the distributor or the plug wires.
    Not getting any spark.

Pulled one new plug and put it in the plug wire..grounded it to the engine .. no spark.

Can't get the distributor cap off cause one of the screws is severely rusted.
    This will drag on into late next week. Rain clouds are here this morning and I am booked til April 4th. Bleh

20. Just Wondering

Just Wondering Member

Mar 24, 2018
    North East Texas
    Had to go out of town for 3 days and have another day of travel tomorrow.
    This life thing sure does get in the way of tractor repair..lol