Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have retired from the farm but still visit monthly. The MF 130 diesel doesn’t get much work but I like to change the oil every year. Question is, oil filter is hard to get, so I just change the oil. Might have 20 hrs use over the year. Is there any advantage to rinsing the filter in gas and then fresh oil when I don’t have a new filter? Or is it better to just drain the filter. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Do not rinse the oil filter in gasoline. I use the John Deere Plus 50 extended life oil and change it every three years in my collection of parade tractors. I get the filter cartridges from NAPA, half the cost of Massey filters, and change those every three years. Some of the old tractors are only run twice a year to get them loaded and unloaded for some show or another and then just a couple hours to get them good and warm and oil everything internally. Been toying with moving oil changes to every four years.

My father-in-law went ten years between changes on his Massey. Ran like new too. Just use good oil and filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
I have the industrial version of the MF 130 which is the MF 2130
Exactly the same except the dashboard,
I was informed that the Perkins A4- 107 engine requires regular oil changes as the oil has a tendency to get thick and put the con rod through the side of the engine
As I only show mine I've only changed my oil once in 8 years
I can get oil filters for you and post them to you if you would like some
I only came across this site while looking for MF 130 parts as they are hard to get even over here in England, so I help other owners find parts for them
I also ID ferguson and MF tractors for owners that don't know what year their tractor is, it took me years to find the serial numbers of the MF 130 as the French are not that good of keeping record for them, but I now have all serial numbers for all French built vintage tractors

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
RS, welcome to the forum! That avatar looks stellar! I sure hope if that's yours that you take the time to add it to our showcase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
I have the industrial version of the MF 130 which is the MF 2130
Exactly the same except the dashboard,
I was informed that the Perkins A4- 107 engine requires regular oil changes as the oil has a tendency to get thick and put the con rod through the side of the engine
As I only show mine I've only changed my oil once in 8 years
I can get oil filters for you and post them to you if you would like some
I only came across this site while looking for MF 130 parts as they are hard to get even over here in England, so I help other owners find parts for them
I also ID ferguson and MF tractors for owners that don't know what year their tractor is, it took me years to find the serial numbers of the MF 130 as the French are not that good of keeping record for them, but I now have all serial numbers for all French built vintage tractors
Good afternoon Mr Atter,
Festive greetings..

Good to be able to connect with other MF130 owners. Could I send you my tractor ## to ID?
i have had mine a year now buy only just getting time to work on it. Just sourced brake pads, last set in Australia ATM apparently..
Found the seal had failed on the RHS and stuffed the pads, though the pads and seal were likely the original ones.
I note the reference to perkins A4 engine but wondered if anyone had found gasket sets for axles etc available anywhere

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Greg
Yes by all means let me have the serial numbers and I will date it for you, as for for the brake pads , I have supplied them to Australia and New Zealand before and always have them in stock
As for the gaskets I think all are available, I source a lot of parts both in France and Germany but the language barrier is a bit of a pain even with translation web sites, however my daughter lives in Germany and she helps me get parts in Germany
I have a parts book and can send you pictures of the MF 130 to identify the parts you need
I will try uploading the rear axle
seems I can't as I don't have enough postings to allow me to upload them!

So come back to me with the serial number and my reply should then be the third posting that will then allow me to put on the rear axle picture and part numbers

This is my hobby now that I'm retired, sourcing and supplying the hard to find parts (at the lowest price for owners) for both the MF 130 and the MF 2130 so just ask!

Regards from England
(were its just started snowing)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good morning Mr Atter,

Tractor details
MF130
Model 1308SNMY
SERIAL # 382748
ENGINE # 2215

Re parts, I am after brake pedal return spring/s I stretched one taking it off
Also a set of gaskets for the rear axle, am about to cut some out of cork or gasket rubber otherwise..
Appreciate any assistance and look forward to tractor info, and if possible rear axle pics
Warm regards
Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would also be interested which weight hydraulic oil I should use. I havee conflicting info and supplier recommendations.,Service manual says 90 weight mineral oil, not a thing here in Australia apparently, can get 68, then advised 15/30 motor oil from manufacturer web site?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Greg
Yes by all means let me have the serial numbers and I will date it for you, as for for the brake pads , I have supplied them to Australia and New Zealand before and always have them in stock
As for the gaskets I think all are available, I source a lot of parts both in France and Germany but the language barrier is a bit of a pain even with translation web sites, however my daughter lives in Germany and she helps me get parts in Germany
I have a parts book and can send you pictures of the MF 130 to identify the parts you need
I will try uploading the rear axle
seems I can't as I don't have enough postings to allow me to upload them!

So come back to me with the serial number and my reply should then be the third posting that will then allow me to put on the rear axle picture and part numbers

This is my hobby now that I'm retired, sourcing and supplying the hard to find parts (at the lowest price for owners) for both the MF 130 and the MF 2130 so just ask!

Regards from England
(were its just started snowing)
Not sure if you received this MR Atter?
Good morning Mr Atter,

Tractor details
MF130
Model 1308SNMY
SERIAL # 382748
ENGINE # 2215

Also a set of gaskets for the rear axle, am about to cut some out of cork or gasket rubber otherwise..
Appreciate any assistance and look forward to tractor info, and if possible rear axle pics
Warm regards
Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good morning Mr Atter,

Tractor details
MF130
Model 1308SNMY
SERIAL # 382748
ENGINE # 2215

Warm regards
Greg
Hi Greg
Sorry I did not see your post
If its not to late I do have some prices of seals for your MF 130, also i can confirm your date of manufacture, see below

typeLAST NUMBER 31 October
SNMY
SNMY
YOUR SERIAL NUMBER

SO YOUR TRACTOR IS A 1967

Prices for the seals as follows, these are to me so postage will have to be added

Diff seal £32.00 plus vat
Cork seal for trumpet to center housing £11.00 + vat
Seal for reduction £36.00 + vat

Regards
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good evening Bob,
Great to hear from you and thank you for the information on my tractor! Much appreciated..
Any chance of sourcing a brake return spring?
Is this the best way to communicate with you ie on a post?
Only new to these “boards”

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
Hi
Not sure if this sit allows emails but that's the best way mine is; but this site is sending a link through

regards
Bob
We really prefer that members use the "Conversation" section of the forum to private message each other with private information. Keeps your personal stuff off the world wide web, is all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While it may or may not be germane to this thread, because I farm with my tractors, I always do an oil analysis through Blackstone Labs when changing my lubricants (engine or transmission) so I can actually ascertain what condition the lubricants are in and how long they are actually viable for. Blackstone has allowed me to extend the drain intervals quite a bit actually. (I go by their TBN numbers). My units hold a large quantity of both engine oil (3 gallons each times 2) and 15 gallons each times 2 for the gearboxes so, every oil change is expensive and sometimes not needed (as I found out). I used to change the lubricants every spring. I don't anymore. They get changed every other spring now. The 25 dollar analysis fee has saved me hundreds in lubricant costs. My tractors both get 5-40 Rotella T6 in the crank case and Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic in the gearcases. Having said that, I only use OEM filters for everything, including air and fuel filters. Never substitute. I believe the engineers who designed the engines in my units know better than I do what works and what don't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good evening Bob,
Great to hear from you and thank you for the information on my tractor! Much appreciated..
Any chance of sourcing a brake return spring?
Is this the best way to communicate with you ie on a post?
Only new to these “boards”
I take it it is the spring that fits to the brake pedal so when you apply the brake the pedal returns to the original position? if so its not a crucial part and any spring about 5" long will do . I just looked at mine and I have 2 different springs on it, but if this is the spring you need then the part number is MASSEY FERGUSON 966918M1 just a search of the number will bring it up but depending on were you live and what sites are available will depend on were you can get it from, a number of sites in France are showing it in stock

regards
Bob UK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts