Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to say it, but this fellow has lived in this same place for ove 20+ years and I never new (neither did many others) he lived there.

His place is barely visible from the roadway on the way to the feedmill, and I always seen an large wood bandsaw mill and a bunch of boats setting around. The boats are various sizes from small alum john boats to a 32 foot trawler type and everything in between. But yesterday I just happened to see a human form in amongst the trees and brush. So I turned around and went back, to inquire on the woodmilll, hopefully. Turns out this fellow lives there, no phone, in a small 17 foot camping trailer all hidden behind numerous old dilapidated sheds and junk cars and his collection of various tractors and boats. At one time he used to do a lot of small scale commercial fishing and shrimping on the coast, and also had a hand in desigining and making boats in his own venture that had problems competing with bigger companies. Anyway I asked him about the saw mill, and asked if he was interested in some pine and oak logs, (that I am having to remove the trees and hate to just trash the stuff and I have more than enough firewood for a few years to come) and he said he sure was. So once I drop those trees he will come and pick them up with his backhoe and trailer......

This fellow is into indian lore and crafts. He makes his own spear points and arrow heads, and long bows, using exactly the same techniques the indians of long ago used. Chipping and knapping flint and obsidian into various knives and points etc. He demonstrated using a Atlatta (sp?) and a long spear with replaceable tips, and to be honest, he does not need a firearm to protect himself........he put spear after spear dead on in a target from 30 or 40 yards away..............awesome. He even takes an occasional dear with the spear.

He has pieces of mock orange trees laid out with rocks and weights on them, and I remarked that can't be mock orange as its virtually impossible to find a piece of mock orange longer than about 3 feet that is even half straight, and he has lengths up to 8 feet long as straight as can be. His reply was he looks at wood as to its structure and durability, and you can make even the most twisted piece straight or the straightest piece twisted if you know how to work it. He was right.........Told me some of that mock orange and other wood he has there, he has been working for over 20 years. Some of its just right now, other pieces have a ways to go. During hurricane Ivan he was not about to be in his trailer, so he sat in his pickup truck (1970 chevy) with the engine running and watching the trees blow etc, prepared to move one way or another if a tree started to fall etc.....

He has quite a collection of old farm tractors and all kids of other stuff around his place, and is quite a character. We hit it off pretty darn good, and just thinking after all the years here I and most other folks never even knew anyone actually lived there.
He is 81 years old and as spry and fit as one can be......he puts me to shame . Makes his garden area totally by hand the old fashioned way.....no power tools other than the bandsaw wood mill. He does have quite a collection of power tools but they are in an old barn, covered in his collections of stuff unused for years. He said the old methods and ways of life is better for a long life. So he got out of the various business he used to be in , and went to a quiet, live off the land and simple way of life. Just him and his dog. I just wished I got to know him sooner than this, as I am sure he has a wealth of info and interests and knowhow that he has accumulated over his years. Needless to say I intend to visit him now that I now he lives there and see exactly what I can pickup and learn from him. He is very eager to share info, and show you things, and its a worthwhile experieince just talking with him. Said his last visitor was over 6 years ago, other than the rural mail delivery person, and he siad he rarely gets mail except for his Social Security info, bank statement and electric power bill........

No TV, just a radio, no telephone either.

Can't get much simplier than that!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Chip
Just make sure he knows when you're coming or else he may launch a spear in your direction!:knife:

It's rare to find someone with all those skills. The sad thing is that when these people die, that technology is lost forever.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing about going to visit him. When I pulled into his property, and started to get out of my truck, a big old part GSD and part something or other dog came running up to my truck. Needless to say I was not wanting to be eaten alive by is dog. The fellow was still out of sight from where I was parked, and it seemed like he took forever to come into view. There I was half in and half out of my truck sort of afraid to make a move one way or the other with a dog just staring me down.

When the fellow appeared finally, he said well are you just gonna stand there or what? I said I was unsure of the dog, and asked if he would bite...........to which he replied, yep, he is one dangerous dog........and your liable to windup with a leg being licked off before you can get back into the truck!

:D

I learned yesterday that the majority of those hand chipped flint points date back many many thousands of years to the wooly mamouth days...............long before the bow and arrow was invented........ and long befor Chief Sitting Bull walked this earth.I find a ot of them on my property, everytime I break up the soil and it lays exposed and the rain washes on it, its not uncommon to find them just laying there. I always find them when I till the garden area. I sometimes find old minnie or musket balls around my place too.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
You mentioned he collects Social Security, does that cover all his expenses? If it does, I'm guessing that property taxes are cheaper in your neck of the woods. It's none of my business what his finances are, I guess what I'm asking is, does he supplement his income by working, selling wood, teaching, writing? Speaking of writing, have you checked out Mr. Norris's web site mentioned in another thread here on old technology? Perhaps you met this old gentleman because you are supposed to document what he knows? Fate works funny like that sometimes.;)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did find out he is asked by the various organizations, clubs and universities etc here to give demostrations and such on the methods used to make spearpoints and bows and arrows etc, and he is also into gems and minerals.........if he gets paid I could not say.........He does make replica arrowheads and spear points etc and sells them as well, from what I understand........for not having a phone and very little mail he is in contact with what he needs to be in contact with.

This fella is very similar to Mr. Norris. Lots of good tales and lots of information. And tons of stuff he can actually show you first hand.

Taxes in this area is dirt cheap.......I pay less than $150 a year in my taxes.......up until about 4 years ago I was under a $100 a year in taxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts