Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Has anybody replaced a water pump in a Mercruiser outdrive?
I am installing the lower case to the upper and have a question about the O ring on the drive shaft sliding through the upper seal.
I think I have the wrong seal.
Rodster

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Rodster, if you would like I can repost your post over on Boat Doctor and get Bo to reply to it. I have messed with these units and I just go by what is in the manual. I am sure Bo can get you straight. If you want me to repost it for you, let me know.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Chief
Also tell them that they gave me a double lip seal and I think it is supposed to be a single lip.
Thanks Rodster

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have the question posted. I would post a link to it for you so you can follow it but the board requires a username and password. I'll keep checking on it for you. I still have not had the Sea Ray in the water yet. I gotto take her out for a test run at least.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chief
Was your Sea Ray the big one that was for sale or am I confusing it with somebody elses?
Rodster

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is this an alpha drive. I assume the seal you are talking about is the one in the bottom of the upper, if so th o ring will go thru.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Brian
Yes its an Alpha. I have put some in before but as I remember they had a single lip seal so the O ring would not be fighting the lip going in. When they come apart the O ring catches the lip and you have to fish out the old O ring. This seal has a lip both sides and I can't hardly get the seal over the O ring with the seal in my hand.
Rodster

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
Hi Chief
Was your Sea Ray the big one that was for sale or am I confusing it with somebody elses?
Rodster
Yep! That was the one. She is still for sale. The advertiser screwed up and did not place it in the sale publication last cycle.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Chief
I got it together and back on the boat. Lucky I had access to watch as the O ring started to go through the seal. I had to push the O ring back in the grove or the seal would have peeled
it out of the grove. That is a real dumb set up.
Rodster

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Glad you were able to get it back together. The guys on Boat Doc were not sure what seal you were talking about. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts