Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, located in qld we have a old Massey Ferguson 35 we are trying to get running but the issue we are having is that when we try to turn it over the oil gauge line gets really hot and it will not start.

Has anyone had this issue and if so how do we fix this??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
G'day Mate, welcome to the tractor forum.

I've never heard of this problem, but I suspect that you have a bad ground connection (rust & corrosion) between the engine and instrument panel, causing the circuitry to use the oil gauge tubing to complete the circuit? I guess I would run a ground wire between the engine and instrument panel. Try tow-starting it to save wear and tear on the starter.

·
1,377 Posts
Check the battery ground cable. I think that's also suspect. If it's a short cable bolted to the battery box/tray, somehow not making good contact with the engine block it may be trying to carry cranking load through whatever means possible. That just might be the oil line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day Mate, welcome to the tractor forum.

I've never heard of this problem, but I suspect that you have a bad ground connection (rust & corrosion) between the engine and instrument panel, causing the circuitry to use the oil gauge tubing to complete the circuit? I guess I would run a ground wire between the engine and instrument panel. Try tow-starting it to save wear and tear on the starter.
Ok so we have done this and the oil line is not getting hot anymore but we are tow-starting it and it will only run when being towed but the acceleration will not keep it going and we cannot rev it.
And when we have it sitting there the minute we stop pulling the clutch and accelerate it will die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so we have done this and the oil line is not getting hot anymore but we are tow-starting it and it will only run when being towed but the acceleration will not keep it going and we cannot rev it.
And when we have it sitting there the minute we stop pulling the clutch and accelerate it will die.
If this makes sense, any ideas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts