Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70ish 165. After it runs for a while i get blowback out of the dipstick. It does not run hot just blowback. Any inexpensive suggestions?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Howdy Rick, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your engine is building crankcase pressure. The engine is well worn. There should be a crankcase vent line coming off the top of the valve cover with a line that runs down to the base of the engine. Make certain this line is open for venting the crankcase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy Rick, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your engine is building crankcase pressure. The engine is well worn. There should be a crankcase vent line coming off the top of the valve cover with a line that runs down to the base of the engine. Make certain this line is open for venting the crankcase.

Thanks Harvey, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I checked the tube and it is open with no issues. I know its worn but I’m looking for anything that may keep the oil from spewing when it get hot. Ill try anything except engine rebuild. Too costly. Thought i got a good deal but now i am wondering. Thanks again

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hello Rick,

How many hours on your tractor?? First thing I would do is a compression check to see if you have a cracked piston. You should see 300-400 psi for a diesel. Does it start quickly or take a while??

Another possibility to consider is a leaking head gasket. This can happen because some of the head bolts loosen over time.

Both of the above problems will cause the crankcase to pressure up.

You can try copper-kote gasket sealant on a cork valve cover gasket. Clean surfaces well. Also check the mounting holes in the valve cover to ensure the metal is not pulled down from over-torquing the bolts. I straighten them with a hammer on a flat surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts