Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Manitou Telehandler MT422FC Maniscopic. I have a fuel problem. I was doing some work and all of a sudden it conked out. Tried to restart, it spluttered and conked out again. Tried and tried then the battery went flat. Thought it might of been air in the system so bled the fuel through the top of the filter, tried again it ran for a bit then conked out again. Now there is no fuel coming out the bleed screw on the filter. Took the fuel hose off the bottom of the pump and there was very little fuel coming through. Drained the tank, took the hose and connection off, blew out the connections with a compressor, put it all back together with a new hose, filled it back up, tried again. Still no go. No fuel coming through bleed screw on top of filter or any of the injectors. Stumped!!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Howdy stevcolx,
Obviously you are not getting enough fuel. Does your Manitou engine have a small fuel pump (lift pump) or strictly gravity flow? If you have a lift pump, the key must be on to check for flow.

Close the fuel shutoff valve under the fuel tank. If your tank is mounted low, you will have to turn on the fuel pump to check flow. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the fuel filter. Have a clean bucket available to catch fluid. Open the valve (or turn on the pump), you should have a "rush flow" of fuel. A trickle flow ain't good enough.

If flow is not good at the inlet to the filter, look for plugged fuel screens as applicable: 1) There is normally a fuel screen in in the tank outlet (gravity flow). 2) There is normally a screen in the inlet to the lift pump. 3) There is normally a screen in the top of the sediment bowl.

If you have good flow to the filter inlet, and no flow from the bleeder screw on the filter, you may have the filter installed incorrectly. You have to seat the large diameter o-ring up into the filter housing, not around the filter..... you won't get any flow if you get it wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after all the nasty weather, a lot of swearing, replaced fuel lines, replaced filter and lots of head scratching I managed to fix the fuel problem. The Lift Pump was blocked. Managed to unblock it and get diesel to pass through it. Then after loads of flat batteries got it up and running again. Whew!! Cheers for the help BigT!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts