Tractor Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
View attachment 75354

Oh my, this is going to have that JD look. It will be very cool looking now. She did very well picking that nice color. :love: I've heard of YanDeere's, your machine will be a VanDeere.

View attachment 75385
We have used that same JD model and it will leave ya walking thru the mud in a hurry. From what I recall as a kiddo that banana split mobile will run circles around the JD in any water or mud.

The JD guts are all super low to the ground and it bogs down like a rock dragging undercarriage on the ground. It may be a hauler but on dry terrain only. I’m thinking it’s more of a golf course mulch hauler. They may have other models, but the 4 wheel rear drive gets you no farther than a 2wd ac delco club car club hauler. Put that next to the 6x6 stick drive monkeys mobile and I know which one I’m wanting to cruise around in👍

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Me too..... My 10 year old next door moved and there's been nobody to sweep the shop floor, run the pressure washer, and put tools away all Summer. As the "Shop Supervisor", union work rules prohibit me from doing it, so the shop is a mess..... Guess what the Grandson gets to do right off the bat??;)
I'd be up for that kind of work now on my good days....... On second thought, considering the mess my basement work area is in and the disaster in my shop, I could use my very own 10 year old kid. My oldest grandson will be 4 this December. He is too short to reach the tool cabinet drawers for now.

Reactions: Bob Driver

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
I'll tell you Bob, I've been called a hoarder (and worse) many times, but I suspect the stuff you collect brings you fun and some joy in life, just like it does for me. My wife doesn't like it when I bring "found treasures" home. But she knows where I am all the time so she doesn't complain too much.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So Bob..........Got this thing done yet? Be great to see some pictures if ya do.......
I turned the corner about a week ago and have started putting it back together. Biggest thing was designing/fabricating a disc brake system, because I just refused to pay $175 for 4 rivet-on brake pads. Way Overpriced Brake Pads

I might post some pictures of that. I just finished puting the T-20 transmission back together today.... SOS, $165 for a "Seal Kit". $6 sheet of gasket material and $20 for the two output shaft seals from NAPA.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
OK Unsquidly.... So between finishing out the 48' Willys, working on the 66' Bronco (it now has brakes and you can drive it), I've been working off/on the 6x6 also. The big thing was replacing the worn out drive sprockets and rusted up chain. The front drive sprockets were the main issue, because that's where the mechanical disc brakes are mounted. They no longer make that sprocket/brake rotor set up and they want $175 just for the 4 riveted brake pads for the mechanical disc brakes even if that was the only problem, so essentially no service or parking brakes with just replacing the drive sprockets. Time to do some riggin'..... Surely there's a way to fit hydraulic disc brakes on this thing???

Tool Fish Household hardware Gear Metal

Yep..... Go-kart brake rotors, calipers, master cylinder, hoses. Complication (there always is one) was that most of the bigger side-by-side dual master cylinders available are "push-type" and the existing brake pedal setup was "pull-type". Dang it... Gotta fabricate a "reversing mechanism". Took a lot of thinkin'(I hate it when that happens), a lot of small part fabricating, and I'll have to readily admit to a lot of cussin'..... Here's my version of the answer to putting disc brakes on a MaxII 6x6. Whole set up was $100 with some heavy shopping on Amazon

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

OK.... Now I got this Forrest Gump looking set-up on the machine that works, but there's a floorboard on the machine that isn't gonna be even close to fitting back in place. Break out the die grinder with a cutoff wheel, some 1/8" ABS plastic sheets, and a heat gun to make this cluster look a little neater.....

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Automotive exterior

Put the T-20 transmission back to together this week after putting new seals/o-rings in it and checking the braking bands. Fired up the 16HP Vanguard engine and they are both ready to stab back in the frame. Then the whole sub-frame is ready to drop back in the tub. At the pace I'm moving, I'm shootin' for finishing it up some time before Valentine's Day. That is unless the kid decides "discretion is the better part of valor" and wants disc brakes on the front of the Willys after I install the overdrive unit that finally showed up this week and that 73 year old truck (with 73 year old manual steering) will run 70MPH;)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
That's what I remember them to look like. I recall someone in my youth had a red one with the white canopy.
View attachment 75309

It reminded me of the Lost In Space Rover but smaller. And when you are a kid watching TV and then seeing someone in town owning something like it - your eyes get glued to it.
I remember that thing! At my age then, it was the spaceship and vehicles that interested me more than anything. But I got tired of that idiot Smith being the center of so many episodes -- they should have focused more on the fantastic implements. And the supposed aliens also left much to be desired.

View attachment 75310

·
Registered
1949 TED; 1957 FE 35 ; 1953 Bristol 20 ; 1965 MF 2130
26 Posts
Just like to comment on the start of this post,
Women just don't see things that us men do! we can look at a bit of old farm machinery and can visualize what it will look like after a bit of work, but I've overcome that

I thought a few years ago it was about time I made a will, so arrange to have a meeting to sort out the house etc. at the end of it they asked if I had anything else of value
I said well I have a couple of old tractors and a few implements, they made a list and asked me their value, whilst doing that my wife kept saying "HOW MUCH" what that bit of old rust you bought is now worth that!
As the values were put against the items, tractors, ploughs, cultivators, trailers etc you could see her mind changing about the "JUNK" in her words I'd bought over the years
Now when I go to an auction and come home with an item, I now don,t get any of the old comments "what have you bought that Junk for"
She just see;s me put on my boiler suit and head off to the workshop knowing that that bit of junk will improve in value (if I sell it) harmony at last

BOBUK

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Just like to comment on the start of this post,
Women just don't see things that us men do! we can look at a bit of old farm machinery and can visualize what it will look like after a bit of work, but I've overcome that

I thought a few years ago it was about time I made a will, so arrange to have a meeting to sort out the house etc. at the end of it they asked if I had anything else of value
I said well I have a couple of old tractors and a few implements, they made a list and asked me their value, whilst doing that my wife kept saying "HOW MUCH" what that bit of old rust you bought is now worth that!
As the values were put against the items, tractors, ploughs, cultivators, trailers etc you could see her mind changing about the "JUNK" in her words I'd bought over the years
Now when I go to an auction and come home with an item, I now don,t get any of the old comments "what have you bought that Junk for"
She just see;s me put on my boiler suit and head off to the workshop knowing that that bit of junk will improve in value (if I sell it) harmony at last

BOBUK
There ain't no way in hell I would give her any inkling I'm worth more to her dead than I am alive. That's just begging to be the unfortunate male lead in an episode of "Snapped". I've seen her watch that show with a cup of coffee, pen, and note pado_O

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
OK..... Today is the day, it's finally done. Between the '48 Willys and the '66 Bronco, I've been busy with the Kid's stuff. Got the overdrive unit in the Willys last weekend and it cruises right along at 65MPH. Big improvement from 45MPH. Now the kid sees what I mean by 1948 drum brakes and he's shipping me the parts to convert to disc brakes on the front. He's also shopping the parts for power steering, you use the steering box off of a Ford ranger. It took way longer than what I wanted to get the 6x6 finished, but it's as much fun to drive as I thought. Here's the before and after pictures......

This is the way I found it in October
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Here it is after a couple of laps around the yard today. Got just a little over $1,200 in it total. Around here, it'll sell for around $3K, but I'm probably going to keep it
Tire Wheel Toy Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Yep..... Exactly what I figured when I started this project. I just heard her talking on a Skype call to her Daughter and the 4 year old Grandson, it's officially no longer "my stupid toy", it's now "our fun toy"... Should have just got another commercial zero-turn to flip, no way in hell she would go anywhere near it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, didn't expect anything short of a super kind and encouraging comment like that from you... ;). These things actually sell for a good bit of money down here when they're restored ($2,500-$3,000), there is a cult following because they were made down here.

I've got a 14 year old Grandson that's a pretty good kid and he had the floor drop out from underneath his world last week by his Mother taking off. He'll be coming to live with us next week because his Dad is on the road 3 weeks out of the month. This will be a good project over the winter for us to spend some time together in the shop and I can talk to him to make sure his life doesn't go completely off the rails. Right now, he's not feeling much love and this will be a good way to turn that around.

We'll sell it next Spring and he gets the money to buy his first ride.... Hopefully we can find something then that meets your approval standards and we can continue the process to get him raised without becoming a drug addict, or a 1% biker.
Only an Argo 8 wheeler is worth over $3000.00 . This one looks like someone separated the body on it and it probably won’t float any more without some work resealing it . Look the chains over . They can have 3 or 4 pairs of chains . Remember it has 6 wheels and it has to have more chains to a clutch . A cvt type .

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Only an Argo 8 wheeler is worth over $3000.00 . This one looks like someone separated the body on it and it probably won’t float any more without some work resealing it . Look the chains over . They can have 3 or 4 pairs of chains . Remember it has 6 wheels and it has to have more chains to a clutch . A cvt type .
Thanks for the advise, but if you read the entire thread, you will see I drug it out the weeds last October and rebuilt it from the frame up over the Winter. I pretty much know how it works, but I appreciate the pointers. Maybe you can help me out with something.... What is the main shaft thrust limit supposed to be in the T20?

I'm a little concerned about your appraisal abilities. Here's a MAX II with a plow and a cheap cab on it and this guy has no qualms about asking $6,250 3 years ago. Perhaps you might be a little off on your thinking? I'm pretty familiar with the market for ATV's and mowers down here in MS. It sounds like you must buy and sell them on a regular basis like me?

MAX II $6,250

41 - 60 of 60 Posts