Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Bob:

I happen to have an Agua Bug 2 stroke outboard motor up in the trusses that I bought new way back when. Before I put it away, I dried the carb out so it's all good. If you know anyone who needs a long shaft outboard, I have one. Used to put it on my 17 foot square stern canoe but the canoe went down the road tears ago.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bob:

I happen to have an Agua Bug 2 stroke outboard motor up in the trusses that I bought new way back when. Before I put it away, I dried the carb out so it's all good. If you know anyone who needs a long shaft outboard, I have one. Used to put it on my 17 foot square stern canoe but the canoe went down the road tears ago.
I figure the SIL owes me that trolling motor..... I gave him a pristine 1956 Western Auto "Wizard" to hang on the wall in his man cave. Found it in the loft when I moved into the shop.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Can't use regular ATV tires on it..... To heavy. Specialty tires to help it float and Higher than normal tread bars is what propels it through the water. Got a 40 lbs thrust, tiller, trolling motor my Son-in-law will donate if I fabricate quick mount brackets for duck hunting season. Wife wants a roof on it, so rig a custom folding camo net to go over that and you have a "mobile" duck blind you can drive on/off a trailer :cool:
them ducks gonna see disco with that green🤔. Maybe a camo cloth when going hunting will work.

I think that green will look cool with some striping though….I’m not into bird hunting so personally wouldn’t worry about it but I have friends who love it. Personally, I think duck taste like what rat would taste like.

Anyway, great progress and curious what the undercarriage work will involve. Shoot some pics when able….I assume they’re gear drive cuz can’t imagine how a belt drive would function….just curious

Also, do all six have drive power?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
them ducks gonna see disco with that green🤔. Maybe a camo cloth when going hunting will work.

I think that green will look cool with some striping though….I’m not into bird hunting so personally wouldn’t worry about it but I have friends who love it. Personally, I think duck taste like what rat would taste like.

Anyway, great progress and curious what the undercarriage work will involve. Shoot some pics when able….I assume they’re gear drive cuz can’t imagine how a belt drive would function….just curious

Also, do all six have drive power?
The "park it " problem was a bushing failure on the right front axle. The "body" consist of the fiberglass top I just painted and a tub (boat part). Inside the tub, there is a metal frame that contains the engine/transmission/axle mounting. The drive system is about 30' of #50 & #60 chain/spockets, a variable speed torque convertor, and a Borg-warner T20 skid steer transmission. I've got it completely tore down to the point where just the frame is sitting on one of my tables lifts. So, it's literally a frame up rebuild. Here's a couple of diagrams that shows the component lay out and how the T20 skid steers trans works....

Motor vehicle Line Font Parallel Auto part

Font Line Material property Parallel Art

·
Registered
989 Posts
So it’s a cvt belt drive to the tranny, then gear driven to all wheels? If so, does it have a cvt enclosure or is it exposed. I ask as the UTVs have an enclosure for the cvt system to keep water and debris from the belt.

mid the above is correct then I wonder why the utv has the enclosure because that 6x6 is definitely made to see more water than an UTV.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Nope..... It's belt to the T20 Trans and then chains and sprockets to the drive wheels
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive battery Hood Vehicle

All this rides in a giant, watertight "Tub", which is what makes it float

Belt from Briggs Vanguard to T20 trans.... #50 chain from T20 to upper jack shafts... #60 chain from upper to lower jack shafts (also drives center axles).... #50 chain from lower jack shafts to front and rear axles

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Gotya…so the entire system is water proofed…guess only seals are axle seals to keep water out. But even with that, it stays dry if not using as a boat.
Yep.... Sealed Axle bearings run in a double flange, backed with a big rubber gasket, and bolt to the "tub". The tub and the special tires are what actually makes it float. The tires are way lighter than ATV tires and only run 3 PSI pressure. The higher than normal tread bars are what propels it through the water.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Here is a good replacement for the original OEM tires.......These are bead lock wheels which would be great with running that low of PSI in the tires.....

Appreciate the link, BUT...... They don't make these any more and that site takes full advantage of people that don't know where else to source parts. They want $100 each for those tires. Shop on-line a little and you can buy them for $60. They want $35 for a 10' choke cable you can buy from Stens for $10. Sells 5' of Chinese made #50 chain for $60 ($12 per foot), you can buy #50 U.S. made Diamond brand chain all day long for $6 per foot at Motion Industries. $28 each for 21x11x8 tubes you can buy for $12. List goes on and on..... Every part they sell is way over priced and available some where else.

It's like the "Willys Rear Axle Seal" for $30 you see on some of these specialty Willys sites. Willys didn't make that axle, it's a Dana 53. Seal is $6, in stock at NAPA. $700 of a "front disc brake conversion kit"..... Once again it's a Dana 25 front diff, just like the ones that came on Chevy 4x4's from the mid-70's to the mid-90's. All the parts at NAPA add up to $250.

Don't even get me started on ereplacementparts.com for mower parts..... You can pay Google to have your website pop up first in a search and these sites make a lot of $$$, doing just that, off people that don't have experience looking for parts/components and just buy what they need from the 1st site they see that claims to have it in stock.

I do my best on this forum to share my parts sources just to screw this type of web-site out of sales as much as possible... Most of the time when you see me posting on this forum, it was because I was sitting at the keyboard anyway..... Looking for parts

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
I tend to buy all my hydraulically related parts from Motion Industries. They have a large warehouse and retail counter just over the Ohio line in North Toledo. I also have my hoses made up at the Parker shop in Monroe, Michigan, Good folks both places.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Appreciate the link, BUT...... They don't make these any more and that site takes full advantage of people that don't know where else to source parts. They want $100 each for those tires. Shop on-line a little and you can buy them for $60. They want $35 for a 10' choke cable you can buy from Stens for $10. Sells 5' of Chinese made #50 chain for $60 ($12 per foot), you can buy #50 U.S. made Diamond brand chain all day long for $6 per foot at Motion Industries. $28 each for 21x11x8 tubes you can buy for $12. List goes on and on..... Every part they sell is way over priced and available some where else.

It's like the "Willys Rear Axle Seal" for $30 you see on some of these specialty Willys sites. Willys didn't make that axle, it's a Dana 53. Seal is $6, in stock at NAPA. $700 of a "front disc brake conversion kit"..... Once again it's a Dana 25 front diff, just like the ones that came on Chevy 4x4's from the mid-70's to the mid-90's. All the parts at NAPA add up to $250.

Don't even get me started on ereplacementparts.com for mower parts..... You can pay Google to have your website pop up first in a search and these sites make a lot of $$$, doing just that, off people that don't have experience looking for parts/components and just buy what they need from the 1st site they see that claims to have it in stock.

I do my best on this forum to share my parts sources just to screw this type of web-site out of sales as much as possible... Most of the time when you see me posting on this forum, it was because I was sitting at the keyboard anyway..... Looking for parts

I agree with all the above.......Once again, I should have clarified this a bit more.....Not really saying to buy from this source just the tire was a good replacement.....I assumed that they were not cheap through these guys and I also assumed that you knew other cheaper places to get them....

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
It's wonderful that your wife has become part of the team working on this. Even if it is just picking the paint color, she is involved and great on you for taking in your grandson and making this a family project to bond over. Makes me wish I was 10 years old and your neighbor.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's wonderful that your wife has become part of the team working on this. Even if it is just picking the paint color, she is involved and great on you for taking in your grandson and making this a family project to bond over. Makes me wish I was 10 years old and your neighbor.
Me too..... My 10 year old next door moved and there's been nobody to sweep the shop floor, run the pressure washer, and put tools away all Summer. As the "Shop Supervisor", union work rules prohibit me from doing it, so the shop is a mess..... Guess what the Grandson gets to do right off the bat??;)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Me too..... My 10 year old next door moved and there's been nobody to sweep the shop floor, run the pressure washer, and put tools away all Summer. As the "Shop Supervisor", union work rules prohibit me from doing it, so the shop is a mess..... Guess what the Grandson gets to do right off the bat??;)

That type of work builds character.....All three of my daughters can attest to that......LOL

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
"Well that's just precious"...... Turns out she's in love with it ... No problem being mistaken for a deer that sounds like 16HP Vanguard rumbling down through the woods :rolleyes:
View attachment 75354

Oh my, this is going to have that JD look. It will be very cool looking now. She did very well picking that nice color. :love: I've heard of YanDeere's, your machine will be a VanDeere.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I tend to buy all my hydraulically related parts from Motion Industries. They have a large warehouse and retail counter just over the Ohio line in North Toledo. I also have my hoses made up at the Parker shop in Monroe, Michigan, Good folks both places.
Motion Ind. is a huge markup distributor. However, they do have products as one just can't get from a big box hardware store. They are sort of like Fastenal.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Motion Ind. is a huge markup distributor. However, they do have products as one just can't get from a big box hardware store. They are sort of like Fastenal.
Yep.... Nobody ever walked out the door of MI saying "That was pretty cheap".... But if you're looking for hard-to-find/weird components, they're a good source, and it's always quality stuff. The people working there generally know what they are talking about, unlike getting that blank stare from the part-timer in the orange, or blue vest:rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 60 Posts