Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife has said that 100's of times. Out on Facebook Marketplace earlier this evening, minding my own business, and then it just jumped out at me for $300.... GOT TO HAVE THIS THING!!!! Picking it up tomorrow morning. 6x6 out of the early 70's. It looks like an Amphicat and they were made Raymond MS. They came with a single-cylinder horizontal Sachs (16HP on a good day), but I've got several good running 20HP Briggs horizontal-opposed twins that will drop right in and pep it up a little. Even got a FH721V 25HP Kawasaki that would really add some life to it
Yep, you're right Darlin'.... I've got a serious problem:cool:

Fun Winter Project Ahead

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More for your estate sale that will inevitably occur. Too bad you won't be around to enjoy the proceeds.
Thanks, didn't expect anything short of a super kind and encouraging comment like that from you... ;). These things actually sell for a good bit of money down here when they're restored ($2,500-$3,000), there is a cult following because they were made down here.

I've got a 14 year old Grandson that's a pretty good kid and he had the floor drop out from underneath his world last week by his Mother taking off. He'll be coming to live with us next week because his Dad is on the road 3 weeks out of the month. This will be a good project over the winter for us to spend some time together in the shop and I can talk to him to make sure his life doesn't go completely off the rails. Right now, he's not feeling much love and this will be a good way to turn that around.

We'll sell it next Spring and he gets the money to buy his first ride.... Hopefully we can find something then that meets your approval standards and we can continue the process to get him raised without becoming a drug addict, or a 1% biker.

·
Registered
2021 LS MT225 4x4 with a grapple & a backhoe
108 Posts
I had one years back they are fun but slow in the water. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had one years back they are fun but slow in the water. Enjoy!
Been looking for a project/excuse to rebuild and install that FH721 Kawasaki. Looked up the parts/machining cost this morning and it will run right at $500 and that includes a new muffler. Big improvement over the 2-stroke Sachs and no mixin' fuel. They were built down here in Raymond MS, so there's a big cult following for the mud bogger crowd. It's at least a $2,500 flip next Spring....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Have an inordinate amount of stuff myself. I have this issue, I hang on to old implements I don't use anymore. Have a shed attached to the main barn, loaded with stuff from engine drive sprayers to old hay mowers. Should scrap the stuff out as scrap is pretty high again as evidenced by all the catalytic convertor thieves. They are hacking off converters around here to beat the band. Cannot get mine however as the car is too low and my diesel pickup truck lost it's converter 20 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
10,013 Posts
I have an ARGO 6 x 6 A bit of fun and they go just about anywhere.
Car Vehicle Plant Property Motor vehicle

As for crossing the water.... I have a friend out on the East Coast that has an outboard motor on the back of his. He has the eight wheel unit.
Looks like a great project for you and the grandson!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It might also be this one.........Made in Michigan......

That's what I remember them to look like. I recall someone in my youth had a red one with the white canopy.
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire Mode of transport

It reminded me of the Lost In Space Rover but smaller. And when you are a kid watching TV and then seeing someone in town owning something like it - your eyes get glued to it.

Sky Cloud Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have an ARGO 6 x 6 A bit of fun and they go just about anywhere.
View attachment 75308

As for crossing the water.... I have a friend out on the East Coast that has an outboard motor on the back of his. He has the eight wheel unit.
Looks like a great project for you and the grandson!!
I picked it up today and it's not a early 70's Amphicat like I first thought, it's a 1996 Max II. Nice surprise in that it has the 16HP Briggs Vanguard horizontal V-twin engine. Right front axle broke and they parked it with 140 hours on it in 2004. Replacement Axle is $135. Looks like I'll probably have $800 total in it when the resto is done ($300 purchase & $500 in parts/paint) I'm seeing inter-web listing this evening of $2,400 -$2800 on the late 90's Max II's, but I got a feeling this thing is going to be to much fun to drive, and it will get added to the stable of "keepers". Wife said in her MS drawl "Well that's just precious". Translated to "Yankee talk", that means she really likes it and I can probably get away with keeping it without hearing the usual bitchin' about collecting more junk.... And that's how us serial hoarders roll:cool:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I picked it up today and it's not a early 70's Amphicat like I first thought, it's a 1996 Max II. Nice surprise in that it has the 18HP Briggs Vanguard horizontal V-twin engine. Right front axle broke and they parked it with 140 hours on it in 2004. Replacement Axle is $135. Looks like I'll probably have $800 total in it when the resto is done ($300 purchase & $500 in parts/paint) I'm seeing inter-web listing this evening of $2,400 -$2800 on the late 90's Max II's, but I got a feeling this thing is going to be to much fun to drive, and it will get added to the stable of "keepers". Wife said in her MS drawl "Well that's just precious". Translated to "Yankee talk", that means she really likes it and I can probably get away with keeping it without hearing the usual bitchin' about collecting more junk.... And that's how us serial hoarders roll:cool:

SWEET......Congrats dude........Keep us posted......

·
Registered
630 Posts
Our neighbor had one when I was a kiddo in the 60s. He would take me and my brothers for rides as his kiddo wasn’t into that kind of stuff. Damn shame, we would go knock on door and ask if his dad could come out and play.

looked like that but had room for 4 like the old Monkeys TV show had. Don’t they have some kind of dual stick steer like a dozer if I recall right? Cool project and would look great cami as it’s already base tan.

I rebuilt an old Haulmaster…small tank UTV…we used oak branches, hay and other pieces of brush to pattern spray paint and it turned out really cool looking and was fun to do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd paint it red like ad or camo. I bet you could make quite a profit...me I couldn't part with it!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd paint it red like ad or camo. I bet you could make quite a profit...me I couldn't part with it!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
"Well that's just precious"...... Turns out she's in love with it and is really looking forward to running it around the property with the Grandsons. She was worried about taking it back on the trails in 20 acre woods next door with it painted that light brown color during hunting season. Washing machine took a dump, so when we were at Lowe's yesterday, I let her pick out a color and this is what she came up with..... No problem being mistaken for a deer that sounds like 16HP Vanguard rumbling down through the woods :rolleyes:

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Plastic Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
"Well that's just precious"...... Turns out she's in love with it and is really looking forward to running it around the property with the Grandsons. She was worried about taking it back on the trails in 20 acre woods next door with it painted that light brown color during hunting season. Washing machine took a dump, so when we were at Lowe's yesterday, I let her pick out a color and this is what she came up with..... No problem being mistaken for a deer that sounds like 16HP Vanguard rumbling down through the woods :rolleyes:

View attachment 75354
Nothing beats the age old '5 gallon finish'.....lol

Agri Supply has ATV tires and tubes on sale this month....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing beats the age old '5 gallon finish'.....lol

Agri Supply has ATV tires and tubes on sale this month....
Can't use regular ATV tires on it..... To heavy. Specialty tires to help it float and Higher than normal tread bars is what propels it through the water. Got a 40 lbs thrust, tiller, trolling motor my Son-in-law will donate if I fabricate quick mount brackets for duck hunting season. Wife wants a roof on it, so rig a custom folding camo net to go over that and you have a "mobile" duck blind you can drive on/off a trailer :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts