1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am running Windows 98 and my hard drive is partitioned
with C as the main drive and D as save. I went to run my restore
so I can save my current set up to D drive. It says I don't have room as the D is almost full.
I have a data file folder in D that is using a ton of space. The
files I have in it are ( factory ) numbered from .002 up to ,013
and ( user) numbered from .002 to .015 plus a few other files. If I could delete some of the factory and user files I would have enough room as the factory folders are using 48,832KB each and the user folders are using 97,664KB each. Can I safely delete the lower numbered files safely ?
Rodster

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
hey Rod, have you considered getting an old hard drive and throwing it in? I keep 3 drives in my PC and have a batch file that backs up my docs, oulook pst files, my favorites, downloads, dekstop, dig pics, start menu,quicken files, business applications ect.

So if my drive crashes i can easily restore my data and files.... id still need to do a restore but all of my data would be saved...

Not sure what type of backup files they are, is it an application you run that backs up your data? or you using ms backup? either way, id save them to a CD in case for some reason they were needed..
I run 98 also and the bacth backup works well in it... becasue 98 does not have specific document and folder settings so you can back up my documents instead of having to specify a profile (as in win NT, 2000, and XP)

sj

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John
I have a Compaq and the program is called( Quick Restore)
it is a pre loaded program. I think that is about the only thing that D drive is used for. It is just storage. I save all my other things on C drive. I also have a ton or room on C drive. I never save anything that I do on D drive except my backup of my system
and settings. I am not a computer expert by any means.
Rod

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i have an ibm laptop and it had a backup pgm that would create an image every time the drive data changed... it ended up taking too much space... the old files on the d drive, what date do they have as for changed date and time? if they are just re-images and old AND they have not been accessed for a long time, i'd guess they could be deleted (id back them up to disk 1st)

what do you plan to do? delete your C drive and do a restore from your D drive?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The files that are titled factory are from May of 2002. They are
dated one minute apart. That is when they were last modified.
The user files are also dated a minute apart but modified in January of 2003. It does not say when they were created.
All I want to do is to save my current set up in D drive with my
quick restore program. But I only have 300MB left on D
Rod

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
do you have a cd burner? if it were me, id

1. make a windows 98 bootup floppy.... control panel... add/remove pgms... Windows setup.. create Bootup disk.

2. copy all the D Drive files that you think are old, to a CD. Then delete. (empty recycle bin)

3. Reboot pc.. does it come up?
3.a. If yes, do a complete backup to your D drive.
3.b; If it does not boot up.. Reboot from bootup CD, then copy all files back to the D drive.

4. either way, id get another drive in there. Yiou have a C & D drive, but if its really only 1 hard drive that is partitioned, if the drive goes.. you may lose both partitions of the drive. and even though you backed up to the D partition, if the entire drive dies, you may not be able to access D.

If you do your backup to an entirely different drive... if your original drive crashed (master), you would still have the secondary (slave) with your backups on it.

sj

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a restore disk if it crashes but then I have to install
my other stuff. The only thing I care about losing are all my pictures but I transfer them to my laptop and burn them there. My
desktop does not have a burner. I do have a boot disk though.
I will try deleting the files when I get some time. I have been in the garage working on my 46 Indian.
Rodster

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
A few options...

1) Add another harddrive. They are cheap.

2) Add a CD burner... again, they are getting real cheap. Backup files, then delete. (I probably wouldn't do this, it only prolongs the problem)

3) Run partition magic (or something like that) and repartition C to give some space to D (I probably wouldn't do this, it only prolongs the problem)

4) Pick and choose files to get rid of. (I probably wouldn't do this, it only prolongs the problem)

5) Turn on disk compression for the D drive if you are not already. It will slow you down a little with pretty much any disk access, but it's free. (I probably would not do this, it only prolongs the problem)

So, I guess you can see that I am recommending adding a drive to your system. You can get a 40gig drive for under $100. You can go to a computer show and get a smaller drive for probably under $50.00.

You can go the CD-RW route for $40.00 and move all large files (such as pictures) to CD. Probably a good idea to burn two copies of all pictures to CD so you won't loose them.

If you right-click and choose propeties on the files, it will show you the last update date AND the create date if that is of interest to you.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have over 6 Gig free on my C drive. I think what I will do is move the files to my laptop and then try it. I have a turbo link to move things between both computers. Like I say the only thing that gets stored to D drive is my backup. I never had this hapen before.
Later Rod
PS..I wish Andy would fix the smileys ( Hint Hint)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I burn several cd's of my work files regularly to make sure nothing gets lost. If I lost some of my files, I would have a heck of a time recovering them. I also put them on our network drive once every couple of weeks.

Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can only go from top to bottom the left to right slide bar is under
where it says options. So I can only get some.
Rodster:)

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
HILARIOUS... works for me at work, but now that I am at home reading your post... happens for me to. I'll see if I have time to look at why.

IE 6.0.2800.1106 on XP

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved. I just went in and deleted out the user files. Then
ran my back up and all is well.
Rodster:clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts