Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2016 Mahindra 1526 manual transmission that is stuck in gear. Brief rundown; my son jumped on it to move it. I had left it parked in the Low range setting when I last used it. He, not being very familiar with the hi/low range option, (I found out after grilling him. I was running a chainsaw in the pasture) instead of asking what’s up with it moving so slow, he decided to start trying to jam it in different gears in an attempt to increase speed. Now, I have a $20k tractor that appears to be stuck in 4th gear. BUT, the shifter arm is actually in the neutral position between 1st & 2nd gear. The hi/low works fine of course, the shifter just won’t budge from that position. I’m hoping it’s just a linkage problem, but I’m fearing the worst. I was a mechanic for 15 years prior to losing most of my eyesight, so I’m inclined to try and fix it myself with a little time if it’s a linkage issues. Otherwise, if it’s internal, I’ll have to send it to the sho. Anyone know where I should start looking? Can’t see it very well, but the linkages feel mildly complicated and I don’t know which linkage does what. I’ll try and post pics. Any hel would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
928 Posts
I doubt your problem is very serious. I ran into this very problem on a small Mahindra (no sure of the exact model) just a few weeks ago. All it required was to reach under the panel below the shifter and move the rod for third/fourth gears back to neutral. The shifter then falls back into place and you're off and running again. Thirty second fix.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I agree with Fedup, simple misalignment. In your photo looking down at the linkage, you will see a notch on the plate to which the lever with two bolts on the top attaches. That notch is out of alignment with the 3rd/4th gear selector. Closest to the transmission you will see a vertical dog on the 3rd/4th gear selector linkage that needs to slide into alignment with that notch.

Reach under the linkage and move the linkage on the bellcrank that is part of that vertical dog to the rear and the dog will align with the notch.

Do not force the linkage, if it does not just snap back so the dog and notch align, press the clutch and worry the 3rd/4yh bellcrank forward and back until it does snap back to the neutral position.

If it refuses to move into place, use your warranty. Also, do not be too hard on the kid, this type of linkage on tractors tends to bind like this unless shifted like it is made of an eggshell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to me today. Fix was as simple as pressing in the clutch and moving the vertical dog with a crescent wrench so it lined back up with the notch in the shift lever. Attached pic is of it out of alignment. You can see that it is resting on the edge of the ear instead of in the notch.
gear_ear.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I doubt your problem is very serious. I ran into this very problem on a small Mahindra (no sure of the exact model) just a few weeks ago. All it required was to reach under the panel below the shifter and move the rod for third/fourth gears back to neutral. The shifter then falls back into place and you're off and running again. Thirty second fix.
Had the same problem yesterday. Today I searched for answer, got this one and it worked a treat. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happened to me today. Fix was as simple as pressing in the clutch and moving the vertical dog with a crescent wrench so it lined back up with the notch in the shift lever. Attached pic is of it out of alignment. You can see that it is resting on the edge of the ear instead of in the notch. View attachment 38903
The fix suggested here really does work. Saved us a trip to the shop!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very worthwhile post. Here's more info to help others. My 2016 1538 Shuttle has 60 hours and got stuck in 3rd gear with the gear shifter looking like it was in neutral. I removed 5 screws (1 is underneath on the side) to remove the plastic guard over the shifter and was able to see the linkage rods. I sprayed liberally with WD-40 (not sure that's the best stuff however I had it and was getting impatient with this problem). I tried to lock the clutch engaged however it doesn't look like the clip fit right. So I got onto the cab floor facing backwards, depressed the clutch pedal with one foot pushing down on it behind me, attached a crescent wrench to the out-of-position piece at an angle, and I tapped the wrench lightly with a hammer. The piece went back into the notch very very easily. Photo attached; the notch with piece back in position is on the left side just at the end of the thickest rod which is the gear speed shift lever; there's a similar one on the right side that is also in place. (Previously I had tried to wiggle the rods free from underneath with no luck, however I did not have a helper to engage the clutch and disengage the gears.) I guess the point here is that option #2 was to call Mahindra and have a warranty call for a tech to come on-site. There was no way this newbie tractor owner was going to try to drive my tractor up onto my flatbed with only 3rd gear! I am glad I found this post because I suspect it will happen again... I normally shift carefully and will now continue to do so. (BTW, when I was a teenager we had a 67 Chevy Biscayne with 3 on the Tree that used to lock up the gears at inconvenient times like at the bank drive-through; the fix was to open the hood and just jiggle the linkage rods at the joints to clear stuckness; so I was quite ok doing this fix myself.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had no problems getting the gear back in between the dogs. I just used a crescent wrench, however their is still a lot of play, which makes me think this will do this again. It's already happened twice. Don't know if there's a spring or something in there that's loose and making it so sloppy that the gear slips out.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
It is the design of the linkage that leaves too much clearance which allows the selector to slide past the slot it needs to engage. You could take the assembly out, weld it up and re-machine to closer tolerances, but it will be back to square one in a matter of time. The metal is simply too soft and wears rapidly. It is simpler to keep it well lubed and baby the shifts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I talked to the dealer service dept today & they advised doing exactly what is recommended here. Two trips to the barn before the light came on & i understood what to do. Fixed in less than a minute! Thanks for the assistance. Ready to get back to work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This same thing happened to me late yesterday. Once I got over being ticked off I looked online and found this forum and my solution. I just signed up as a new member. Thanks everyone for the information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happened to me today. Fix was as simple as pressing in the clutch and moving the vertical dog with a crescent wrench so it lined back up with the notch in the shift lever. Attached pic is of it out of alignment. You can see that it is resting on the edge of the ear instead of in the notch. View attachment 38903
that's a really good photo there, thx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy and thanks for the great solution to the same problem I have. My difficulty is understanding how to get the rod for third/fourth gears to move! I've tried everything and nothing! I see others mention a crescent wrench applied to the vertical dog link, but this is unclear to me (I guess I'm a little old and slow!) HELP!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts