Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a sad day at my house today. I had to have my girl put down. Lulu was six years old and a great dog. She always had something to say and loved life, including kids, cats, and other animals. One would think that at fifty-four years old I would not get emotional about an animal, but I find that even though it was the right thing to do , putting a pet , my friend down sure has put a damper on this day.
Lulu was diagnosed with a spindle cell tumor on her nose about a year ago. She was operated on three times and each time it came back . I had an M.R.I. done, x-rays, even a trip to Cornell U, and there was nothing that could be done to stop it. Ussually these tumors develope on legs and the limb is amputated, but that was not an option.
I decided that once her quality of life was gone I would do the right thing. The tumor had grown so large that it involved one of her eyes and her breathing became noisy in the last couple of weeks. It took her twice as long to eat and she started bleeding. I can not say enough for the good folks at my local A.S.P.C.A. , they do in deed love animals.
My sweet little dog is gone but by no means forgotten any time soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I've had to make the same decision more than once over the years. It is the right decision, but it is never an easy one to make. She did well by you, and you did well by her. Again, you have my sympathy.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
The loss of a 4 legged family member is always so tough. I lost mine last year when he was 8. He is gone, but not forgotten.

Glad you were able to get Lulu as much help as you could. Do you have other dogs that can help ease the pain for now? Makes you realize just how much they mean to you when they are not there.

Will be thinking of you and Lulu, Slip.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
sorry about Lulu... they are like a part of the family.. in some cases.. the best part of the family...

you can at least know that you did the best you could to keep her alive and well for as long as possible..

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Sorry about your loss. Unfortunately, I think it gets tougher as we get older. When we had to have our Pomeranian put down last year it was tough. I put together a list in my mind of all the dogs I've had over the years and there was a lot of pain there but a lot of good memories for every one of them.
My condolences to you. Hutch

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sorry to hear that slip. I have a cat thats about 17 years old the vet said thats about 105 years in humans. He don't have but about 30% of his kidneys working so he don't have to many years left. At least i hope he has a few more years. This cat was born here in my home and has been a very good friend to me. My old job i would come home at all hours of the night but when i open that door he was right there bright eyed and bushy tailed to greet me. While the dog and my wife slept some watch dog huh. This cat follows me all over inside the house and outside the house. Hes a very good friend and its going to be painful when his time comes. So i know how much she meant to you and how hard it is for you. Just remember the good times because i know y'all had many.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. It took guts to do what needed to be done instead of dragging out her suffering with continued treatments. Not all pet owners can do that.

-=A=-

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Awe Slip...........:confused: I am really sorry to hear about that. I can sure identify with how you must feel. I lost Koondog not all that long ago and it was my first digging job with the FEL on my tractor. A hell of a way to break the bucket in. It sure is easy to get attached to them and love them. Never thought I would have shed tears but we all did as we held hands and stood around the grave and had a little family service for her when we burried her. I am sure you gave her the most enjoyable life a dog could ever expect.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The 4 legged friends who dont sass and usually do as told are very hard to remove from our lives..

Slip I know the feelings that were brought to the forefront and it difficult to face the fact that anyone or thing needs to move out of our lives...It called helplessness....

Keep the chin up and low and behold there will be something to take its place...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry about your loss, slipshod. I had to put down my cat a few years ago, I had her since she was a kitten from when I was still single. She would wait for me at the door like a dog would, and when I would sit in my recliner she would stretch out on my chest and lay her chin on my shoulder and purr. A great stress reliever from a great pet. I wasn't cat person (but not a hater, either) before I got her through circumstance. She was a great companion.

Again. sorry for your loss, Slipshod.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Different Place

My place is different with LULU gone. It is much to quiet as she was a very vocal dog. Poor Elvis is still confused but he knows she is gone, having my son's chocolate lab every day has helped. Elvis has gone visiting at my son's overnight and to my neice's house to play with her golden "Rex". Little things change like no more rubber band to keep the nosy beagle out of the cupboard that hides the garbage can, and the crate can come down because Elvis sleeps on the floor and stays off the furniture.
Thanks guys.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts