Tractor Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Old thread come to life….I would stay away from Gray Market tractors…not sure what a knock off is referring to, but gray market is non labeled made with non standard parts for unregulated over seas markets. May look like a name brand but stuff don’t match up and parts are scarce.

Yes JD uses Yanmar motors in some models, but so does Bobcat UTVs and multiple marine boat makers. Ram, Peterbilt and Kenworth also use Cummins and Detroit diesels. I’ve been very happy with my Kubota but was also happy with my Yanmar other than being too small a model for my use.

point being….JD, Kubota, Kioti, LS, MF and Mahindra will all have good and bad stories out there. Having a local helpful dealer is essential for any of em….I bought my Kubota used and have found local dealer to be less than helpful for minor part requests…that means I will never go there for any issue with tractor, so I will drive past them and keep going for an hour where they know what they’re doing and aren’t so fat and lazy they can’t stand up or return a call.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Old thread come to life….I would stay away from Gray Market tractors…not sure what a knock off is referring to, but gray market is non labeled made with non standard parts for unregulated over seas markets. May look like a name brand but stuff don’t match up and parts are scarce.

Yes JD uses Yanmar motors in some models, but so does Bobcat UTVs and multiple marine boat makers. Ram, Peterbilt and Kenworth also use Cummins and Detroit diesels. I’ve been very happy with my Kubota but was also happy with my Yanmar other than being too small a model for my use.

point being….JD, Kubota, Kioti, LS, MF and Mahindra will all have good and bad stories out there. Having a local helpful dealer is essential for any of em….I bought my Kubota used and have found local dealer to be less than helpful for minor part requests…that means I will never go there for any issue with tractor, so I will drive past them and keep going for an hour where they know what they’re doing and aren’t so fat and lazy they can’t stand up or return a call.
I am not going to say that this is the case 100% of the time because all manufactures will have issues from time to time and spit out a lemon but, I think a lot of the time the failures on newer model tractors are due to the user not knowing and not taking the time to learn how to properly use and maintain their equipment. Then they come onto a site like this and badmouth that brand when it is not the brand's fault but theirs and they would have had the same problem no matter what brand they bought......

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I am not going to say that this is the case 100% of the time because all manufactures will have issues from time to time and spit out a lemon but, I think a lot of the time the failures on newer model tractors are due to the user not knowing and not taking the time to learn how to properly use and maintain their equipment. Then they come onto a site like this and badmouth that brand when it is not the brand's fault but theirs and they would have had the same problem no matter what brand they bought......
ABSOLUTELY AGREE….The site is setup to help those (like me) learn how to maintain, repair and make wise use of machines. Whenever we get into the which to buy, we enter the Chevy, Ford or Dodge debate. There’s always varying opinions and that’s good but there’s no absolute on brand selection…..except NOBODY should ever purchase a Ford truck which is understood (sorry but they screwed me over).

I think the one agreed upon value in brand is having local quality dealer for help and parts. Here, we have a New Holland dealer and Kubota recently bought out by a chain dealer….combined they would rate an 8 out of 10 and that’s a generous 4 each. Only quality tractor repair went away when pops had to retire and moved to assisted living and fam turned it into a lawn mower sales and parts business.
Not blaming them as pops was the tractor knowledge. I’ve found the dealers who strictly cater to small homestead places (like mine) are lacking in service, attention and give general give a damn. I reckon is due to most customers not knowing come here from sickem about tractors.

For me…I will drive about an hour east or north and go to a dealer geared up for farmers/ranchers as they seem to appreciate repeat customers. Honestly, I would be more knowledgeable as salesman at some of these places and I am no way qualified for that job duty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Doubtful

the tiny amount you'll save ??? You must be a millionaire to make a statement
like that!!! The difference in price you can purchase all the attachments you need
plus the options on a Kubota are standard on an LS tractor! PLUS there are a lot
of happy LS tractor owners. LS is expanding and getting more dealers they check
;out the dealers before they can become a dealer. Why would anyone in their
right mind pay for a name when they can get a quality tractor with more options
that are standard for less money??????????????????☹

willy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Too many times you hear someone say this brand is crap the loader is junk but they didn't look to see who made the loader or the part/attachment that was faulty is just THIS BRAND OF TRACTOR IS CRAP! Granted some dealers add cheap attachments because the good ones are not available you just have to look out for what you are getting.John Deere is living off the reputation of Yanmar because Yanmar made JD tractors for over 20 years. Yanmar diesel engines are still being used by JD but look at what they
make the tractors out of now!

Some one said that Kubota was using aluminum on the back of their
tractors this can't be true can anyone verify this and let me know one
way or another??? Thanks for any information

willy

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Too many times you hear someone say this brand is crap the loader is junk but they didn't look to see who made the loader or the part/attachment that was faulty is just THIS BRAND OF TRACTOR IS CRAP! Granted some dealers add cheap attachments because the good ones are not available you just have to look out for what you are getting.John Deere is living off the reputation of Yanmar because Yanmar made JD tractors for over 20 years. Yanmar diesel engines are still being used by JD but look at what they
make the tractors out of now!

Some one said that Kubota was using aluminum on the back of their
tractors this can't be true can anyone verify this and let me know one
way or another??? Thanks for any information

willy
never heard the aluminum story on kubota…..the one I bought doesn’t have aluminum but mine is a 2014 I got 2 years ago. Wouldn’t make sense to me as aluminum is so expensive anyway. Go price a Ford fender for a f150 as those are aluminum.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
never heard the aluminum story on kubota…..the one I bought doesn’t have aluminum but mine is a 2014 I got 2 years ago. Wouldn’t make sense to me as aluminum is so expensive anyway. Go price a Ford fender for a f150 as those are aluminum.

From 2017 on not only Ford F-150 but all F series truck bodies are aluminum.......F-150 to F-550.........

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If I hadn’t mentioned….Don’t buy Ford as they don’t support their product! …. 6.0 and no need to say more. Sorry but I take every chance I can to kill a Ford sale.

LOL......You have mentioned it a few times on here and we are going to have to agree to disagree on that subject........LOL......After my one and only time buying brand new Dodge truck, a 1994 2500 4x4 diesel, I am in the same boat with Dodge that you are with Ford.......LOL

·
Registered
112 Posts
What's the problem with the Dodge 4x4 diesel??

Out of all the Dodge pickups and cars my 77 1/2 ton the resistor block on the firewall would die July 7 every year. Easy fix just put a new one right next to the old one and plugged it in.
I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel 140K+ now I have to replace a gasket its leaking oil. I also had a 1969 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hard top tranny died at 156K. I have had Chryslers
and that's the only problems that I have had with all of them been driving since 1954.

willy

·
Administrator
11,248 Posts
Well, just my two cents worth, ( about 1.55 USD) If you are talking new trucks, I'd say they are all the same these days. Was looking for a new truck last fall and did a lot of looking at reviews etc. The "Big Three" all seemed to have just as many complaints and issues, but not all bad reviews either. Neither one seemed to be better or worse that the other. Seems if you want quality and value, check out the Japanese offerings. they are made in North America these days.
As far as I'm concerned, the Big Three are only interested in producing and selling high end, high profit 4x4 crew cabs!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
What's the problem with the Dodge 4x4 diesel??

Out of all the Dodge pickups and cars my 77 1/2 ton the resistor block on the firewall would die July 7 every year. Easy fix just put a new one right next to the old one and plugged it in.
I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel 140K+ now I have to replace a gasket its leaking oil. I also had a 1969 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hard top tranny died at 156K. I have had Chryslers
and that's the only problems that I have had with all of them been driving since 1954.

willy

I had multiple problems with that truck..............Everything from the driver's side inside door panel falling off when driving down the road due to only being secured with the clips that hold it on the line until the screws get installed to a major oil leak resulting in a brand new engine at about 20K miles due to no gasket on the oil pan. It also had the smaller gas motor exhaust pipe from the muffler pipe back which is hell on valves......I had the truck for about a year and a half and traded it in on a F-350 diesel......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get the Kubota. Everything will need service eventually and that's when you'll be glad you have a good dealer to fix the problem and take care of you. Re-sale is everything too. It will be very hard to convince anyone to buy a used LS or any other off brand unless you practically give it away. I have two Kubota's and have no issues, great service too.
To the people who want real feedback on these lesser known brands or off brands, steer clear guys. Spend a little more on a better known name with a company that spends a ton on engineering, testing and quality control. All these things cost money and either you or the company is going to be the guinea pig. I prefer the company to be the guinea pig through rigorous engineering to design a tractor to hold up to years of hard use, a tractor that will start in cold weather, gaskets that will hold up with good rubber and not cheap dry rotted things that start leaking a few months later and so much more guys. Don't even bother with them. I've been there twice, yes I know, I'm gullible and fell for the slick Rick salesman BS.
LS Tractors are epecting over 250 new dealers but they are checking so they really get some good qualified dealers and they are expecting
more dealers. Kubota tractors are high priced and you can have problems getting parts as one person has been waiting for over 4 months
for a part from Kubota just to mention one. PLUS you have to pay for items that are standard on LS tractors are on OPTION ON KUBOA and of course Kubota will soak you for the options! Its only common sense to purchase a tractor with all the standard equipment for less money and be able to purchase all the attachments you need and still have money for
fuel!!!!

willy

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
LS Tractors are epecting over 250 new dealers but they are checking so they really get some good qualified dealers and they are expecting
more dealers. Kubota tractors are high priced and you can have problems getting parts as one person has been waiting for over 4 months
for a part from Kubota just to mention one. PLUS you have to pay for items that are standard on LS tractors are on OPTION ON KUBOA and of course Kubota will soak you for the options! Its only common sense to purchase a tractor with all the standard equipment for less money and be able to purchase all the attachments you need and still have money for
fuel!!!!

willy
what? Don’t listen to general statements! answer Where these 200 dealers will be…who are they and what background aid LS conducting to vet them. Not being ugly, but this is off the wall type talk. You need an established dealer nearby and not an epiphany dealer that will never be there.

what options vs what cost? Total rigged price vs total rigged price? Not saying anything against LS or any other brand, I’m just saying talk specifics.

JD is a good-proven tractor, but they lock you into proprietary attachments in the FEL. That was until someone came up with skidsteer attach for their system. It’s an added cost and that is a specific issue. The hookup is just as simple to be honest as I’ve worked both JD and ssqa plates. The downside is cost of jd attachments vs all others.
LS has ssqa so that comparable to Kioti, Kubota and many others.

so what are you talking about? Hydro aux connections, 3pt connects or stabilizers? AWD or HST? Fuel tank placement or exposable sensitive components?

·
Registered
112 Posts
what? Don’t listen to general statements! answer Where these 200 dealers will be…who are they and what background aid LS conducting to vet them. Not being ugly, but this is off the wall type talk. You need an established dealer nearby and not an epiphany dealer that will never be there.

what options vs what cost? Total rigged price vs total rigged price? Not saying anything against LS or any other brand, I’m just saying talk specifics.

JD is a good-proven tractor, but they lock you into proprietary attachments in the FEL. That was until someone came up with skidsteer attach for their system. It’s an added cost and that is a specific issue. The hookup is just as simple to be honest as I’ve worked both JD and ssqa plates. The downside is cost of jd attachments vs all others.
LS has ssqa so that comparable to Kioti, Kubota and many others.

so what are you talking about? Hydro aux connections, 3pt connects or stabilizers? AWD or HST? Fuel tank placement or exposable sensitive components?
Map World Organism Font Terrestrial animal

They didn't say where they are opening up new dealerships
I know in Wisconsin they have some new dealerships
What's the big hype about???? I read that LS tractors wants to add 250 new dealerships don't remember what year it was and then they plan on adding more the next year.

JD is a good proven tractor made by Yanmar????

Have read that the JD plastic tractors don't
hold up plastic becomes brittle and cracks up
and they are purchasing different tractors and
forgeting about the plastic JD tractors!

willy

101 - 116 of 116 Posts