Tractor Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
LS is a good tractor, but having a good dealer is important also. LS is not an off brand. They are not as well known as other brands, but if you do research you will discover the LS has more user friendly features than many well known brands. By the way LS makes tractors for other companies too.
Every tractor is nice when they are brand new, but the question is when it breaks down which they all will at some point, can you get parts?
Is thier a good dealer network with in a reasonable distance from your location should you have the take the tractor in for warranty work. Nothing more frustrating than having your 2 year old tractor just out of the bumper to bumper warranty that you paid fat money for, sitting at a dealer waiting on parts especially if it isn’t covered under warranty. So for that reason I choose to go with a Kubota due to thier dealer network, reputation, and product support, plus resale is higher. To me it is worth paying more for these added benefits and save the stress in my life, and not having a piece of equipment what could be nothing more than a yard ornament. My .02 cents

·
Registered
112 Posts
JD is well know because Yanmar made their tractors for over 30 years and JD still uses Yanmar
diesel engines! Did you notice that I said now JD is plastic hood, fenders and floor pan? Try
to purchase these parts and see how much you will have to pay! Another thing is JD is way
over priced compared to other tractors! So you think JD is a good buy when its going to cost
a bundle to replace all the plastic parts on a JD in a few years????????

willy

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
JD is well know because Yanmar made their tractors for over 30 years and JD still uses Yanmar
diesel engines! Did you notice that I said now JD is plastic hood, fenders and floor pan? Try
to purchase these parts and see how much you will have to pay! Another thing is JD is way
over priced compared to other tractors! So you think JD is a good buy when its going to cost
a bundle to replace all the plastic parts on a JD in a few years????????

willy
We are obviously on 2 different levels. You are talking about little JD's, I'm talking about ag tractors and no, I don't own one but I know farmers that do.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Actually, John Deer contracted with Yannmar for the engines only. Everything else was JD. I hauled a passel of them out of Horicon, Wisconsin back in the day. Yanmar didn't build the tractors, JD did. They only supplied the engines and only for the CUT's and Sub CUTS, nothing else.

·
339 Posts
Yanmar did make several models of tractor for Deere.
The 50 series (example 650,750,850,950,1050), the 70 series, 90 series.
3005, 4005, 2305 are just a few that I know of. I'm sure there are more.
My previous tractor was a JD 850, it was built by Yanmar for Deere (the tractor, not just the engine.)

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Could very well be. All the ones I saw at Horicon, Wisconsin that were diesel powered were Yanmar engines installed in JD chassis and used JD running gear.

Hauled a ton of them. Never owned one myself and never will. I don't 'bleed green' as a rule. I do own one JD implement and the parts for it when I need parts are quite expensive if I buy them from the local dealer, which I usually don't. I tend to buy my consumable parts from Shoup instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doubtful

If you're an actual farmer who relies on that tractor everyday, the tiny amount you'll save is not worth the everyday hassle, period. I've been there and done that. Faulty wiring, questionable engines, soft steel, bolts falling out and the maintenance issues with getting filters or brakes. I've always checked with those dealers who said they had those parts right on the shelf at all times. I broke a fan belt and waited weeks for it to come in. When the belt broke, it also broke other items like the radiator hose and overflow jug. Bad engineering. I will only buy Kubota's now because I have excellent experience with them, the prices are great, parts are available usually right there or next day and I rely on these tractors every single day. I need them to start when it's cold and run 365 days per year. If an LS dealer or any other off brand goes belly up, no one will rush in to take that dealership over anytime soon. It's your money, if you decide to save a few thousand at initial purchase, I can just about guarantee you'll spend that and much more for expensive parts and wished you had spent the few thousand more and bought a better known tractor.
Yeah once thought the same way then got a new JD that broke down before it had 40 hrs on it with light use. Also had a 80 plus hp JD that was a nightmare. Had both Mahindra and LS zero trouble out of both both used and abused. Also both had more features and were just better built. Hey but nothing like the old stories by the old timers about how great that JD or whatever brand is that they worked on constantly. Also remember the old timers bad mouthing Kubota those Japanese made pieces of junk they would say. Actually had a Kubota back then and was a really good tractor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kubota's don't have problems????????????

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Willy, they all have issues, every make, every brand, especially the newer T4 final, common rail, electronically controlled (ECM) units.

The more complex they become, the more prone they are to issues. Not just Kubota, but every make.

Gone are the days of simple tractors with mechanical injection, exhaust manifold and muffler, replaced with all sorts of emissions reducing apparatus that seems to be failure prone on ALL makes, not just Kubota.

·
Registered
112 Posts
LS tractors are built in South Korea, not China
I believe they own a factory in China for the Chinese market. But to my knowledge the LS tractors sold here are made in Korean.

LS Mtron Tops NAEDA Satisfaction Survey

LS, Kioti, TYM and Branson made in Korea

Simply put, LS Tractor gives you more standard features, more performance, more warranty and more satisfaction for less money than other brands. The only reason I didn't purchase
an LS is I liked the Yanmar YT235C it was more comfy for this ole man. LS tractors are
expanding and getting more dealers all over the United States. John Deere tractors were
great but then Yanmar made JD tractors for over 20 years! A lot of guys says kubota is
a good tractor however you can do a google search and find that people say they are the
worst tractor on the market! So the bull shit about name brand tractors are the ones you
should buy because of parts do a google search and find out people have to wait for parts
as the dealer don't have them in stock! The so called off brands have more features and
cost less and with the difference in price you can purchase the attachments that you need!
kubota is a name brand so why would anyone want to spend their money on a tractor that
people say that its the worst on the market???? because they had a lot of problems with
their tractor and anyone who buys a tractor can have problems with it if they don't do the
maintenance on it is the biggest problems people have with their tractors they don't take
care of them and when the problems happen they are a piece of junk plain and simple.

willy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well darn…guess I bought the worse tractor made when I flipped the money down for this Kubota. I will say I’ve put around 60 hours on my Kubota this first year and I’m very pleased with this used purchase. All of them are machines and will break…they’re made by man, not God.

JD is a good tractor as are many other brands. Main thing is to check on dealer service and part availability. I have a Kubota dealership 5 minutes away. Another thing is if the setup suits your use. Many farmers here run Kubota and New Holland, but when it gets to the BIG machines, most here are green.

I will add, my hesitation with JD was their proprietary attachment hookup for the FEL. I wanted to get used fel attachments to save some money and JD would’ve limited the selection.

I wouldn’t get an LS, not because of tractor but because there’s no dealer around here. I can make simple repairs and do maintenance, but come computer check time I’m loading and hauling to dealer.

But being this thread is old old old…the poster probably has already purchased and is beyond warranty by now.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
I'd say my 2 have been trouble free, one has 6,000 hours on it and the other 2500 hours and it's all farming, not playing at tractoring... They get maintained, and washed and kept inside when not being used. Machines, if you take care of them will last decades. 2002 and 2004 aren't ancient but they aren't new either. My total mechanical issues have been one leaking FEL lift cylinder that my dealer warranted and one front crank seal that I paid to have installed by my dealer., I needed an outboard rebushed form wear and the tie rod ends replaced (wear again). Had my dealer do that. Still on my OEM shoes but I'll need new shoes on the 2002 next year.

Some of the ones I see on here were obviously abused and put away wet. Don't happen with either of my Kubota's.

I don't even let them get dirty and if they are dirty after being used for my hay operation, they get washed and greased before they get put away and that happens before I eat my dinner.... always

I dislike getting dirty from my tractors, nothing worse than greasy hands.

You decide.... Pictures say everything.

One thing about them is, I don't 'love' either of them. They are just machines to effectuate an end game, in my case my forage business but when I need them, they are always ready to go with zero issues.

If I didn't have a good dealer, I'd probably be running something else because with me at least, everything revolves around my dealer and his knowledge of Kubota tractors and his attention to my needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don’t use mine for a living, but like most on this site mine makes living a little easier. I battled getting routine jobs done with the old NAA as it just wasn’t made for what I was needing.

Its setup to handle everything I need and has more power than I will use as of now. As the poster will note, mine is 2WD but I’m on flat ground and front wheel assist would be one more thing to break that I don’t need. Sure I wish i had front aux hydro for the fel and a grapple, but that would be more of a novelty for me….the limbs I pick up, I’ve cut by hand so I just chunk em on trailer and burn them.

Like with any machine…you have to be routine in maintenance and that’s something I enjoy most of the time and tolerate the rest of the time. Weather kills…water and sun eventually returns things to the earth. I also keep all my equipment cleaned after each use, including my mowers etc…everything is inside and attachments are under cover. My tractor is a 2014, which is the newest machine I own.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
For what I do with growing hay, I don't REALLY need front wheel assist either, for me, the little I use it (maybe a couple times a year, mostly in the winter when plowing the road) not a necessity but it does increase the value of a machine so both mine have it. Come to think about it, I don't believe I've ever locked the differentials either. Both tractors have front and rear locking diff's, never used that feature. I do a lot of roading between fields and FWA on hard surfaces is a tire eater anyway.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
For what I do with growing hay, I don't REALLY need front wheel assist either, for me, the little I use it (maybe a couple times a year, mostly in the winter when plowing the road) not a necessity but it does increase the value of a machine so both mine have it. Come to think about it, I don't believe I've ever locked the differentials either. Both tractors have front and rear locking diff's, never used that feature. I do a lot of roading between fields and FWA on hard surfaces is a tire eater anyway.
Only time I’ve used rear diff lock was cleaning up hay spoils, which is slick as snot. Front assist would’ve been handy but not a necessity. Guess it’s all relative, as the old yanmar baby diesel would just spin the wheels when faced with wet resistance.
My brother has a 80hp JD and it has front assist and their toggle direction shift which is awesome. He’s in hill country which is a Texas mountain. Traversing the steep declines with a round bail would be impossible without front drive assist and is puckering as it is.

The hydro top link is also very much needed at his place, but is a luxury item on my flat terrain. Again, it’s a matter of knowing your uses and needs vs wants and wishes. Using an old 53 NAA and a 70s yanmar 25 hp with fel helped me know what my needs were…I ran the NAA for 18 years and selling it for 1500 more than i paid was an eye opener to value of used well maintained tractors. No often you get 18 years of service out of a piece of equipment and sell for a profit.

I took that lesson into purchase of my current used tractor….getting a well cared for and low hour 50+ hp kubota with fel for 14k was unbeatable for me as it was perfect for my needs. No aux hydro, manual gear shift (what I’m used to using) and 2wd got me hp I need without extras I don’t need was perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the Kubota. Everything will need service eventually and that's when you'll be glad you have a good dealer to fix the problem and take care of you. Re-sale is everything too. It will be very hard to convince anyone to buy a used LS or any other off brand unless you practically give it away. I have two Kubota's and have no issues, great service too.
Funny you say Kubota is a known brand and the service for them is poor too. Kubota is one of the biggest knock offs around. I have had 3 John Deere’s and they all have Yammer motors. It leaves me to believe the off brands are what you need if you not looking to resale or to work on.

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
Funny you say Kubota is a known brand and the service for them is poor too. Kubota is one of the biggest knock offs around. I have had 3 John Deere’s and they all have Yammer motors. It leaves me to believe the off brands are what you need if you not looking to resale or to work on.
It's a little difficult to claim Kubota as a knock-off brand, given that it's one of the oldest and most well known equipment manufacturers in the world (started in 1890). It designs and manufactures almost all its own engines, which can't be said for John Deere.

All in all, both brands make excellent tractors. Regardless of whether you're shopping for a premium brand or a so-called "knock-off", you're primary issues will most certainly be electronics or emissions related. All brands, now suffer from these scourges.

Reactions: pogobill
81 - 100 of 116 Posts