Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
[hello folks! I'm new to this forum, own a 1957 Case 411 LP Hi wide row crop w/ hi/low range. This is our family ranch tractor, and it is long overdue for repairs. We don’t intend to do a complete restoration, but keep tractor in working condition or replace. Needs work on brakes, clutch, PTO clutch, throttle and a few other minors. Cannot do work myself, regrettably, but trying to decide if the investment in repairs vs. replacement. Tractor meets all our needs @50 hp, only wish would be for a front end loader! Would appreciate the forum members weighing in on repair vs replace.

· Premium Member
12,092 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gene! You'll get much more usage out of tractor with a loader no doubt. As for your tractor, you already have a sense of the condition of the tractor as mentioned and getting into another used tractor means the likelihood of putting a rock in your shoe as you buy someone else's problems. If you're in a position where you can't do extensive work on a tractor, have you considered buying a new tractor on payments? You'll see many opinions to your situation here, but to help us advise you, what IS your budget threshold? This will help out s great deal.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum Gene! You'll get much more usage out of tractor with a loader no doubt. As for your tractor, you already have a sense of the condition of the tractor as mentioned and getting into another used tractor means the likelihood of putting a rock in your shoe as you buy someone else's problems. If you're in a position where you can't do extensive work on a tractor, have you considered buying a new tractor on payments? You'll see many opinions to your situation here, but to help us advise you, what IS your budget threshold? This will help out s great deal.
@Hoodoo Valley thanks for your interest in my post! Budget, well, I realize buying another used tractor would be like someone buying ours. She starts cold, starts warm, for all functionality, she works, but you can see & hear issues on the horizon! So my thought is why buy someone else's headaches in another used tractor? So to answer the budget ?, to buy new, and meet the needs of our ranch, $40k min. OR, I can put 10-15hrs @$125/hr plus parts (refurb where possible) then I feel like I can stay waaay under the cost of a new tractor. So lets put labor @20hrs x $125/hr =$2500 I'd expect parts to be 2x labor? $7500 total? to get a tractor we've been happy with for 20+ yrs and has a SOLID engine, and now brakes and a fully working clutch & PTO...seems logical, am I wrong? is my parts estimate wrong? is my labor hours wrong? here's my repairs list:
  • transmission clutch
  • brakes
  • throttle issues
  • PTO clutch
  • other minor repairs

Then there's the argument, could I sell/trade this "collector's" tractor "as-is" and invest that $7500 in a new-to-me tractor with same power, capabilities? idk if I would improve our situation...

your opinions are appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.