1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new lawn tractor

Discussion in 'General Lawn Garden Tractor Forum' started by marc_hanna, Feb 11, 2018.

1. marc_hanna

marc_hanna Registered User

Hi all,

I’ve just started researching lawn tractors. I’m looking for something for taking care of my income properties. The will need a mower deck and a snow blower.

I’m not committed to a new piece of equipment but I am predisposed to a diesel. So far, all I’m seeing for diesels is Kubota and JD. JD is about 50% more expensive than Kubota for a new piece.

Just looking for insight and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tractor Forum

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. RC Wells

RC Wells Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Points to consider:
    Lawn mower versus Lawn tractor versus Sub-compact tractor. Consumer lawn mowers and lawn tractors are just that, consumer products. Intended for the once or twice a week mowing of a lawn. Not for daily use. Sub-compact tractors are tractors designed for daily use, and built accordingly. John Deere has a buyer guide on their website that is helpful in sizing the consumer mowers.

Ease of blade and deck maintenance. Do not want to work yourself into a sweat pulling a deck out from under to clean and service. Look at the drive-on types that also include a quick connecting drive for the deck. Remember, it will be piled full of grass and dirt when it requires service. The winner here is the renters' dog chain or kids' jump rope wrapped around the center blade, has yet to happen in the shop or in the shade!

Attachment of snow blower. This alone can choke a horse. In the last six or so years all the diesel subcompact tractor manufacturers have touted the ease of attaching a snow blower. I notice all the ads show the attachment ease in a heated shop or in the summer sun. Mine are attached in snowy and windy weather, or something requires maintenance when it is plugged with snow and the kid toy or plastic bag left in the renter's driveway and the wind is blowing. Nice to be able to just head to a heated shop, but that never happens for me.

Snowblowers on lawn mowers should be reserved for the movies. My experience is that what worked in the days of heavy duty lawn and garden tractors just does not with the new lighter products. I have a JD X749, and it will not handle a snow blower in any practical sense. My Kubota BX2680 with the BX2816 snow blower does great. Both base tractors were essentially the same price, the Kubota is much newer and a compact tractor, not a lawn tractor.

Hydrostatic transmission. Kubota builds the best and most durable. The John Deere units seem to be holding up reasonably well. The Yanmar units are good also. Avoid the Tuff Torq and other belt driven units when using a snowblower.

Syncro-shift and power reverser transmissions. Great for lawns. Be prepared to replace one or both the clutches if they are used on a snowblower if the snow is more than a few inches deep. Stopping, reversing, starting requires full stops, reduction in engine speed, then throttling back up after they are moving. In the real world that does not happen, as they get stuck and put in reverse under throttle numerous times a day when blowing snow unless the operator is a Saint.

One other comment. Unless you have tiny feet avoid the John Deere HD Lawn tractors with the drive lock pedal on the left floorboard. The JD X749 has that and it is a foot tangler for me, but the wife really likes that mower.

My two cents.

3. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    I have to agree with RC Wells.
    Most of the snowblowers/blades for the average lawn/garden tractors are designed for the SUBURBS,or City areas,for occasional use,in snow not higher than 18"!
    Also, you'll notice,that snowblowers have adjustable skids...
    This is because they were never meant to scrape the ground,but to sit 1/2" above it,to reduce wear,and the possibility of debris being thrown !
    Most units,..even the heavier ones,won't cut through the wall of snow that the plows leave in the drive,although the ones with teeth on the augers,do better ,at it.
    Either way,they take a beating.
    Look for a good sub-compact,and remember,...you'll need chains,and weights,for snow/ice,and a good,heavy deck,for mowing !

4. marc_hanna

What do you guys think about about the Massey GC2300? It’s pretty small, but weighs almost 1,400lbs without implements. I haven’t seen any blowers for it yet. Also looking at a Kubota B1750.

My concern, even with the Kubota is size. Too big and it will be useless for mowing.

5. RC Wells

RC Wells Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    With either the Massey or the Kubota I would verify availability of parts.

I would also remove and reinstall the mower deck on both to determine degree of difficulty.

Both those units are approximately the same size and weight. Both would handle a three point snow blower like this one: http://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=23

Here is a MF with the Canadian built RadTech blower:

crawdaddy likes this.
  6. marc_hanna

Thanks for the info guys.

7. marc_hanna

Those Radtechs look nice. They seem to be a good price also. My local dealer just quoted me $6,300 for a new MF front mount blower.

8. wjjones

wjjones Moderator Staff Member

May 27, 2010
    I like the John deere 1023e it looks like a workhorse without the bulk. If you need to transport it around much that would be another factor to consider.