Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a seven horsepower model VH70 cast iron Tecumseh engine. for a john deere 70 if any one knows of one for sale let me know

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Don't they still make a VH70 motor? Or is it made to JD specs with something or other made special for them like the crank end etc?
I know I have seen H70 and V70 but what exactly is a HV 70. Usually on a Tec motor H means horizozntal and V means verticle...IIRC anyway!

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
jbetts,

V=Verticle, H=Horizontal, VH=Vertical and/or Horizontal....never mind...just a joke....

Still interested in pics.

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Greg
Did you look at the page James linked? There was indeed a VH60 and VH70. Maybe for vari-drive or variator? I didn't read the whole thing just enough to see that James knew what he was talking about.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
6er,

OK, dumb joke...with all the talk of flip flopping these days, the VH (vert/horz) just struck me funny.

Must have been the Okra I had tonight...:barf:

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Greg
I thought maybe you didn't see it on the page he linked and you were thinking along with chip. By the way, I would've guessed the same vertical/horizontal. Now if it was on a Kerry- Heinz 57 tractor and it had a vertical/horizontal engine that might be funny?:D

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 60 had a hi low opt but the 70 didn't l may just right JD and see what they say

·
Registered
69 Posts
jbetts is not flip-flopping, maybe just trying to be versatile while horizontal ;) :D :D

Actually, IIRC a VH70 is a vertical crank, heavy frame 7hp. I think besides being cast iron, the crank had a ball bearing on the output side.

waynl

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Possible good news!

I went to Small Engine Warehouse and was checking to see what they had in Tecumseh motors and found that they offer this as a replacement for the VH70. That's the good news...

The bad news is that this means your tractor won't have an original style motor in it, if it is collector value you are looking for. But it will run and cut grass. Please note they have disclaimer at the bottom of the page stating that some modification may be required. Here is a link:

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=John Deere&Model=70

And another:

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=John Deere&Model=55

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what l don't get it says it will fit a 55 56 57 but the 55 56 and 57 are bottem drive and the 70 is side and at 300+ us l think l will just restore it for now thanks joe for all the help

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by jbetts13
what l don't get it says it will fit a 55 56 57 but the 55 56 and 57 are bottem drive and the 70 is side and at 300+ us l think l will just restore it for now thanks joe for all the help
Thats because its a VH type it can be mounted both ways!:D Sorry just could not resist....

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Chip,
You ok? Sounds like your tickle bone got inflamed on this one.:D

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
James,
Have you found a VH70 Tec motor yet? I've not had much luck in finding one for you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
VH70 Motor

Well:

Hello all.

Let me say first of all I love the laughs I get here. The VH70 is a vertical shaft engine, Heavy frame. That is according to my PART STUPID....opps I mean PART SMART.

According to it there is no short block or replacement engine for this. It tells me to repair using parts.

If the orginal person would like a print out of this all i need is an email addy to send it to and also I need the rest of the engine numbers after the VH70-??????

Have a good day
Bob:homereat:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well my email is [email protected] but l don't know whats after vh70 because l don't have a motor but l did find a motor 200 to much for me but l found another 70 with a motor so the one with out a motor is going to be a parts tractor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts