Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to take the boat and trailer to the Carolinas and back, about 1400 miles and would like any input on what I may be in for with this small wheel and tire sizes. The trailer is 2 yrs and the tires have maybe 300 miles on them w/no weather checking. I,have just cleaned end repacked the w/bearings and installed new inner seals. It also has bearing buddies... Any advice what I should take w/me as in spare parts???

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You seem to have taken care of the main points of concern. You might want to bring a spare spindle & hub along with the spare tire. Do you have a jack that will work on the boat trailer? Other than that, sounds like you are all set to me. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I used to two a small trailer from NY, to Cape Cod every weekend. I had these tires on it, and never had a problem. About 300 miles each way

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ernie,
I agree with Chief. I read the first line of your post and started running down the list in my mind, but you addressed pretty much every item.

The only thing you might want to consider if you plan on doing lots of long distance driving with that trailer is to upgrade the hubs/axle. A good trailer manufacturing/ repair shop would have specifics but I do know there are different quality hubs available. Many times boat manufacturers will skimp on the trailers in order to keep the price down on their boat.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was wondering if I should get and pack a extra ;?set of bearings and a seal ?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ernieg
Thanks guys, I was wondering if I should get and pack a extra ;?set of bearings and a seal ?
They don't take up much room...wouldn't hurt to have them on hand. Just don't forget to take some tools with you.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I would definately take an extra set of bearings and tools required to change them. Those small wheels do an awfull lot of turning as compared to larger tire/wheel combos. And as previously stated, make sure the jack you have will work on the trailer. I see trailers left by the side of the interstate all the time.......either bearing / axle failures or shredded tires.........mostly yankees coming south to enjoy these nice warm waters and hot sunny days :furious:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I think if you are going to carry a spare; any entire spindle & hub assembly is the way to go. Usually if a wheel bearing goes bad enroute, you won't catch it until it is too late and more than likely spun on on the wheel spindle and or become stuck in my opinion. With the entire assembly on hand you can just change it out and worry about salvidging the old parts when you get home and have the time.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Bare in mind with the preventative measures you have already taken, you will most likey be just fine and not have any problems. If you have boat insurance with Boat US; they offer towing insurance and road side assistance in changing out a failure such as this. It is nice to be prepared for the worst and that is a good thing but I think you will be fine with what you have now. I made the above suggestion since you asked. Didn't mean for you to over do it. :D ;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info

Chimaker, I just got done packing the extra sets, thanks for the info

Chief. I wish I could go with the spindle assembly but the spindle is the axle assm. It kind of pisses me off that these trailers can have w/ the spindles turned on each end instead of individual spindle ends, cost is probably a big factor but it also makes repairing a rising cost to the consumer...Oh Well, guess we just lean into the wind and just do it.. Again Chief thank for the info on the boat ins. Making the call tomorrow, always just assumed that the auto ins. would cover all that, now I will see what I need to get befor the trip. Thanks again

:)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Have fun Ernie catch lots of fish and enjoy yourself.:eat:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Argee
What the hell am I? Chopped Liver?:lmao: :lmao:

Well well, the lost poster is back :D
As for being chopped liver:smoking: Still out on that one

PS Thanks argee:furious: :furious:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little thanks to everyone, the trip went flawlessly with out any worry at 65-70 mph. The hubs never got more than warm. Great trip and no bragging fish caught. Still the time away was refreshing.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Ernieg
A little thanks to everyone, the trip went flawlessly with out any worry at 65-70 mph. The hubs never got more than warm. Great trip and no bragging fish caught. Still the time away was refreshing.
Glad everything went good and you could tell us a good fish story anyways:lmao:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts