Long 460 lost clutch and brakes

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by warrington, Sep 30, 2013.

1. warrington

warrington New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Got a question
    Driving the tractor and the seeder caught a fence post. At that time I pushed down on the clutch and there was nothing, Pressed down on Brake, and there was nothing so pull shut off lever.

I can depress the clutch with my hand and it does not have brakes. Never had this problem before. I can start it in neutral and it runs fine. Press on clutch nothing, try to put it in gear and it grind.

Any idea what this might be

Tractor is a Long 460

2. warrington

warrington New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    is there a lever that allows you to disengage the PTO and the clutch. I know there is a clutch for the PTO that you can engage while you are driving. but wondering if there was one that would disengage the clutch for the gears

3. herdsman

herdsman New Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I'm not familiar with that tractor too much, but I think I out a clutch in one for a friend many years ago. If I remember correctly, the clutch release and brake mechanisms are external mechanical type, no hydraulics involved. If so, I would check for fence wire or something else else that has gotten caught in those mechanisms, i.e. between the clutch pedal and the throw out, and between the brake pedals and the brake mechanism at the wheels.