Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of good advice in these forums so decided to join! I bought a used JD970 with 278 hours. It was garage kept and looks brand new.

It came with a loader w/bucket and I promptly bought quick attach forks and added a ballast to the 3PT in the back after the back wheels came off the ground a few times.

The machine operates great with one minor flaw - the loader control is very hard to pull back. What I mean by that is the up/down tilt works very easily as does the letting the loader back down. Pulling it up however takes a lot of force and I find myself often locking my entire forearm around the control stick. When I do this, the loader lifts and has plenty of power however that leads to mistakes such as accidentally dumping the load when pulling back, etc.

I've detached and reconnected all the hydraulic lines, checked the fluid level - everything seems okay.

I've read extensively where aging hydro fluid can attract water, ruin seals and cause sticky components. I wonder, however if this is the case here since everything else works.

Could it simply be that the valve responsible for opening up and raising the loader arms is sticking or faulty? I've never owned an older model loader before and I imagine I should be able to operate that bucket using only the pressure from two fingers.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
1,174 Posts
It might help some if you could elaborate a bit on just what valve you're using to operate the loader. Is it the two spool factory type remote valve with the levers the tractor came with? Maybe it's a separate loader mounted valve? Is it a single lever type unit, or cable controlled? Cable units are notoriously problematic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts