Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a pic of our baby squirrel "Ivan" who rode out Ivan in the top of a huge oak at just a couple of days of age. Tree had major damage and I had to cut it down and Ivan was what I found when it hit the ground. His (her? and if female we'll still came her Ivan or maybe Ivana)

Ivans eyes and ears wewre still closed, and just fine hair was on him......now his ears and eyes are open., and he is full of pi$$ and vinegar. Still on the bottle, and will be for some time. He is starting to eat solid foods or at least chew on them. His favorite is cheerios.....Once you give him one, just don't give him the idea you are gonna take it back, as he will be all over your hand in a heart beat protecting his snack....Can't really hurt you and its kind of funny to see him, react like that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another closeup image of Ivan

In the first image that is his new momma holding him. You can tell by the look and expression on her face she is in her glory raising up yet another critter. I wish I was ivan sometimes or even one of our other critters as they get taken care of very well and have first priority so it seems.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Ivans about the size of the two chipmunks we have in the yard. I laid sunflower heads on the ground for the birds after pulling the stalks from the garden. The chipmunks have been very busy stripping all the seeds and packing them away.

How's the caterpillar doing? Still trying to change into a moth?

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by memmurphy
Ivans about the size of the two chipmunks we have in the yard. I laid sunflower heads on the ground for the birds after pulling the stalks from the garden. The chipmunks have been very busy stripping all the seeds and packing them away.

How's the caterpillar doing? Still trying to change into a moth?

Mark
Right now that caterpillar looks like a big old dried up doggie bomb...it shed its head and some other odds and ends, and turned into a big old cocoon........Its still laying in the bottom of a clay flower pot with screened cover in some leaves.....I also found another caterpillar about the same size, (just a bit smaller) but this one was smooth shiney green, no spines, just smooth skin. I also placed it in the same flower pot and it attached itself to the uppermost edge and spun a silk cocoon around itself.....So I have two cocoons of two huge caterpillars, and will just have to wait and see if I get a moth out of them later on...

We don't have the first chipmonk in these parts......If you want to see a chipmonk around here you have to go about 100 or so miles north where the land starts to get some elevation and ups and downs and rocks to it.......guess the land features here are too bland for a chippie to make his home!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little Ivan (the squirrel update)

Little old Ivan is a handfull now. We got him weaned and he is eating solid foods, goes through a lot of vanilla wafers, and various assorted nuts like crazy.......and has to try and eat anything he comes in contact with be it the door trim, counter top, mantle, table leg or what have you. We even bought him a small harness and leash,.........works pretty good, but trust me its a trip trying to walk around with a squirrel on a leash........and the wife is not taking any chances on him scooting up a tree when outside, so when outside he gets to wear his harness......Inside he has a lot of time (supervised by wife) to roam and explore but 9 out of 10 times he always winds up in her pocket getting a free ride wherever she goes in the house...We made him a nice large cage, andin it he has a hammock type shelter to sleep in, and tree limbs and a rope, which h e loves to lay on. he is also kind of fanatical abut a tennis ball and spends a lot of time roling around with it or trying to carry it up on the one tree limb i his cage or up the rope.........pretty darn comical to watch. But he is doing just fine and has it made!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
"he is doing just fine and has it made"

Just wondering if you have providing for his maturation into and beyond his adolescent period
:question: :question: :question:

Regardless, I'm sure he thinks (and so do I) your good people!!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Archdean
"he is doing just fine and has it made"

Just wondering if you have providing for his maturation into and beyond his adolescent period
:question: :question: :question:

Regardless, I'm sure he thinks (and so do I) your good people!!
Well we rasied up a few others before, and we kept one as a pet for over 7 years....without a problem, a nice large male. He used to go outside rummage through the trees do his squirrel thing and always wind up back at the window or door or come up to you if you went outside later on wanting to go in his nest box and set on your shoulder or head and watch TV.....We tried and tried to let him get back into the wild side, but he was a home boy and never left. He died after a fall from a tree..........yep squirrels do fall occasionally. He jumped from one limb to another, as we came oput the door in his ever familiar run and jump to be with his adopted family, and the limb broke that he landed on, and he fell better than 25 feet breaking his shoulder very bad.......nothing the vet could do for him so we had to put him down....however his brother which we also raised up at the same time with all the same care lost nbo time in gettiong back to his natural suroundings, and after one or two trips outside never returned.......caught by a predator or still out there alive is anyones guess. You canpretty well tell after a period of time if they like where there at or if the wild instinct is gonna kick in and they go off on their own, or remain. Any wild orphaned critter we have ever raised up was never prevented from leaving if thats what it had or wanted to do, but we try and enjoy themn for as long as we can without interfering with momma nature unnecessarily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts