Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
What is the Likelihood of cracked engine block when having only pure water in the cooler? Is there some room in engine for the water to expand when freezing?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
QUESTION: "What is the Likelihood of cracked engine block when having only pure water in the cooler?"

ANSWER: If the freeze plugs fail to pop out and relieve the freeze pressure, probably very good chance the block will be cracked.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
92 degree is MS, USA last week... Did get clear down into the high 70's at night. Not exactly block cracking weather yet;)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi!
What is the Likelihood of cracked engine block when having only pure water in the cooler? Is there some room in engine for the water to expand when freezing?
are you talking about a tractor that has been sitting thru last winter?…or do ya live in Arctic circle? It will not crack block unless it’s in freezing tempts. The issue running straight water in summer months isn’t cracked block…it’s corrosion, which leads to clogged water jackets and overheating.

as stated…pennies of prevention saves hundreds or thousands. I’m in the south and everything water cooled is filled with fresh antifreeze…I even add it to boat engine block for winter storage. It usually doesn’t freeze here, but you never know…..this year we had freak freeze that was in low teens for days…was glad I had all prepped up until all my house pipes blew apart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I dont know the tractors history and this winter we had 14 days with sudden freezing temps. 4-5 C. The water in cooler is yellow but it freezes.
Havent thought of corrossion. Looks like there is some anti corossion additive in the coolant liquid you buy.

For the future for this engine and any other I am thinking of just leaving it drained during winter time. Im only using the tractor a few times a year from spring to fall.
Will an empty tank corrode more than aone filled with coolant?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes. I dont know the tractors history and this winter we had 14 days with sudden freezing temps. 4-5 C. The water in cooler is yellow but it freezes.
Havent thought of corrossion. Looks like there is some anti corossion additive in the coolant liquid you buy.

For the future for this engine and any other I am thinking of just leaving it drained during winter time. Im only using the tractor a few times a year from spring to fall.
Will an empty tank corrode more than aone filled with coolant?
yea it will corrode…you can’t evacuate all the water and moisture + air = corrosion. Just fill it with good antifreeze and your set.

I even do this with my boat and it’s an opened cooling system. I drain all water I can from block, manifolds, pumps and hoses then fill it all up with RV antifreeze. The tractor is much simpler…just like a car. Drain old water out and flush it best as possible…then fill it with premix antifreeze, let it circulate and top it off and put cap on.

am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not me. Tractors get conventional (green) AF and the cars get extended life (Global AF which is orange). Wife's Burb gets Dexcool and Green and orange don't mix well. Turns to goo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not me. Tractors get conventional (green) AF and the cars get extended life (Global AF which is orange). Wife's Burb gets Dexcool and Green and orange don't mix well. Turns to goo.

50/50 mix as in a diluted mixture of what ever type is called for for the type of equipment not a 50/50 mix of different types of coolant.... If you are running 100% non diluted of any type of coolant then you will have issues. When coolant gets too concentrated, it “gells up” and turns to a jello like substance. this plugs cooling passages and can cause engine overheating and blown headgaskets/other issues. Dionized or distilled water works great for the 50/50 mix or you can buy the premixed 50/50 in a jug.....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you are running 100% non diluted of any type of coolant then you will have issues. When coolant gets too concentrated, it “gells up” and turns to a jello like substance.
Not correct....
Only if you mix different types, example extended life and conventional green. Concentration has nothing to do with 'jelling up' and everything to do with heat transfer. Straight AF will not transfer heat as efficiently as a 50-50 mix. Water is still the best heat transfer medium but it freezes. You could actually fill the cooling system with diesel and it would work, just not efficiently transfer heat. Many modern motorcycle engines use crankcase oil as coolant.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not correct....
Only if you mix different types, example extended life and conventional green. Concentration has nothing to do with 'jelling up' and everything to do with heat transfer. Straight AF will not transfer heat as efficiently as a 50-50 mix. Water is still the best heat transfer medium but it freezes. You could actually fill the cooling system with diesel and it would work, just not efficiently transfer heat. Many modern motorcycle engines use crankcase oil as coolant.

Once again, I am not going to argue with you......I have had 100% straight extended life jell up and I have a friend that is a rep for a major brand of engine coolant so I asked him to check with his lab folks and they confirmed that it will jell up if it is full strength......And yes, it also does cool better.
By the way, when I post something on here it is not just something I have heard it is either something that I have experienced for myself or someone that I have learned to trust has...I realize that you have a few years on me and maybe a bit more knowledge but I don't comment on a post unless I know what the hell I am talking about....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Better yet, care to substantiate your claim with a valid link? If not, I'd say it's phooey. How about it?

A valid link for what? What I said was from personal experience not from something I read on the internet so I have no idea what you are talking about with the valid link comment.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Better yet, care to substantiate your claim with a valid link? If not, I'd say it's phooey. How about it?
Do these links qualify for unsquidly's statement that I also agree with?? Simple test is pour some 100% antifreeze in a container & place container in your deep freeze for a few hours

·
Registered
596 Posts
I’ve relied on manufacture specs for coolant….none report to use straight AF…the type of antifreeze varies and I comply with specs. I always assumed they knew best and figured it depended on the type of metals used in the engine and cooling system…cast and copper or stainless etc.

Before the premix AF we used to use the antifreeze gage to determine if more water or AF was needed in the system. I’ve never heard of this being a point of contention honestly.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I’ve relied on manufacture specs for coolant….none report to use straight AF…the type of antifreeze varies and I comply with specs. I always assumed they knew best and figured it depended on the type of metals used in the engine and cooling system…cast and copper or stainless etc.

Before the premix AF we used to use the antifreeze gage to determine if more water or AF was needed in the system. I’ve never heard of this being a point of contention honestly.
Exactly.

What I have learned is that you can get jelly if you put ethylene glycol into a system that already has propylene glycol in it, or vice versa. The manufacturers use to inform about this on the container labels and documentation.

I see now that Amsoil has a propylene type that can be mixed with ethylene glycol.

The colour of the anti-freeze is not to be trusted, read the text on the jug and act accordingly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts