Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Ford 4000 and is a CAT I/II. The Lift arms that came with the tractor seem like they are original and are rated CAT I/II with easy connect slide ends. But some one had a idea they should be welded and now they no slide and no easy connect to attachments.

If you ever had to connect a CAT 2 implement you know the importance of easy connect. I have a hard time twisting my head backwards or even looking over my shoulders and even though my kids think i have eyes in the back of my head I don't, so when i back up I make it count.
Has any one ever grind PIC-0524.jpg PIC-0525.jpg
PIC-0525.jpg
PIC-0528.jpg
PIC-0529.jpg
PIC-0529.jpg
a weld off and repaired something like this?
Has anyone ever worked on this kind of arm before?
All help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
You have the optional extendible lower arms (not listed in 4000 parts list, but found in the 5000 through 7000 series parts lists). I would not attempt to grind the welds, but would scare up replacements. The upper latches are missing, and no longer available from New Holland.

I would expect to find the complete arms in a salvage yard for a reasonable price.

The Ford 5600-7700 series extendible lower arms will fit with the use of the larger link support pins for the same series. They have vastly improved latch mechanisms, and are still available from New Holland for the newer New Holland tractors. You may need to walk the parts guy out to look at the new tractors to find the part, as they do not cross reference parts between lines anymore.

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the optional extendible lower arms (not listed in 4000 parts list, but found in the 5000 through 7000 series parts lists). I would not attempt to grind the welds, but would scare up replacements. The upper latches are missing, and no longer available from New Holland.

I would expect to find the complete arms in a salvage yard for a reasonable price.

The Ford 5600-7700 series extendible lower arms will fit with the use of the larger link support pins for the same series. They have vastly improved latch mechanisms, and are still available from New Holland for the newer New Holland tractors. You may need to walk the parts guy out to look at the new tractors to find the part, as they do not cross reference parts between lines anymore.
thanks, online they go for around 300 each and that is waaaay out of my range. I cant find a salvage yard around here that has anything older then a 1995 vehicle,it used to be you could just walk into a junk yard and get your parts, pay for them and go on your way. not now. you cant even walk past the office, let alone pick up a odd thing you see laying around that looks interesting and want it for a conversation starter.
I miss the old days.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
I'm sure it'd be a real work out, but I'd attempt cutting the welds out with a skinny wheel on a grinder. if you were really careful, it could be done.

Reactions: FredM

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure it'd be a real work out, but I'd attempt cutting the welds out with a skinny wheel on a grinder. if you were really careful, it could be done.
If I were able to cut it out, then I would need the parts to repair them and I assume that was why they welded it together?

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
If I were able to cut it out, then I would need the parts to repair them and I assume that was why they welded it together?
Possibly. I was operating on the assumption that people sometimes do stupid things. I see it all the time. I was just meaning that I could cut out those welds in under an hour, so about a half hour on one arm to see if they could be separated and salvaged. It seemed to me the cheapest way to go if they could be salvaged but there is also the possibility that something is broke and would need replacing. At least the arms could be reused is what I was thinking. I've chopped out so many welds so this would be a walk in the park for me! :D

Reactions: FredM

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
before you start cutting, you will need to remove both cover retaining plates on each arm and check the cutout section in the movable arms where the lock pins drop into to make sure that these are still serviceable. you could then make the 2 lock pins out of grade 8 by 25.4 mm bolts and these pins are 151.75 mm long, I am not sure if this is overall length, you would have to sort that out, the top drawing of the pin is what you would be looking at, the bottom section is for dia. only

pin.jpeg

I think you may get away with grinding two flats 180° apart on each pin deep enough to enable the top holding plate to stop the pin from coming out, again this will be up to you being on the ground.

I have attached a parts site showing the lower lift links for the ford 5000, you will get an idea from the drawings of what you are dealing with.

http://www.messicks.com/nh/52013?sectionId=20609&diagramId=52013_323313

If you are happy with what you see, go for it.

Attachments

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
before you start cutting, you will need to remove both cover retaining plates on each arm and check the cutout section in the movable arms where the lock pins drop into to make sure that these are still serviceable. you could then make the 2 lock pins out of grade 8 by 25.4 mm bolts and these pins are 151.75 mm long, I am not sure if this is overall length, you would have to sort that out, the top drawing of the pin is what you would be looking at, the bottom section is for dia. only

View attachment 37655
I think you may get away with grinding two flats 180° apart on each pin deep enough to enable the top holding plate to stop the pin from coming out, again this will be up to you being on the ground.

I have attached a parts site showing the lower lift links for the ford 5000, you will get an idea from the drawings of what you are dealing with.

http://www.messicks.com/nh/52013?sectionId=20609&diagramId=52013_323313

If you are happy with what you see, go for it.
I'll check on part cost and might go for it. if it dont work i can re-weld right,lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts