Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i trying to take my starter out of my leyland 262 tractor

i have spent several hours trying to get loose the bolt under the starter and the one by the solinode... no socket fits on it nor a wrench.. how the heck you supposed to remove it
'i have a service manual but it doesnt seem to have how to remove starter in it.. so i getting frustrated

anyone know how to do it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think so.. so i got the top one off i had to get a stubby and had to use the open end side.. you couldnt use the close side.. its like you gotta grind down a starter

for the bottom bolt i cant get in that socket wont get in there .. i think its shorter distance..probably the loader has to be unbolted and the plate removed.. but here some pics

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Pipeline transport Gas Auto part Bumper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i tried with a universal but its like i gotta cut it in half the socket.. like what crap... i think cars trucks tractors.. they design them drinking cuz u can never get anything apart without cursing all day long lol
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Office supplies Metal Nickel Rim

Office supplies Tints and shades Electric blue Metal Rim

Hood Office supplies Tints and shades Automotive exterior Wood

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like you would have to back it off a little at a time and work the starter out as you go, crappy design for sure, maybe have to cut a wrench , possibly cut a gap in a boxed end wrench

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
You need what we call a crows foot spanner, these come in 1/2" drive size so you can use a long extension and ratchet.

Tool Font Gas Auto part Plastic

And seeing that stud is hard to remove, I would consider replacing it with a Cap head set screw of the correct thread and pitch which would be most likely UNC in its place, can't do much with the top stud, needs to be a screw on nut to hold the starter when refitting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok ill try the crow foot

i did try a thin wall it doesnt work.. was going to cut a socket like a o2 sensor socket where its missing part ... i dunno its a pain in the butt.. i do like the tractor if you need to change the clutch.. you dont need to split the it.. you can lift off the housing and the clutch right there.. but rest is a pain in the butt

il was going to try to cut the socket. and using the swival.. ill try them all its sucks lol

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time I have modified a spanner or socket, if you have a welder and a grinder with a cut off wheel, then you are made, if you have an old socket, ring or open ender and a long 1/2" extension, then modify it, when finished, use the cut off wheel to separate if you need the extension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need what we call a crows foot spanner, these come in 1/2" drive size so you can use a long extension and ratchet.

View attachment 83496
And seeing that stud is hard to remove, I would consider replacing it with a Cap head set screw of the correct thread and pitch which would be most likely UNC in its place, can't do much with the top stud, needs to be a screw on nut to hold the starter when refitting.
It looks like the crows foot should work. They come in 3/8 drive also. Be sure you have a "wobble end" extension. Good luck. I've found over the years, a good cussin can go a long ways and get a lot done. lmao :cool: OT

·
Registered
2 Posts
YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO BEAT A 12MM SOCKET ON IT BECAUSE OF IT BEING STRIPPED IF NOT THE CROWS FOOT IS YOUR ONLY CHANCE. ANYHOW WHATEVER SIZE THE OTHER 2 BOLTS ARE, IS THE SIZE YOU WILL NEED TO PUT ON EXTENSION AND HAMMER IT ON

·
Registered
166 Posts
Snap on, mac, matco and others make special wrench for starters and injection pumps probably other applications Some are bent in a U shape, some are bent in other shapes to get around "corners" and other obstructions. They can be used when other wrenches and sockets won't work .Working as a mechanic I have even used Harry Hotwrench to make special wrenches for special purposes, even if it is only used once it saves time and mental health.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It has been many years since I worked in a dealership that sold Leyland Tractors, but do not remember the starter bolts being that hard to remove. Most of the bolts are metric if my memory serves me correct. From the pictures it looks like you may have a loader frame getting in the way making it harder to get to, with a correct size swivel socket, it looks like you still should be able to reach it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts