Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tractor Damager
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My lovely Leyland 262 is turning out to be anything but... I've found that the radiator bottom hose has split (let's not think about how long it's been running with no coolant in it...), so I've had a go at removing it to fit a replacement:

262_bottom_hose.jpg

...the clearance between the radiator and the water-pump is absolutely zero, so I can't get the old hose out, let alone come up with a way to get the new one back in!

The only solution I can come up with is to unbolt the bottom of the radiator frame (the top is fixed to the fuel-tank) and lever it forward to give me more space to work with...but unbolting the radiator to change a hose...seriously?

I'd be very grateful if anybody with more experience/knowledge/intelligence than me can suggest a better way of doing this - the picture shows the results of half an hour with a screwdriver, so it's definitely not just "easing" out that way...

Thanks very much for any suggestions :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take the clamps off and cut it length wise with a utility knife. Not sure how to get the new one on, but it will be softer than the old one.

·
Tractor Damager
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm - OK, that seems sensible - thanks for that...I'll give it a go before I start disassembling anything!

·
Tractor Damager
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's always annoying when people don't follow up on things, so here's my new bottom hose, finally fitted:
IMG_20210509_100318882.jpg

I came very close to unbolting the radiator! The best way to get the hose on is to feed it under the radiator from the front, behind the air-filter housing, onto the water-pump inlet, then "manipulate" it onto the radiator outlet.

The bottom hose is meant to be 100mm long - there's no way it'll fit at that length - I kept mine in boiling water to soften it and covered both pipes in washing up liquid, but still not a chance. The gap between the outlet and the inlet is about 40mm, so I cut the hose down to 80mm and that was just short enough to jam it up the water-pump inlet enough to clear the radiator outlet, then slide it back onto it.

Anyway, getting the clips on is then quite easy and I was very happy not to find any holes in the radiator when I refilled the system with coolant...every cloud, and all that :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts