Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

So I'm brand new here, I was actually referred over here by a homesteader on the backyardchickens forums. I'm completely new at the whole tractor business, the only tractors I've ever had/used are riding mowers, right now we have a Cub Cadet after our Toro Zero-Turn decided to die on us. But we're looking to expand and actually get a legitimate farm with a barn and at least 5 acres so I've decided it's time to start looking at tractors.

I haven't gone to any dealers yet because I honestly am super confused just by the websites. I know I need a utility tractor and I shouldn't need anything huge, however after that it's all greek to me.

Here's the list of chores, etc. that I know I can use it for now (with only 3 acres).
  • Hauling feed back and forth (So going to need a front loader)
  • Digging, both general purpose and for fence posts (So possibly a backhoe? And a post hole attachment??)
  • Bush hogging/Gang mowing (There's bunches of brush and thorns that I can't get with the regular mower)
  • Clearing garden beds (Tilling maybe??? I'm honestly just putting this in the same group as the bush hogging).
That's just what I can use it for now with just poultry in my backyard. When we get the bigger place I'm hoping to have horses, pigs, and mini-cattle so there's going to be a lot of feed and hay and manure getting moved around. Obviously I'm going to need a front loader. But I'm not sure about how much HP I'm gonna need. I've been looking at John Deere, but honestly at this point I'm trying not to break the bank/have a heart attack while looking. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to speak up!

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you! Easiest way I can tell you is to figure how much weight you need to lift, and this will give you a good idea on tractor size in terms of loader specs. I.E if you're packing 2,000 pounds, you'll need something around 40 to 45 HP. Next, you need to hit tractor dealers and try them out. Web sites, literature, opinions and all are no measure to you yourself trying out machines.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Welcome to TF.
" you need to hit tractor dealers and try them out" that's about the best advice!!!
I wouldn't go less than 30hp.
Do you plan on snow removal,do you like shift transmission or HST,cab or no cab,take your time doing your home work for its investment you bones and muscles will be thank you in years to come.
....Have the tractor come to you,by this I mean you being comfortable while operating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts