Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Old circa 1860 log barn on our family homestead is leaning really bad. Most of the logs are
in very good shape except for one on the leaning side bottom. The foundation is stacked flat sandstones taken from nearby creek. The hillside slopes off to the good side while the leaning side seems to be sunk into the ground. Any ideas as to how to straighten the barn and put a firm foundation under it? The roof was added much much later but the log portion is original made without nails.
Plant Nature Natural landscape Tree Wood
Plant Leaf Natural landscape Tree Wood
Property Plant Ecoregion Natural environment Natural landscape

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Howdy Trimm_Homestead, Thank you for sharing these photos.

If I were going to jack it up, I would build an internal frame, well attached to the logs with screws, to hold it together so it doesn't collapse while jacking.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I'd be inclined in getting an opinion and estimate from a professional house mover, because they have a lot of experience and specialty tools they can use. Since no one can really know the condition of the bottom log(s) on the sunken side, jacking it up at one point, or even two or three points might crunch the log and possibly the ones above it. My first thought was using air bags to spread the stress loads over a much wider area than just using a jack. Once it is up in the air and straight, a proper foundation can be put under it.

·
Registered
325 Posts

If I were going to jack it up, I would build an internal frame, well attached to the logs with screws, to hold it together so it doesn't collapse while jacking.

I would do the above then probably dig down to see what the condition of the logs under ground were. If they were not rotted very much I would probably run a decent sized cable under all 4 corners and raise the whole shed up with a Bloomfield jack attached to each corner cable....Then once it was high enough to get bottle jacks under it I would use them on each corner, block the whole shed up and work on the foundation and any lower logs that needed to be replaced....I would just go very slowly with jacking it up....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Good advise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would do the above then probably dig down to see what the condition of the logs under ground were. If they were not rotted very much I would probably run a decent sized cable under all 4 corners and raise the whole shed up with a Bloomfield jack attached to each corner cable....Then once it was high enough to get bottle jacks under it I would use them on each corner, block the whole shed up and work on the foundation and any lower logs that needed to be replaced....I would just go very slowly with jacking it up....
Hadn't thought of the cable angle. May be worth a try.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It doesn't seem to be that large (20'x10')? guessing. If you have a level area to relocate it, I'd consider that. That size I'm thinking disassembly then reassemble at new site after lots of pictures and numbering each log.
I'm not a contractor but I'm thinking it would fall apart trying to move it otherwise.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would consider working on lowering the other side to get it level. Once level and braced then you could dig out all around and secure foundation rocks then create area for water run off from slope to be diverted

·
Registered
325 Posts
How ever you decide to move it, take plenty of pictures and update us on here.......I am curious to see which way you pick and how it works out for you........I have moved a few structures over the years but none were this style of log building with no nails or chinking between the logs.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts