Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is time for me to get off my butt and put up the lattice around my shed. My question is recommendations on attaching. Around the top, it is easy, the bottom is the question.

I could go the lazy route and buy landscaping timbers, put a 12 inch spike through it and attach the lattice. I could just throw the timbers on the ground, but that just doesn't seem right. It's not like the lattice is going to move or take any load. I though about hammering in wood stakes... one at each end, and one in the middle and then attaching to it, but I think that is out. I keep ending back at landscaping timbers, with a spike to hold it in place.

So the question is, what should I attach the bottom part of the lattice too?

Shed 12 X 20

one side of shed is 2 inch off the ground going towards back which is 12 inches off the ground.

other side is 3 feet going to 4 feet.

Yup, really, yes, this is sitting on the side of a hill. Sounds worse than it actually is.

·
Registered
336 Posts
A suggestion...

Try framing in the lower end with 2x4 (or 2x2), then connect that framework to the ground with stakes or spikes. The lattice would be connected to top and bottom frames. I did that many times back in my "Professional" days, and it seemed to work out pretty well....

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
tisenberg
They sell a 2x2 with a groove in it made just for lattice. Frame the lattice with the XS and then connect it to the shed.
Jody:usa:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Speaking of lattice, I had a lattice salad for lunch today...:smiles:

Tisenberg, Jody is telling you right, they make a slotted piece for that purpose. Not only that, it's plastic and comes in two colors, white or treated lumber green.:whistle:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but I am talking about the piece that is going to be touching the ground. Probably do some size wood with spikes.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by tisenberg
Yes, but I am talking about the piece that is going to be touching the ground. Probably do some size wood with spikes.
All the more reason to use plastic. Doesn't rot or absorb water and get soft. No honest waterbug would want to call it home. :(

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
tisenberg

Looking at the pictures of your shed you couldn't run a 2x4 from post to post at ground level and nail or screw the lattice to the 2x4. Even though theirs nothing level about the ground:smiles:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Ok

The only other thing i can think of is take the 2x2s that have the groove for lattice and drill holes though them. Then take some small re-bar or long nail and nail it to the ground to hold it. Then cut the lattice to the right angle and install it in the groove in the 2x2s and nail it up top.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Did you

tisenberg
Did you get your lattice up or started putting it up yet:question:
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crap... someone remembered. Nope, found other things to take my attention. I really need to do it even more now that it is public that I am avoiding the project. Heck, I even went and bought a snow plow on Friday and put it together to avoid the lattice job

:wow:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Now if it is only about 1 foot at it's tallest, do you realy need to fasten it at the bottom?? I would think just the top would be fine. On my shed I was planning much the same thing. I was going to picture frame the lattice, and just fasten it at the top, and the sides where it met.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would do it just like how Jodyand recommended. That is how we did our porches on our house and it really does dress it up quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still avoiding the lattice... it's raining

I think I will attach at the top and corners. I will probably do a lawn timber at the bottom on the highsides and nothing on the low side since it is less than a foot on the one side. My to-do list gets added to daily/weekly and the lattice keep dropping down in the list.

For instance, Thursday night. Disconnect and clear a room out to get ready for carpet on Friday. Saturday, completely take apart a couch and loveseat that are recliners (lazyboy... or should it be crappyboy) so the seats can be re-apolstered (sp?).

- got some painting to do. (or should I say avoid)
-need to put in the shower doors I bought two weeks ago.
- still need to move one of the junction stations for the sprinkler system.
- need to replace some bad parts on the grill
- mow.. mostly pickup leaves.
- blow the leaves out of the play area

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I feel your pain! Sounds like a normal weekend at my house. Last weekend, I was planning on raking and reseeding the area of our lawn that was destroyed by the construction equipment when we built our addition. Instead, my brother in law outside Boston called me to help him figure out how to put together his "Piece of Crap" shed. Saturday morning we had that finished, but it pretty much shot the day. Sunday, I mowed the lawn and moved firewood as it was freezing out and my wife wanted a fire in both the fireplaces.

Needless to say, nothing ever gets done that I want to gets done. I'm hoping I can get my workshop wired before christmas so I can get some woodworking in soon.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
tisenberg
You going to get that lattice up this weekend:smiles: Want to see pictures Monday with the lattice up :hello:
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn... I should delete this thread. You guys/gals are worst than my wife :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay. I can honetly say that I will *think* about it this weekend. :D :D :D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by tisenberg
Damn... I should delete this thread. You guys/gals are worst than my wife :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay. I can honetly say that I will *think* about it this weekend. :D :D :D

Dont* think* DO:hide:
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jody --> Hmmm, that sound interesting... I'll have to think about that.

Sound like the discussion I had with my 9 year old last night helping her write a sentence for homework. I was trying to tell her to not use the word "it". I said...

"Don't use the word it, use the word for it that it is instead of it, that way people will now what it is." She got a good laugh out of that one and actually understood what I was saying :D

1 - 20 of 98 Posts