Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had gone to sleep around 2:30 A.M. when I was awaken around 4:00 A.M. by a loud commotion outside and I heard the horses making a lot of noise in the pasture. I got up and went out the back door with my 22 rifle and saw a large dog chasing the horses.

I had to lay in wait for a good 30 minutes and then the opportunity presented it self to get one shot in. I made the shot and killed the dog. I tagged him in the head and dropped him right there. I called animal control and the sheriff out as soon as I made the shot and informed them of what had happened.

Later after the animal control officer arrived I found out from a nieghbor down the road that I had just killed his dog. He was not upset but he was after the dog himself when he heard me shot the dog as it had killed one of his sheep no more then a hour before.

I am feeling really low about killing a dog but this dog had tasted blood and wanted more. To bad I killed it but he had really tormented the horses and he would not stop chasing them. I informed my wife and she was a little upset but there is not much you can do once blood is involved with a dog.

Since this is a rural area and protection of the farm animals is a given and shotting the dog was the only thing I could do. I took care of it.

This morning after I got back up I ended up at the other guys house whos dog I killed to dig a hole for the sheep and burying it. The Kubota I got, I am going to have to get some digging teeth for the front end loader. I was able to dig the pit but it was kind of slow.

The neighbor has been always nice to me and we discussed what happened and he was not upset and he said if he was in my shoes he would have done the same thing.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have put that in the orginal post, the neighbor said the dog like to chase the sheep pretty hard and it got loose from his kennel last night and was out and about and got to taste some blood and thats all it took. The dog was up to date on its shots so I am thinking that it just got to excited and couldn't stop.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
It's a tough call, Michael, but you did the right thing. It could have gotten out of hand with the dog killing who knows what every night. Don't beat yourself up over it...it couldn't have been helped.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Greg I know. The dog was a real easy going type and who would of thought he would go out and kill (he was a large golden retreiver). I could not help but to protect the horses at the time and the horses do not belong to me as it is another neighbors horses who are pastured on my property. I had to protect the horses. I did make sure that the horses were not hurt and they are not, but the dog suffers for some folks not making sure the dogs are kept either inside or in their kennels at night.

I have always like dogs and even have 2 of my own but my 2 are always inside with me and my wife or in the kennel run or on leash with me. I also always walk my dogs 2-4 times a day to keep their minds busy and never off leash even though there is no leash law here. My male springer-brittany does like to run and he will run laps around our house for a good 30 minites when he gets loose. He has never chased the horses as he knows I will take away something he holds dear to him (His rope toy).

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
First the horses then what's next, someone's child? The dog may have had an additional medical problem that made him act that way. Stroke, tumor or something that could result in a more aggressive personality. You done what you had to do and your lucky to have a good neighbor that understands that also. I think you may have done what your neighbor was afraid he was going to have to do.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I'm not blaming you at all, but horses can take care of themselves
for the most part. If its not a pack of dogs then the odds are in the horses favor. My neighbors dog literally lost its head when at the time my familys horse kick it square in the head.....I handed the carcass back to the neighbor, and told him to bury it himself in his yard....Dont worry he did the same to me when my dog drowned in his pool.....wild stuff....makes for great neighbors :furious:

I forgot it was a full size dog...:D

Ducati

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't worry a thing about that kill....Once a dog like that gets the taste, it may just continue killing for the sport. On our farm as a kid we frequently had trouble with packs of truly wild dogs but also had pairs of neighboring farm dogs come after our sheep and even baby pigs in the days before confinement farrowing, etc.

The rule was - give a lone dog with a collar who comes by a chance to leave (shoot near him) the 1st time. If it comes again, lay the rifle on a fence post and shoot to kill. Dogs with no collar went immediately to option 2!

I also well remember my dad taking me in the '52-1/2 Chevy pickup to follow a nice pair of labs to a farm about 3 miles away. The farmer met us at the drive saying he knew why were there and that the dogs were tied up behind the barn. He went into the house while my dad shot the dogs - still with wool in their teeth. Then I helped bury them right there. The owner came out and helped. We had lost 3 ewes and 5 lambs that night....the county paid a small indemnity for the loss, nothing close to the value.

Sure wish I had that old green truck (windows in corner of the cab)....

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You did what needed to be done. I'd have done the same thing, and felt bad about it too, but the horses are your responcibility, the dog was the neighbor's responcibility.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I know what your feeling and I myself hate pulling a trigger on a dog myself but you did what was right and what had to be done. While a horse may be capable of taking care of itself, its not uncommon in the process to get a big vet bill fromn a horse running though a fence etc either. It seems to me you have a neighbor who has a straight and level head on his shoulders and accepted the end results for what happened, unlike a lot who are quick to haul your butt to court. Accidents happen, and in most cases its always the dog that pays, but its just a fact of life sometimes.........No matter how good a dog has always been, you just can't always take a chance.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chipmaker, The law that is written in my state protects the farmer, acreage owner when dogs become wild and are attempting to attack livestock, I knew this going in and did what I had to do. This law was written just for this case to prevent having farmers and acreage owners from being sued. The area I live in is rural and I would not have it any other way. I just wish that folks would take care of their dogs as I do. The dog wants to be with his humans but these folks think nothing of leaving the dogs outside in all sorts of weather and the dog gets bored and runs amok.
The horses owner today had the vet out to check on the horses and he found no wounds on the horses, so they came out fine except they are a little nervious are me. At least the horses know who will protect them but they did see me drop the dog.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Michael,

You did the right thing...Don't beat yourself up over it...it's the way things are done in the country....dogs are great pets, but when they start chasing and killing other animals or biting children, thens it's time for lead poisoning....

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Today the test results (1st series of test) on the dog are back and it showed nothing. Everything on the dog was healthy but for the shot to the brain. No tumors or known diease just a dog that went bad. I'm not so bothered today as there was noting I would have changed, The deputy had a comment to me about being a good shot and when I showed my 22 rifle, He was even more amazed I made the shot I did and used only one shot. Seems the deputy has not seen a 22 caliber single shot bolt action in a good 15 years. The deputy asked how many years I have own the rifle and I responded I had the rifle for the past 30 years since my father gave it to me when I was 16. It is a old Winchester and they haven't produced one since the early 1950's, I kept the rifle orginal and in good shape except I had to replace the stock 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
The law in Alabama that gives the nod to taking out a dog or any other animal legally is very simple......

It is illegal to own or posess any animal which causes livestock to worry.......it states nothing about having to give it a second or third chance......so if any animal is causing your livestock to worry you have the legal right to dispose of it....

It also has a section in it dated 1871...that ..It is against the law to own a chicken eating hog! You can be fined up to $5.00 for having a hog that kills chickens if your caught......old law, but still on the books.

And also:
It is illegal to have a cow that destroys crops! Owner of cow is liable for up to 2 times the value of destroyed crops. Dated 1869.

A chicken eating hog...........that one is crazy........I think any hog alive given an opportunity to eat a chicken is going to do just that.........

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
A chicken eating hog...........that one is crazy........I think any hog alive given an opportunity to eat a chicken is going to do just that.........
That is a guarantee....Regretfully the chickens are stupid enough to go into the pen with them.:wow:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You did what needed to be done Michael. I shot a black lab that was wild and living in an abandoned school bus last year. I felt bad about it at first but knowing that it was mean and would bite as well as having attacked my dog twice; I new I did the right thing. I could not risk one of the kids being attacked or bitten or my dog being attacked again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts