Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been thinking and I decided to get a laptop so i could keep up with this site in the summer when i go to my grandparents house. What are some good brands? models? I want to be able to have wireless internet on it so i dont have to plug it into nothing except power cord. Thanls:D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Laptop: IBM all the ay.. all are nice; HP, dell, gateway, compaq.. but i love my IBM.. its the 3rd one ive owned and id get another...

they have a 3 year warranty and great service...

just my opinion.. but i'd go IBM..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what kinda price am i lookin at
Originally posted by simple_john
Laptop: IBM all the ay.. all are nice; HP, dell, gateway, compaq.. but i love my IBM.. its the 3rd one ive owned and id get another...

they have a 3 year warranty and great service...

just my opinion.. but i'd go IBM..

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
dude you an't getting a dell :madatyou: :madatyou: :madatyou: :madatyou: :madatyou: :madatyou:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
go to ibm.com find a model that suits you then go on line and search for it.. I got mine at tiger direct during a closeout.. it was new but they were coming out with newer models so it was really reduced in price..

a laptop will cost more than a regular pc.. plus they are sort of awkward to use all the time; keyboard is small and so is the monitor...

If you game with it.. id get a regular pc and a big 17" monitor...

but 1300-1600 should get you a nice laptop..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldnt play games takes to much memory I kinda want laptop lol so i cant go laces with it. like trips and grandparents. I go to my grandpas alllll summer

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
Well I have been thinking and I decided to get a laptop so i could keep up with this site in the summer when i go to my grandparents house. What are some good brands? models? I want to be able to have wireless internet on it so i dont have to plug it into nothing except power cord. Thanls:D
Now, you realize your wireless internet will work only if it has a wireless signal nearby. That would be provided the wireless router you purchase, or a public place that offers wireless access. If you take your laptop with you to a place with no wireless signal, you will have to plug it directly into a dial-up (phone) or broadband connection, or you can take your router with you and plug it into the phone or broadband connection and then use it as a wireless. Make sense?

I am an Apple user, so I am not very qualified to advise you on a laptop, but I can tell you the Dell Latitude laptop that I use at work seems to be pretty decent. Not as nice as my wife's iBook, of course! :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
and the router has to be plugged into the phone connection? does that make it so the phone line is busy
Yes, but only when you connect to the internet, unless they have a DSL line, which I doubt since you say they are 10 miles out on a lake.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no they dont. cant you get like a dsl box? and just plug in a power cord? and have no need for any dsl cables or plug into phone line but not make it busy?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
no they dont. cant you get like a dsl box? and just plug in a power cord? and have no need for any dsl cables or plug into phone line but not make it busy?
No. DSL or ADSL is a broadband signal that travels through the phone line from a local telephone company's central office. A DSL modem or box is used to feed the broadband connection to your PC. You can talk over the same phone line while your connected to the internet. That and the broadband speed make it a nice alternative to just plain dialup service.

So no, you can't run DSL without a DSL line from your phone company.

Another alternative to not tying up your phone line is a broadband cable connection, which utilizes an existing cable TV connection.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Dialup = Phone Line
DSL = Phone Line
Cable = Cable TV Line

Cable and DSL are two different things. You can use any of these methods, provided you have that service at whatever place you are using your PC.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts